iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The diesel upgrade

Started by Kingcha, December 03, 2012, 10:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Cool little diesels.......I dont know, I suppose as stated it would depend upon the specific diesel they are using..... I have a TON of Yanmars here and they always fire right up and are REALLY dependable. I just borrowed a buddies homemade high performance log splitter with a little diesel, it is REALLY effiecent and doesnt give off really any offfending fumes. We had some temps in the mid 20's and she fired right up. His was a "Perkins", not sure if it is grey market of not, but neat little unit and used hardly any fuel. I think one thing to consider is the lack of complex ignition systems on diesel engine and the BIGGIE, many small engines are suffering from Ethynol issues, I know current production gasser power units may have solved that, BUT what will they add/subtract next? Diesel is pretty straight forward, some additives if necessary. But no show stoppers like Ethynol . That would be the REAL decision maker for me......AND the fuel will keep REALLY long periods of time verses just a month (max recommended for gas as Ethy attracts moisture)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

I had the 15 HP kohler gas engine on my first LT15, and on the one I have now, it has the 25 HP kohler gas engine.  The 15 HP did just fine, and the 25 HP does very fine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MotorSeven

I'm glad you asked this question as I have been pondering the up-grade on a LT35.
Having a 300 gallon diesel tank(and a farm tax number) on the place makes me lean towards it. But the $2200 price difference makes me hesitate.

Dgdrls brings up a good point. I wonder if WM has the torque curve charts to compare the engines? I assume WM knows what they are doing when it comes to power plants, but seeing stats might be more convincing.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!