iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to forum.been sawing for one year.

Started by MikeBreaux, March 10, 2016, 08:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeBreaux

I have cut oak,pine,cypress,sinker cypress,cherry and others.someone is bringing me a persimon log to cut .just wondering if anyone has suggestions to give him as what to cut this into.simply because he was asking me.
Running a Woodmizer LT 40

downsouth

Welcome to the forum Mike.
I guess it depends on how big the log is,and what the customer wants to do with it. I'm sure a few others will chime in.
  I have never cut persimmon, but I hear it is pretty stuff.

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

drobertson

Howdy Mike, not sure what to tell you on the persimmon, I've sawn a few, small one, not much heart wood in them,  it takes a little bigger than what I sawed to get the good stuff, as ds mentioned, it depends on what his plans are,, looking forward to seeing some of your neck of the woods,  have a great week end,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MikeBreaux

MikeBreaux

thecfarm

MikeBreaux,welcome to the forum.
What kind of mill you got?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MikeBreaux

MikeBreaux

Here are some slabs that I cut out of oak and cypress.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello MikeBreaux, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Add your location and your sawmill to your profile so that your questions are more easily answered.  Of course when I saw your name I knew South Louisiana.  :)

Persimmon is a sorta oddball specialty species and it's use is determined by the customer.  The only Persimmon that I have ever sawn was for building a Pirogue.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MikeBreaux

I will yet everyone know how it comes out.

brianJ

Thats a very nice coloring on your slabs.   In particular I love the one on the inside of your forks in that second picture. ;D

bkaimwood

Quote from: Magicman on March 10, 2016, 09:37:06 PM
Hello MikeBreaux, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Add your location and your sawmill to your profile so that your questions are more easily answered.  Of course when I saw your name I knew South Louisiana.  :)

Persimmon is a sorta oddball specialty species and it's use is determined by the customer.  The only Persimmon that I have ever sawn was for building a Pirogue.
I thought a pirogue was something you are? They are good fried in butter and onions...
bk

sandsawmill14

Quote from: MikeBreaux on March 10, 2016, 08:51:02 PM
I see a la. Flag flying I'm from la. To

from la ???  los angeles  ??? lower alabama ???   just kidding welcome to ff :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

QuoteI thought a pirogue was something you are? They are good fried in butter and onions...
I have no idea what you are talking about?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Hand plane makers prefer persimmon.  If he plans to sell it, cut it thick; I saw it at 9/4. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Quote from: bkaimwood on March 11, 2016, 07:48:45 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 10, 2016, 09:37:06 PM

I thought a pirogue was something you are? They are good fried in butter and onions...

It's a boat. :D I build them all the time.

Welcome a board Mike. Down the road a ways from you. Hope you staying dry.

LAZERDAN

Yup and it's got an area.
A pirogue (or piragua or piraga) can be one of several kinds of small boats. One kind is associated particularly with the Cajuns of the Louisiana marsh.                           Lazerdan

fishfighter

We use them from one end of the state to the other. ;D I had built way over 100 for people all over the south.

I used to do building classes were I would have 10-15 people come and build there own with me over looking/helping. Kind of cool seeing first time builders building something that is just about a lost art around these parts. Tried my best to pass this on to younger people.

jwade

fishfighter

That was one that only had 12 screws in it. Everything else is glued and peg built. I had raffled it off to raise some money for a cancer victim. Was the second one I did for this. The little one is used to serve boil crawfish. ;D

Oh, I learn how to build these when I was around 8 years old from a uncle.

WV Sawmiller

Fishfighter,

Good looking boat. I assume they are used pretty exclusively in bayous and calmer water.

I had an old mentor when I was growing up who built several boats including his own he built to reduce weight by being able to remove all the catwalks and seats so he could handle it in his old age. He would start with a good straight wide cypress or juniper board for sides and used marine plywood and brass screws or nails. I always regret I never got him to help me build one before I left home.

MM,

You said you sawed some persimmon for a pirogue. Did they use it as sheeting for the sides and decking or for the framing or everything?

When I worked in Cameroon and Guinea the locals built heavy plank boats by hand and used them as work boats. One common use was to go out into the mangroves and river and dig sand and gravel. One man would dive down with a bucket and fill it with sand and gravel and the other would pull it up. I have seen the boats filled within a couple of inches of the gunnels and operators coming down the Wouri River in Douala Cameroon stark naked. They would slip on a pair of shorts at the landing. The sand and gravel would be screen using 1/2" hardware cloth at a 45 with the sand thrown against it. Often people would be there making cinderblocks with metal forms and let them air dry. They would mound up sand and cement like a volcano and ad water from the river in the center till they got the right mixture then pour it in the forms, let dry a minute, tap the form to loosen the cement, lift the form and repeat. I'm not saying the blocks would have ever pass our QC guys but is what the locals used.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fishfighter

WV, yes, they are used as back water boats. Back in the old days, they were made as dug outs out of cypress logs. Later on, they were built out of cypress planking. Then plywood came on the market.

In the future, if and when I get some time. I going to build a nice one out of cypress.

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 12, 2016, 04:16:17 PMMM,  You said you sawed some persimmon for a pirogue. Did they use it as sheeting for the sides and decking or for the framing or everything?
I have no idea.  The logs were small as in the 8-10" range and I sawed the boards 3/8" thick which sounded like maybe lapped sheeting. 

Thank You Sponsors!