iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horsepower & Sawing Speed

Started by DR Buck, October 02, 2004, 08:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

:P

OK,  I'm confused.  

I'm using a WM LT40HDG25.  If I drive the saw to fast, I get wavy cuts.  Especially in harder woods. This happens to some extent even with a new blade.    Blade speed is fixed at an optimum ft per minute.

So, how can having more horsepower help me cut faster?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tom

Because blade speed isn't fixed.

As the engine bogs the blade speed slows.  An engine with more horses will have the reserve to hold the blade speed at its rated FPM.

There are other things that will influence wavy cuts as well, so it's hard to blame them on just one thing.

D._Frederick

DR-,

The higher horsepower saws have guides that support the blade on both the top and bottom to prevent twisting. They also tension the blade to the maximum allowed tension. The other variables that effect sawing is blade thickness, tooth spacing, set and hook. For maximum sawing speed, you need to match the blade to the wood being sawed.

Is your mill aligned to the manufactures spec's?

ladylake

Buck
I haven't been at sawing to long but have found if everything is set up good I can work the snot out my 27HP with no waves.  Keep the guide rollers aligned good with the blade level with the mill. Make sure to have enough set, too little and you'll get waves every time and plenty of water or lube to keep any gum from forming.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beav

I think in most cases it has to do with the length of your nose :D

ladylake

Beav
Are you trying to say I can't use 27HP and saw straight? I've had it out of whack and couldn't saw straight for at all and set up good and able to use all the power and more .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beav

Ladylake- I'm sorry, that wasn't aimed at you,it was meant for the guys who can always saw better, run faster,etc. I have a good idea what a mizer will do, I've been doin it for 19 years.
   I think most of the "speed"comes from not having to think about what you're doing next, and having the jobsite set up properly.
   No matter how good you are though, there is always someone who will tell you how much faster than you they are. They are the ones with the growing noses. They usually don't know as much as you do. ;)

chevymetal

Buck,

Cook's Saw has some good articles that have helped me in the past:
http://www.cookssaw.com/Articles/bandsawblades.php
2003 Cook's Accu-trac AC-36
51hp Perkins Diesel
Cuttin' for a Livin'

FeltzE

Dr,

What kind of blade are you using? 1.25 or 1.5 inch blades? ?
and what thickness?

The thicker the blade the greater the beam strength, consequently the greater beam strenght allows for higher tension and greater feed pressure. The primary draw back of these small blades is that they are in fact the most economically small blade designed to cut lumber. The trade off between the size of true commercial blades is size, the large commercial mills use the larger blades capable of greater feed pressure with incredably higher tensions and power requirements.

Also keep in mind the quality of wood you are sawing can dramatically effect the projected sawing speed of these mills.

A good example is what I primarily deal with, large knotty often drier pine logs. They are harder to saw and very prone to wavy cutting. Where as some of our FF members are cutting fresh truly saw grade logs. These saws really shine in a fresh cut clear 16 inch log!

If you are experiencing cronic problems start with a quick check of alignment, blade sharpness, and switch to a clear fresh log (clean of mud and debris). A little mud in the bark is all it takes to dull a blade in one or two cuts to a degree not worthy of sawmilling.

Good luck

Eric

sparks

Dr_Buck, Tom is correct. The better you keep the blade speed up the faster you can cut. With all things being equal, except the engine, a 15hp will not out saw a 25hp which will not outsaw a 42hp etc, etc. Wrong blade for what your cutting will effect speed no matter what power plant you use. With everything correct we tell our customers to saw as fast as you can without waving. That means push the mill until it waves then back out and you'll get a good idea how fast you can go. This may vary from log to log. Happy sawing everyone.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Gilman

Has anyone bought the cooks Band Video?  If so, what did you think of it?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!