iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Flying Stamp

Started by Jeff, August 28, 2007, 06:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Many of you know that our long time member Stamp is usually away on fire duty out west or somewhere far awayfrom home here in Michigan. This year her duties as fire information officer have brought her closer to home as Michigan has its own fire woes. The Sleeper Lake fire, the third largest in Michigan history, which is still burning in our Upper Peninsula.   Ada sent me this e-mail ( she sent it a week or so ago however I am late sharing with you as I was up looking at the smoke.  :)  Ada, Thanks so much for all you do. :)

From Ada:

"This is how I spent one morning -- on a recon flight in a Blackhawk.  They let me hang out the window and everything..."

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I loved flying in them Huey's. Just didn't like the locale  :o >:( ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

customsawyer

That is not a huey it is a blackhawk A.K.A. crashhawk for the way it don't fly.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Radar67

All helicopters are crash hawks if something goes wrong...they all fly like rocks when the motor dies.

As for the Blackhawk, I've flown in them (as a passenger) for more than 800 hours with no incidents.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

customsawyer

I have never had a incident in them either that was just what we called them up at ft bragg. I only ever saw one of them crash and if understood it right it was due to pilot error and had nothing to do with the bird.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Fla._Deadheader

I knew it wasn't a Huey  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ARKANSAWYER

I like to throw a rope out the door and bail out for a nice glide to the ground.  I prefer Hueys for this task but will bail out of most any thing.  I like going AUSY style so I can see what is a comming.  At least no one is shooting at her.  My Sister fights them fires and has been trying for years for me to join in the fun.  Nope! I would prefer to sit here on the ground and make sawdust.
ARKANSAWYER

Radar67

Where did you go to Air Assault school Arky? I attended at Ft. Campbell in 86. Nothing like a night combat rappel to get your blood pumping.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

customsawyer

Any time I jumped out of them I had one of those big pair of bloomers over me as the rope wouldn't reach the ground form 1500'. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ARKANSAWYER

Ft. Hood started a school but politics got involved and the Army pulled the pins.  So off to Ft. Campbell.  Rappeling school in ChedJu Korea, Black Rock AK for Mountain and Glacer training.  If you can do it on a Rope I am your Dope.  Did a 300ft single rope where you were 1600 ft about the ocean with a veiw to kill for.  You can give me some line and a snap link and I am gone.
  Never fond of the bed sheets but would Stand up, Hook up and Shuffel to the door any time.
ARKANSAWYER

Radar67

I headed the bed sheet route....harness snapped in Tower week and busted both ankles. Had to settle for AA school and duty at Campbell after that. Wouldn't change it if I could.

I used to run a tower for the Boy Scout COPE course, the instructors motto was "COPE is my dope, come get high with me". I miss working that course.

Stew

DanG

Stew, ya shoulda landed on yer head like them other guys. ::)  I never figgered that jumpin' outta a airplane was a right bright thing to be doin' anyway.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Well DanG, I consider the busted ankles a wake up call, see I was young and dumb during those days, I had airborne ranger in my contract and was headed to 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger s after airborne school. I'm glad I got to serve with the 101st.

Stew

submarinesailor

You guys are all nuts.  Jumping out of the perfectly good air frame, ether on a rope or with bed sheets. ::) ::) ::)  Give me a nice safe submarine, with nuclear weapons and nuclear power, any day. ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;D ;D

Bruce

sawguy21

I will second DanG's thoughts, I don't like heights. Bruce, the idea of someone shooting while I'm trapped in a can doesn't do anything for me either. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Radar67

Bruce is that a glowing aura I see around you?  Na, just to much nuclear exposure.... :D :D :D

Stew

Thank You Sponsors!