iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there an industrial swing saw ?

Started by rfa, January 30, 2006, 01:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Thats a good looking mill  :)

I wouldn't worry about holddowns for the main frame, the Peterson / Lucas mills dont need them and they would be a lot lighter than your machine. If the saw does begin to lift it pulls the teeth away from the cut and the lift disapears. You might get a slight bounce thats all. The saw wont bind at the front of the cut, but it may at the back as released tension moves a cut board.
Installing a splitter to follow the blade on the vertical cut may be a good option.

Re guards: Two reasons, to stop hands and feet getting into the blade, and to catch debris that the blade throws. If you end up cutting thru a loose knot inside a log the blade can kick it out at speed. Peterson also recomend wearing chainsaw chaps / helmet / face shield as things can get around guards.  I took a hit in the shin from a lump of wood that launched from my mill, left a good bruise even thru the chaps :o
I imagine at the moment there is a rain of sawdust when you do the vertical cut  :D

But the mill is looking sweet. Not portable perhaps, but it should work well  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

D._Frederick

Dangerous_Dan,

Thanks for the extra photo's about aligning the pivot bearings for the swing saw.

Looking over the photo's again, you did turn the saw arbor in one piece and not try to weld the saw flange on it I hope?
A weld on the saw flange will break in time resulting in a loose saw blade.  On the big circle mill arbor, the fixed collar is shrunk on, no welds.

jpgreen

I like the adjusting bolts on those pillow blocks.  Filing that in memory for future use.

Please get a blade guard on her soon Dan. smiley_angel02_wings
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Dangerous_Dan

The phase converter was built from a 5 hp motor and a kit from ebay. The kit uses a current sensing relay for the start circuit and some capacitors and a big contactor. Cost was about $70. A great deal and works, ok. It's still not "real" 3 phase but it works.
The arbor shaft is made of 3 pieces. 1 1/4 steel shafting (the biggest standard size that fits through the spindle in my lathe), a steel disk that forms the flange and a sleeve. The collar is welded to the disk. This assembly is now bored out in a lathe for a press fit on the shaft. A 45 degree angle is machined in the face/bore of the blade side about 3/8 inch wide. The shaft is press fit and pushed through the flange 3/16 inch (thickness of blade).  A mig weld is made in the 45 degree groove connecting the flange to the shaft. This shaft assembly is now chucked up in a lathe and faced off, including machining the protruding shaft down as the pilot for the blade. The weld is not taking any load, it's just there for extra assurance that nothing will move. The forces exerted on the blade do not go through a weld. The shaft fits into the blade.
Blade guard is coming along.
First you make it work, then you trick it out.

Dan out -

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Fla._Deadheader

That,s some nifty knitting, D' Dan.  Awesome project.
  A couple of things from my VERY limited experience running a Peterson. Yesterday, we were sawing right along, and the blade started dragging. We were sawing up hill a little, so I leaned into the cut a little more. This is Ohoche Wood, pretty Hard. Finally shut the motor off in mid-cut. Backed out of the cut and tried again. NO-GOOD. Messed around checking all kinds of things, but, before making adjustments, I checked the carriage travel track What happened was, the board had bowed UP-EDGEWISE, (2 X 6) and lifted the carriage off the track and the wheel was off the track. Ended up burning a blue spot in the blade, right this heavy wood outt the front of the saw, that was 2" thick and just at 8" wide, X 15" long. Cold have been a really nasty bruise.

Good job on that mill. Were was a when I started bulding a Swinger  ::) ::) 
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

All I can say is there are very few bastions of "American Ingenuity" left and that certainly happens at the Morristown address Dan lives at. Knowing Dan is fairly busy I would not encourage everyone to visit him but man if you ever get an invitiation CAPITALIZE on it.

As far as not being "MOBILE" don't count that out, how many guys have a tub grinder, excavator(s),...on and on laying out back just in case you need it. Trust me it is mobile.

Dan, I have a few extra Frick blades hanging around, care to power one up??

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dangerous_Dan

It's outside, leveled and making sawdust.

These are my homemade logs dogs.

getoverit

Thats mighty impressive, Dan !! ;)

Keep up the good work !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

fstedy

8) 8) 8) Looks great Danny I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Do you have that big pile of logs wittled down yet?
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Jeff

I am really impressed. Very very KEWL!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wiam

dancan

I'm impressed ,very nice .
A little of topic but what kind of dump truck is that ?

jpgreen

That's the famous "Unimog" isn't it?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Dangerous_Dan

Yup, Mercedes Benz Unimog 406.
This one was actually sold by J.I. Case with a Case 580 Backhoe mounted to the rear.
6 cylinder Diesel, 20 speeds forward 8 reverse, 2wd, 4wd and difflocks - shift on the fly. Front, rear and mid PTO's. Remote hydraulics front and rear.
I bought the truck without the Backhoe and made the dump body you see in the pic.
Great truck if you don't mind going slow.

Ironwood

I thought he was talking about the famous F-550 with a 7.3 Powerstroke that was in the backround pulling the trailer with the cherry ppicker on it.  ::)

Reid 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawdust

Wow! you are a talented builder.
Where did you get and what did you pay for the blade and shaft? If I ran across two of them my attempt at a bandsaw might be kaput.
Love the coke machine by the way!

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

sawguy21

Very nice. I like the log dog setup, that is slick 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gustavo

its a different  kind of sawmill
its  is madeup in brasil

its very fast   and is a mix betwen  a sawmill and edger

two larges big saws  in one side  and an edger in the other side  of the same axis
thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

Gustavo

i had put  two photos of this sawmill in my album

gustavo/jujuy argentina

thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

Dangerous_Dan

Here are some updated pix.
I have switched the motor from 15 hp 3 phase to 10 hp 1 phase so it can run off the power to my shop. It's a little slower cutting but no generator buzzing in my ear burning up $7 worth of gas an hour. I think it's costing about 38 cents an hour in electricity too run.
I have added a current meter to monitor load on the motor.
Also added a knob on the front of the mill and connected it with some shafting and some miter gears that operate the carrage lock for right to left. Originally I was reaching right past the belts with no guards. This new knob and gear setup is faster and safer.

Captain

Looks good DD.  I've got to make a visit and try that 10hp 1 phase with you.  I'm trying to decide how to power my (future) stationary swingmill.

Captain

uncle john

I am still looking for a saw. I happen to like the band mills, but the Brand X swing mill looks interesting. Well built as well.
I sent away and received an information packet that included a DVD.
They are not inexpensive, however
Perhaps someone on this forum has experience with this mill and could share.

here is the link:

http://www.brandxsawmills.com/
Opportunity is missed by most people because
it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
-  Thomas A. Edison

woodbowl

Welcome to the forum uncle john. You can go to sawmills and milling and click iron inventory to see what type of sawmills and equiptment members have, including Brand X. Don't forget to include your own mill when you decide what your going to get.  ;)  Here's the link.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=16971.0
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawdust

Any one ever considered building along the line of a huge radial arm saw on a carriage? I was looking at mine last night, putting the arm on a carriage would be easy.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Tom

You have practically reinvented the Mobile Dimension Sawmill.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!