iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another DanG bear attack, eh?

Started by Murf, September 16, 2005, 01:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murf

Dr. Jacqueline Perry, 31, was mauled at a remote campsite in Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park

Fatal bear attack renews calls for bear hunt
CTV.ca News Staff

An Ontario doctor and her husband became the latest victims of a bear attack that left the woman dead and her husband seriously injured.

The tragedy has prompted conservation groups to renew their call for a return of the spring black bear hunt.

The Northwestern Ontario Sportsmen's Alliance and the Canadian Outdoor Heritage Alliance say the spring hunt would help manage the number of black bears. They say without the hunt, bears no longer fear humans and consider people part of their "wilderness buffet."

The latest attack occurred Tuesday at a remote campsite in Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park, about 80 kilometres north of Chapleau, Ont. and has police and wildlife officials hunting for the wounded black bear.

Ontario Provincial Police said Dr. Jacqueline Perry, 31, and Marc Jordan, 30, were mauled during a camping trip.

"While the bear was attacking the female, the male managed to stab it a few times with a knife," police Const. Karen Farand told The Canadian Press.

Jordan was flown to a Sudbury, Ont. hospital suffering from severe lacerations. He was expected to require surgery and was listed in serious but stable condition Wednesday.

The black bear had confronted two other men on a hike, Vitas Abrutis and his son, Rytis, shortly before the fatal attack but they were able to fend it off.

Rytis Abrutis heard Jordan's screams about a half hour later.

"We see this guy on a canoe coming toward us screaming "Help, help!"," said Rytis.

Both men helped get Jordan and his wife's body out of the canoe.

"I saw the guy real bloody and he told me there's a dead woman inside. She was really badly injured. You could see real deep injuries," said Vitas.

Due to the remote location, it took rescuers more than an hour to reach the victims, police said.

"That area takes approximately at least an hour or more to get to, plus there was a 10-kilometre boat ride to the area," Farand told CP.

In Cambridge, where Dr. Perry was due to start working in emergency medicine at Grandview Medical Centre, the flag was lowered to half mast. Her co-workers are said to be in deep shock.

"The news we've heard today is absolutely devastating," said Dr. Cathy Morris, the hospital's chief of staff.

Morris went on to say that Dr. Perry was a "very respected, energetic, vibrant physician."

The area where Dr. Perry was attacked is home to many black bears and has had more than its usual share of bear sightings this year, officials say.

Hunters are blaming Ontario's cancellation of the spring bear hunt for the rise in the bear population.

"The black bear population in Ontario has exploded. It's just ballooned out of control," said Jim Lawrence of the Canadian Outdoor Heritage Alliance.

The attack is just the latest in a rash of bear attacks across Canada.

A Manitoba man fended off a black bear in early September, just one week after a black bear killed another man in the province.

There have also been four grizzly attacks in Alberta since June, including a fatal one on a female jogger near Canmore. A woman in British Columbia was also mauled in May.

While there has been an increase in bear sightings, the ones that attack and kill are almost all in remote areas.

Wildlife officials are predicting more encounters with bears as people continue to encroach on their habitats.

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

sawguy21

"There have also been four grizzly attacks in Alberta since June, including a fatal one on a female jogger near Canmore."

She and several others were jogging on a trail that had been posted off limits due to bear activity. Can't think of a better way of provoking an attack.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kirk_Allen

Statistically Black Bears have more human kills than Grizzlies.  While living in Alaska the subject would come up with tourist who would see a black bear and think it was cute.

Little do they know that in most cases, black bears eat what they kill on the spot.  Grizzlies will bury there food and come back and eat it after it starts rotting.  When we went through our arctic survival training we had a Fish & Game bear expert teach us how to handle bear encounters.  I will never forget the last part of that class. 

"If, after everything discussed and you are still attacked, remember, if its a Black Bear, FIGHT FOR YOU LIFE!  They will eat you on the spot.  If its a Grizzly, PLAY DEAD.  They will stop the maul after all motion has stopped and either walk away and come back later or they will pile dirt and grass over you for a future meal.  When they leave, you have a chance to get away."

Ernie_Edwards

Back in the ninetys I lived in southern Arizona. My mule riding buddies daughter was chaperoning a group of 4-H kids up in the mountains above Tucson. They were in an established and heavily used USFS campground. A blackbear tore into her tent late at night and drug her out of the tent. Everyone (mostly kids) were screaming but the bear was determined. He would hold her and back up away from the crowd while eating her scalp and then started eating her buttocks and meaty part of the back of her legs. All the while she was fighting as best she could. The bear was not intimidated by the people there at all. Finally a neighboring camper with a gun came and shot the bear. The girl survived but will carry the mental and physical scars of that attack for the rest of her life.

Never underestimate a black bear.

SwampDonkey

Seen some fresh bear tracks yesterday  :o It was funny the other day I thought I herd a bear grunting at me, sounded just like it. Well, it was a Dang cow moose.  :o I musta drove her from her food trough, she went trotting through the brush 'a huff'n and puff'n.  It was funny last week I could'a jumped on the back of two curious cow moose. That woulda beena  ride. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Ya know, it's funny...  (funny odd, not funny haha)...

Not to make light of people who are injured by animals...  but...

We've had two "attacks" on people by Zoo animals in the last 3 weeks here in Oz.

The first one, a boy on a school trip (Who was old enough to know better) jumped the barrier to pat the leopard...  now -1 finger.

The second one, a woman (yes, a full grown adult) jumped the barrier to pick flowers through the bars of the lion cage... also -1 finger.

And, some 3 years ago, same zoo, same lion enclosure, a woman wanted to PAT the lion through the bars, and whilst doing so, the lioness got upset and again...  -1 finger.

Now, these were all cases where the people had gone past safety barriers and darned big signs saying don't pat, these are WILD they bite.. etc...

Now, the zoo says they will install electric fences to keep the animals away from the bars of the cage.

I say install electric fences on the OUTSIDE to keep the idiots away from the lions. Or, better still, if'n these people still insist on stupidly bypassing all warnings, they should summarilly be thrown to said lions as dinner. I mean, do we REALLY want people THAT dumb procreating??? 

Ya gotta wonder.

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

crtreedude

This might sound extreme from someone who is involved in reforestation - but I think Disney animal movies should be outlawed!  >:(

I think that the 20 foot boa on the farm is cool, I love seeing the paw print of a mountain lion and tapir - AND WE ALL HAVE REALLY SHARP MACHETES!

A big predator will eat you - people without weapons are pretty lame - cows and horses will put up more of a fight. A horse can kill a mountain lion (especially a herd) but you probably won't with your bare hands - unless you are Tarzan of course.  ::)

When I take people on the farms - I almost always have my "This isn't a Disney movie" lecture. You wouldn't believe what people do anyway.

When Hector loses his tan (starts turning white as a ghost) I know someone just did something stupid.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

:D :D :D Sometimes I think the Darwin Awards are not bestowed often enough.

Modat22

Can a person legally carry a firearm into a national park? I can't remember if you could or couldn't.
remember man that thy are dust.

ellmoe

I remember a quote from an old man, raised in the woods in Canada, "Only one black bear out of a hundred will attack you., but they don't come in numerical order!"

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Murf

That's right up there with "you don't have to outrun a bear, just the person running beside you"......  :D

crtreedude

Aw - my secret is out - why do you think FDH is invited down?  ::)

Jeff

:D I figured that was why you been trying to get me to come visit. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Well, you can only use a person for ONE episode - right?   ;)

You have to protect me from the 20' boa....

Of course, given your attitude about snakes, you just might pass me which would be a problem...

Jeff

If I ever come down there I want my own machete.

Murf

No Boss, yer all confused, Fred wants you to come an visit for the free IT help, Harold is fer bear-proofin' da place.

:D

crtreedude

You can have your own machete - in fact, I'll get you one and have Forestry Forum done up on the leather sleeve for you as something to remember the trip from.

SwampDonkey

crtreedude, you keepin the machete after the trip as a trophy, and let'n the snake have Jeff ??? ;D

When you go on camping trips you're stuck right out in nature
Foraging the forests like a primate
Using sharpened tools instead of hotplates

Your thumb and forefinger supposed to show you're not a wild beast
You can hear their noises at night time
They don't have to keep a certain bedtime

See in the shapes of my body
Leftover parts from apes and monkeys

Sometimes when I lie awake I hear the rainfall on my tent fly
I think of all the insects that are sleeping
And wonder if the animals are dreaming

In the days of the caveman and mammoths and glaciers
Bugs and trees were your food then; no pyjamas or doctors

And when I finally get to sleep, I dream in technicolor
I see creatures come back from the Ice Age
Alive and being fed inside a zoo cage

In the days of the caveman and mammoths and glaciers
Bugs and trees were your food then; no pyjamas or doctors

The Crashtest Dummies ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

I would never let a snake get Jeff - after all, my link (my advertising here) is doing wonderful things for my search listings.

For example - if you search on "Buy tropical hardwood" I am now #4! Jeff - you are safe.

sawguy21

Quote from: Modat22 on December 12, 2005, 09:08:08 AM
Can a person legally carry a firearm into a national park? I can't remember if you could or couldn't.
Here they have to be unloaded and sealed while being transported through the parks.

SwampDonkey

Fresh bear tracks this morning, notice the new fox tracks also. This bear back tracked in his steps, I found that curious. Down the road I saw tracks of another bear with 2 cubs. They all followed in moma bears tracks. Once in awhile they left her path, then came back to her path walking in her steps. I also find that very interesting as well.

Ron Scott

Aren't they seeking out dens there yet??
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Ron, yes they would have their dens already. But there is no snow to amount to anything <1 inch. As long as they can get food easily, like old cow carcasses or  unharvested corn they will roam about, but not far from there special winter place (den). We've always had alot of bears here in my area. I been trying to get a winter picture of one. Last winter they were late retiring to their dens also. The other day I thought I was in luck, but it was a cow moose. Sure sounded like a bear. The last few years our deep snow has been late so I think it has the animals all messed up. I'm no means a bear expert. But even on the Charlottes where it wasn't very cold and even no snow to speak of, the bears always denned. The rest of the year they would come into camp and have to be live trapped. They only got one chance and got a nice spot of blue paint on the rump to ID them.

I was really surprised this morning to come across a blue heron track. It's quite friged here now (5 F) the last couple days. Suppose to go down to -2 F tonight. But, the streams and rivers have not even chilled, untill this morning it did a little.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

Wow!  Thats quite a story for that fellow.

Thank You Sponsors!