iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats goin on here? We know ;o)

Started by Jeff, March 30, 2006, 10:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I am up to Chet's for a few days and thought some of you might like a view of a practice that may be very strange and unusal to many, even those of you that have been in the wood biz for a long time. I am sure there are a few that may know, but can you guess from these photos what is going on? This yard is in Iron River. Clue: The prep process has been achieved.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tnlogger

wal now it looks to me like a staging yard for break up  :D :D

gene

Shotgun

Hey, can I guess too?  There was a yard with the same thing in Sidnaw a couple of years ago.  I have very similiar pictures, only mine were taken in Sept., but without the snow in the background.  Bet it's the same thing. Have been going to write about it and post the pics, but haven't done it.

:D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

Clue: The stacks of wood you see in the photos are not really relevant to what is going on.

Hi NoRM!  wHEN YA COMING HOME?  :)

beenthere

Looks like chip storage, where some pre-digestion is employed using bacteria to begin the 'pulping' process.  ::) eh?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Nope, I'd like to say thats not even close, so I'll say, Thats not even close. ;) :)

beenthere

None too surprising, as I can't even locate the black pig with the 'obvious' clues.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

A drive thru treatment center to get rid of bugs ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Extra extra!  Forum extras!  I'll shut up now on that. This isnt the proper pig clue distribution point. ;D

Joan! Joan!

no. ;)

Furby

Is the pile dirt or wood product?
Can't tell from the pic but it looks like dirt in the first one.

Jeff

johncinquo

I wood guess that is the annual chipping and dyeing operation for ornamental mulch.   Every spring you see the 1000s of yards delivered to all the nurseries, plant shops, flower places, etc.  Then you see all the weekend warriors show up with pickups and trailers to pay big $ for it.  Then they cart it home, spread it around the plants and bushes to make the house look purty, and keep the weeds from growing in the beds.     Last time I bought it was $17 for 1/3 of a yard.  The places that sell that stuff make a killing.  

If I have the time this year I am digging all mine out and putting in red lava rock.  More up front, but way cheaper in the long run.  The mulch breals down and only lasts about 2 years.  

Then there was the time I was tired of the faded red mulch, and decided I would apply a nice spraying of RIT dye to it all.   I later had to replace all the carpets in the entry way!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Murf

Looks like somebody is tryin' ta make a heap o' compost outta da biggest saw'r dust pile I seen in a long spell.  ::)

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Jeff

Nope to all of that.  You might be srpriced to see what a cross section view looked like if I could cut that pile in half.  We probably wont be able to get the revealing photo until late summer.  Composting is actually far from what is going on here.

dewwood

Does it have anything to do with ice and keeping it thru the summer?
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

sandmar

Hey Jeff!!!!!!...........I don't have a clue ::)

Sandmar

isawlogs

They are piling sawdust , shavings to keep ice over summer for theose UP's dat dont own or have acess to a fridge .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Quote from: dewwood on March 30, 2006, 12:42:21 PM
Does it have anything to do with ice and keeping it thru the summer?

You are on the right train, but maybe the wrong track...

Minnesota_boy

It's a concentration yard and they are using piles of chips on top the pulp to keep it from drying out and to keep some of the bugs out.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

close, but not good enough to be the answer required. :)

Jeff

Its simply amazing to me the money that was spent here to save a tremendous amount of money down the road.

Minnesota_boy

How about I change that from pulp to pine saw logs and they are trying to deter the blue stain and sawyer beetle larvae?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Ron Wenrich

I was going to say veneer instead of pine.  We buried white oak logs in the summer, and they were good come fall.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Woodhog

It is a stockpile of hog fuel... for generating steam/electrical power....!!!!

Ax- man

Is that pile serving as a temporary barrier to protect whatever is inside???  Is their a pile of dirt under the chips??

Looks like the land was recently leveled recently because there are bits and pieces of trees on the sides of the road.

I'll take a wild guess and say to keep the ground underneath frozen or dry so they can work it during the early spring  to avoid mud season.

Larry

Thank You Sponsors!