iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

interior timber finishes

Started by Thehardway, October 19, 2007, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

Here is a picture of the finishes I am considering using.

First (left of photo) is cherry finished natural with a light coat of linseed oil.  This will be used for struts in kingpost truss

Second is natural White Oak.  The spline in the truss will be finished like this.

Third is White oak that has been "ebonized" or turned black chemically with a solution steel wool dissoved in a cup of white vinegar and brushed on and allowed to dry.  The peice in the picture that is black I did last night and was impressed with the results.  Easy to apply, easy to clean up, and no harsh chemical fumes, just the smell of vinegar.  I plan to use this on the main timbers (rafters, kingpost and tie).   I am interested in pictures or experiences of anyone who has used this technique on something.

Trunnels will be natural Black Locust. (not pictured)

Lastly on the far right is Virginia Pine with a with a whitewashed "pickled" finish.  It is a waterbased MinWax product.  This will be on the "ply-bead" sheeting which will be fastened to the inside of SIPS as the ceiling finish and rest on top of the trusses and 4X6 Virginia Pine purlins (photo below).

This is where I am stuck.  Would you whitewash the purlins to match the ply-bead ceiling or would you finish them natural or something different?

I am planning to use Oiled Bronze or black wrought iron light fixtures to match the black timbers in the kingpost.  Door and window trim will probably be white oak or cherry.  Cabinetry will be natural Hickory.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Max sawdust

Hi, sounds like personal taste. ;) 
I do not think I would white wash the purlins, would finish them natural for a subtle contrast.
For me personally I do not like to stray too far from natural colors except for small accents, like splines, and pegs.

For a test.  I ebonized my red oak jointer push stick last spring.  (Using the steel wool/vinegar method).  It came out jet black, but has faded to medium brown.  Not sure why. 

Interested to know about others experience with the steel wool/vinegar method and fading..

max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thehardway

Max,

Thanks for the response.  I know this is very subject to personal taste but I value others opinions and input.  I read yesterday that whitewashed ceilings or walls were often times spotted black with sponges for a decorative effect in the more wealthy colonial american homes.  Doesn't sound real appealling to me but I suppose people back then got tired of looking at natural wood just like we get tired of looking at paint.  They are lucky they did't have to look at vinyl  :'(

I have heard that on Red oak the ebonizing effect tends to be more purple or brown than on White oak.  Have also read that Oxalic acid will reverse the iron tannate stain and turn the wood back to its natural color.   Does another coat make it black again or does it lose it's darkening ability after time? It would not be good to have it fade to an unpredictable color, that is for sure.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Max sawdust

I should be happy it turned a nice medium brown and not purple :o 
I do not know if it blackens again.. Will have to try it.

I am very interested in the subject of finishing.  I like the white wash idea. Can not wait to see pictures of the finished product..  I have been considering using Aspen or Maple as the second floor subfloor/ first floor ceiling. Maybe doing a white wash or pickling to keep them white ish over time..

I think I will pass on the black sponge painting.. Then again I guess I would need to see how it looked.  As you say, it sure would beat vinyl..Heck I would even use SYP over Vinyl   ;) :D :D :D

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!