Retipper in SF Bay Area?

Started by FAlvarez, August 12, 2020, 08:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAlvarez

Anyone know of a good retipper anywhere around the San Francisco Bay Area?

maple flats

For what size blade?
I built a re-tipping jig using Peterson's directions and taught myself to braze new carbide teeth on. Look it up in Peterson's library.  It took a little practice but if I did it almost everyone can.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

chep

One of the forum sponsors. Menominee does it all. From tipping to hammering. If you dont mind shipping out your blades its easy. 
I like to support local biz as much as I can, but sometimes for a pro job you got to send them to the pros!

maple flats

Yes, before I got my retipping jig made I sent 2 blades to Menominee for re-tipping, hammering and to copy and make 2 more. They did an excellent job, and turn around was good.
However, after I finished the jig I've done my own. Likely next time I'll send them in for tipping and hammering again. I still have 4 blades, 2 for hardwood, 2 for softwood and don't need more. I don't have a solid concave surface to even attempt to hammer my own. Likely it would take a lot of know how, not just the right support surface anyways.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.