The Maine coast

Started by cutterboy, May 21, 2021, 07:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

My wife and I just got back from a couple of days up in Maine by the ocean. This was the first time in over two years that we had the chance to get away and we enjoyed ourselves very much. Maine is a great state to visit. My son and his wife gave us a very generous gift certificate for a great hotel right on the ocean. We stayed two nights and ate two dinners in their restaurant.

The view from our room.

Much of the Maine coast is very rocky.

There are lots of little coves and harbors where the lobster boats and fishing boats tie up.

And of course there are nice sandy beaches. But the water is too cold for me even in July.

We had a great time.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

And you was in what town?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We are quite fond of both the Maine and the Nova Scotia coasts.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JJ

??? did you know that Maine has the longest coastline of all the lower 48 states?

Southside

That's why you can't get thear from hear.  It's wicked fah.  Things will get all stove up if you try.  Just ride the sled in the door yard.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

cutterboy

Quote from: thecfarm on May 21, 2021, 09:03:40 PM
And you was in what town?
We were in Ogunquit. The little harbor was Perkins Cove. The beach was Ogunquit Beach. Our hotel was Anchorage By The Sea, and the pictures of the rocky coast were taken on a walk along The Marginal Way. All of it was soothing for the soul.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

sawguy21

I have not seen the east coast but it's on my bucket list. I love the west coast away from the cities but water is pretty chilly as well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HemlockKing

We drove the scenic route maine years ago on our couple trips to Florida, absolutely loved driving through every little town and village, it's much like my home Nova Scotia but with little less boreal Forrest features. Myrtle beach in South Carolina, that was a neat endeavour, felt like Mexico in that area. I remember we also stopped into a very old town/city named Savannah and it's was a beauty, old stone roads and such. It's been to long gotta make that trip after earth returns to normal.
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 22, 2021, 04:26:52 PM
I have not seen the east coast but it's on my bucket list. I love the west coast away from the cities but water is pretty chilly as well.
If you do be sure to check out the bay of fundy and if you're up to it the tidal bore boating  :D The valley in general too is a great place it has its own little feel to it
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Magicman on May 21, 2021, 10:00:54 PM
We are quite fond of both the Maine and the Nova Scotia coasts.  8)
Heck ya! Where abouts did you go in Nova Scotia? 
A1

Magicman

I guess about every road on NS.  Caught the ferry to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland from North Sydney, Breton but sadly did not take the camper.  Walking day trip only.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HemlockKing

Quote from: Magicman on May 22, 2021, 09:21:12 PM
I guess about every road on NS.  Caught the ferry to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland from North Sydney, Breton but sadly did not take the camper.  Walking day trip only.  :-X
Awesome! So you’ve been down my way, not much to see here huh :D. This would be the shelburne- barrington area

Best seafood in the world here! I’ve gotten so accustomed to eating seafood straight from the wharf fresh that I can’t even eat seafood in inland areas, doesn’t taste the same
A1

Magicman

We bought boiled lobsters on the dock/wharf several times in NS and also NB.  That trip was in 1995.

I looked at the map and yes, we made the Hwy 1/101-3/103 loop.

Ventryjr

If you get down to southern Maine check out the kittery trading post in kittery, ME
I have haven't been there in a few years but it was a great sporting good store on par with a cabelas or bass pro. Well worth the stop. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

PoginyHill

The original LL Bean in Freeport - also a coastal towns. Store is far from its humble beginnings I knew growing up near there and the area is super busy in the summer - but still fun to visit. Still open 24/7, I believe.
Further up the coast ("downeast" - down meaning lower longitude) tons of quaint coastal communities with less people. Andre the Seal's home of Rockport is a good place.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

peakbagger

There are a lot pockets of the wild Maine coast sprinkled along the coastal necks that reach out into the ocean off of RT1.The Delorme Gazette Map book for Maine is the best resource as it show all the different state and protected lands. Once east of Acadia NP it gets a bit wilder but the coastal lands tend to be developed in narrow strip but compared to development west of Acadia its significantly less developed. There are lot of coastal islands with less development but access is spotty unless you have a sea kayak and the skills to use it. There is a ferry service in Portland that has cruises around the inner Casco Bay which are worth a trip for visitors. 

K-Guy

The Maine coast is nice but I'm not a seafood(except shrimp) lover or a fan of the ocean. I did 3 years with the Canadian Navy and it didn't change my opinion. But the interior of Maine is very much underappreciated by most tourists.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

HemlockKing

Quote from: K-Guy on July 28, 2021, 01:20:24 PM
The Maine coast is nice but I'm not a seafood(except shrimp) lover or a fan of the ocean. I did 3 years with the Canadian Navy and it didn't change my opinion. But the interior of Maine is very much underappreciated by most tourists.
Would never move more than a hour drive away from the ocean. Where I'm at just barely inland it will be 90 f some days, drive 10 minutes it's foggy and 70 lol 
A1