Bar for hot rod 066?

Started by Tom King, December 01, 2021, 09:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

I'm running a 10 tooth sprocket, which makes the motor end of the standard bar a little small (top to bottom), so that the chain only hits the bar forward of the mount.  Is there a bar that has a taller/wider mount end that would fit this saw?

I'm running a 24" bar most of the time.  .050 x 3/8"   High chain speed is fun, but that little chain stretch's with this motor just fast enough to be aggravating with the chain running that free of the back end of the bar.  It's certainly useable, but one that meshes well with that sprocket would be better.

sawguy21

Is it a Stihl bar? I don't think I have seen a 10t rim, it is certainly going to be fat. I don't know that a wider tail is made, the chain would have to climb onto the bar with the more common smaller sprockets.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom King

The Oregon bar I'm using has the same tail shape as a Stihl bar I have in a different length.

That end of the bar curves down, to match the radius of the standard rims. The 10 tooth rim I have is an Oregon (I think).  It's significantly larger in diameter than an 8 tooth.

Using that 10 tooth, the chain meshes with the bar about where the front bar bolt is, so is clear of the bar groove for a few inches.  I'd like to find one where it meshes normally close to the sprocket rim.  It does fine if I keep the chain tight, but it doesn't like the chain to be even a tiny bit slack.

It cuts like a Light Saber with that 10 tooth, so it's worth keeping the chain tight, but it would be a bit less fiddly with some more leeway in chain tightness.

Tacotodd

Question: what is it that you are trying to accomplish? Race saw, ok. Work saw, it'll end up biting you in the rump.

Not trying to be a downer here, only trying to understand the why's.
Trying harder everyday.

Tom King

I don't work every day with it, but do work with it.  It's fun.

So far, cut up a few dozen trees with it.

I cut with a light hand, so never push hard on it, but I do use the dogs sometimes on larger stuff, and good at keeping a chain sharp.

Running a 72EXL with depth gauges at .030.  It throws chips a long ways.

Al_Smith

I stumbled onto a 10 pin clutch  drum in .404 I thought might be a good idea .Had to cut down an old open roller 36" bar and adapt it to fit three  saws .084 Stihl .McCulloch 125 and Homelite 2100S .The Mac would pull it but it didn't like it .The bar is around 18" with a wide heel section because of the drive sprocket size and took me the best part of a day to make .It wasn't such a good idea after all but you'll never know if you never try .

Tom King

I'm pretty sure my .404/.063 rim for that saw is a seven tooth.  I use it with longer bars for stumpin' larger trees.  I just use the little chain, and 10 tooth for cutting up smaller stuff, like 15", and below.  I have used it for 24" Pine trees, and it did fine for those, but if I'd known I had to cut them up, I'd probably have gone with the larger, slower chain.