iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next victom, Highly valuable black walnut

Started by hackberry jake, February 12, 2013, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

If you could get a logging winch on a tractor, and a good winch operator that would lessen the risks.
Also is using a bottle jack to give it some direction a possibility?
Haste makes waste and in this case it could also make splinters, and/or an open house.
Be safe,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Finn1903

Go for it!
Not an impossible job.  Make sure you use a good 5/8" bull rope to something heavy to pull with.  Don't use a lowes or worst yet a harbor freight briaded rope.  Also maybe a block to re-direct the rope to pull with something heavy out of the fall line and on good traction ground. 
Just don't cut the hinge on the back cut.  On the back cut, use the saw to steer the tree.   
Worst case, hinge fails you trash the deck.  Then you can build a new deck out of the black walnut!
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

hackberry jake

Well, bad news. He got bit by the "highly valuable" bug. I guess his neighbor came over and said it was worth major $$$. Now he is looking for a buyer for the tree. Funny thing is, he said his neighbor said "Now thats one big oak tree!" and he informed him that it was a black walnut. Thats when the neighbor told him it was so valuable. It really sounds like this neighbor knows what he's talking about if he thought it was an oak... You win some you lose some. It's about 40" dbh, so I would have a time getting it sawn up anyways.  :( :-[ :-\ :'( :embarassed:
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dodgy Loner

So he's looking for someone to pay him for the privilege of removing the tree for him? There's a quote by P.T. Barnum that I'm trying to remember...something about suckers? minutes? ??? Help me out here guys... ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ianab

I wouldn't give up. More of a postponement than a cancellation.

You notice the neighbour didn't actually offer him any money, or even put him in touch with a buyer...

In a few months the tree will still be there, your deal will be the only one still on the table, and start to look good again.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't know where it is unless I search it....but it's time for this guy to watch the "WALNUT CARTOON".  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

Jake...when he calls you back in a few months after he's failed to find a suc...,I mean buyer, Tell him you,d be glad to...for $1500.00.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Finn1903

deja vu...A guy who brings me logs spent allot of extra time taking down a nice black walnut, blown over into another tree, the tree was straight and a good size.  Even gave the guy a break on the removal, since he was to haul the log off and it was a black walnut.
So, he gets it on the ground and a nosy neighbor comes over and starts talking about how much that log is worth.  Now the guy wants to keep the log, so my friend collected the pay for taking down the tree and left. 
I told him to give the guy my number and I'll come over and mill the log in his driveway.  After a trip charge and hourly rate, paying out of pocket twice for the tree to get down then into lumber, then trying to sell the lumber, how much is that black walnut worth again?
And, in the future, if they want to keep the log, give them my number.  The wood is useless to the homeowner when the log is laying on the ground along side of the garage and no way to move it. 
Win some, loose some.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Delawhere Jack

A guy just across the river in NJ had an english walnut for sale on Cuckoo's List. About 1/3 smaller than that and not as straight, also close to his house. He was only asking..................... Drum Roll................ $10,000!!!!! :D :D And for that modest amount, you get to top it-drop it and cleanup the mess......

Jake, I'd wait awhile, and when he gets no takers, do the math for him. May work, may not. Some people refuse to abandon pipe dreams.

WDH

I knew all along that it was a super highly valuable black walnut  :).  The ones right up next to the house are the most valuable of all  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

I am with Danny a tree that close to the house has got to have lots of value.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

T Welsh

I see this monthly in the tree service side of the business. I will not offer any amount until I see the tree cut. We get paid for the take down and I tell the customer its yours to do what you want with it. I will let it sit where it drops and its on them. after about a month or so they call back and try to sell it back to me, I usually say I offered a fair price to you when we had the equipment there to move it and now I have to bring it back to get the log out and the price is less the equipment and labor charge. My time and equipment doesn't come free. Its the million dollar Walnut syndrome  :D. Tim

ArborJake

Quote from: T Welsh on February 14, 2013, 08:59:04 PM
I see this monthly in the tree service side of the business. I will not offer any amount until I see the tree cut. We get paid for the take down and I tell the customer its yours to do what you want with it. I will let it sit where it drops and its on them. after about a month or so they call back and try to sell it back to me, I usually say I offered a fair price to you when we had the equipment there to move it and now I have to bring it back to get the log out and the price is less the equipment and labor charge. My time and equipment doesn't come free. Its the million dollar Walnut syndrome  :D. Tim
Not just on Walnut logs either. It's sometimes hard to believe the tree's people think have value for timber. I do the same as time and often times go back to pick trunks left for firewood when it's " alot bigger than it looked now that its on the ground."  That guy will probably call you back hackbery.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Brad_bb

You guys don't know what sarcasm is, do you?

I loves me some "highly valuable black Walnut".  But seriously, how the heck do we break this myth once and for all?!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

T Welsh

Education and common sense. The 2 most valuable things missing in today's society. Then add greed and you see why this happens. Tim

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Tree Feller

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 14, 2013, 10:35:52 PM
I loves me some "highly valuable black Walnut".  But seriously, how the heck do we break this myth once and for all?!

We have to wait until the Thousand Canker's Disease has started killing off all the Black Walnuts the way the EAB is doing the Ash trees. The market will be flooded with Walnut lumber and it will be as cheap as Pine.

Of course, once the majority of Black Walnut is gone, it will then become even more highly valuable than those nosy neighbors think it is now.   :D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

dboyt

Couldn't resist, had to look up the cartoon.

This wasn't the one I had in mind, but it makes the point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgQHWQoatg

aah, here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcLlKcXp40
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hackberry jake

:D  :D  :D I'll have to show him those videos. I hadn't seen the first one yet. :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!