iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms 310

Started by smetr333, February 11, 2008, 12:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smetr333

Looking at a new saw will a ms 310 w/20" or 24" bar rip, or is it 2 small of saw.
I may need a pro grade but do not have the $$. Looking at the alaskan smal log mill.
Just going 2 make a bar top and small stuff 4 fun. Is a old 041 better of a 310.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Am sure you will get some good answers and help.

My initial response for 24" bar would be something larger for a saw. But, smaller might just mean going slower. Also might mean that a non-pro saw won't hold up in the long haul on the Alaskan.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cut4fun

I would find someone you can trust and buy a used magnesium cased saw IMO of 70cc plus. You can get those used cheaper then the price of the 310 new.

rebocardo

> but do not have the $$

I ran a chainsaw mill with a Husky 365 using a 28" bar and the Bailey's ripping chain. Wasn't the fastest, but, it did okay in oak and pretty good in pine. I just had to keep the white oak in the 16" range, otherwise it would bog.

zopi

What he said...used pro saw in the 70-90 cc range...there are some deals out there..might have to do a little mechanic job..

I tried it with a 290 when I got started...I had to stop and shave between cuts. then I got a 660...wow.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Greenskeeper

I have just what you need,E-Bay item#190196967992.One day left on the auction.It's a good one and its going cheap.

smetr333

Thank you all, Im going 2 keep the look out 4 a good used saw.Greenskeeper it looks good but the bar is 2 BIG 4 me. And i need 2 get all the $$$ first.

hazard

Just a heads up when you get the mill.  Get the auxillary oiler for the post at the end of the bar.  When I got my mill I was using a stihl 044 with a 36" bar without the oiler.  The saw did not put out near enough oil to lube that large of a bar and I was dulling the chain.  Even with a 24" or 28" bar I would go with the oiler or make your own.

Currently I use a stihl 066 on the mill.  No matter what saw you buy this method of cutting logs take alot of time and endurance.

Goodluck
Chris

smetr333

will i b-ok w/out a add on oiler if i just have a 20" bar.

smetr333

Hi all, i just got a 048av it is set up w/24" bar .Im going 2 try ripping w/it.It looks as if it will rip good it runs good. $150. is not a bad price is it.  8)

ladylake

Good price, at 75cc it will cut a lot faster than a 310.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!