iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 360

Started by Grawulf, August 19, 2008, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grawulf

Oh wise ones of the chainsaw forum - this be my first post here. I have a 4 year old 360 that's been excellent. Made the mistake of visiting the dealer for some new chains.... Started looking at the new 361's - what's the difference between the two saws? Would I be smart to upgrade as I've heard the new ones use less juice. Any more power with the 361? Thanks for your expertice!   Devan

TexasTimbers

Howdy Grawulf. The information you seek is in the link below.

Best MS360 Replacements Discussed
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Old_Hickory

you really might want to look at the 372XP I am really Impressed.
I had always just had small Huskies to compare to larger Stihls.
The bigger Huskies are a whole nother beast from the smaller ones.
Well I admit the 141 is'nt a lot to compare with  but now the 346 XP she rips.
But let me tell you the 372 is a beast.And as everyone says she should get stronger.
Its awhole world difference than my MS 441  advantage 372 XP
gotta love those XP saws

Old_Hickory

let me also say when I had the 441 it would outcut a 361 pretty handly.361 would'nt have a chance against the 372 XP
gotta love those XP saws

TexasTimbers

I was funnin ya on the link wulf. Comparing a 361 to a 372 is not apples to apples.

I have never run an MS 361 but I understand pound for pound they are considered as good as the 372 for their class, which is about 10cc less. the 372 is heavier in the woods, and in the wallet too I think.

I'd like to have an MS361 actually to go between my Dolmar 5100S and the 372xp. :)

sawguy21

Welcome aboard Grawulf. Have a coffee and pull up a stump.
The MS361 is a marked improvement over it's predecessor, lighter, smoother and faster.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old_Hickory

hey did'nt they try to follow Husky  making it
gotta love those XP saws

beenthere

A Husky man told me that each follows the other....when the other gets a bit ahead on technology, performance, and design. 

The MS361 will be a classic, I'm thinkin, based on its success so far.  Just an opinion.  ;D ;D

I like mine a lot.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmilllawyer

Really like my MS 361 does'nt have the grunt of the MS 460 Mag but does'nt weigh nearly as much. The 361 with the right blade 20" and chain RSC can be and is pretty wicked.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Grawulf

Wahooooo  8) !!! Took the 360 yesterday and traded for the 361 .......sorry,  you Husky guys.....I've owned Stihl since I was 21 and I'm not changing horses in mid-stream. The 361 is everything you guys said it was - except mine is very easy to start on the first tank of gas. It came with a skip tooth chain on it - haven't ever used one before, but I do like the way it screams through da logs. You guys didn't tell me that it came with air conditioning! There's a small plastic plug on the side that gets reversed in the winter to warm the carb. I think I'm going to like this saw as much as I liked the 360. Thanks for your input everybody!    Devan

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on August 19, 2008, 08:27:53 PM
I was funnin ya on the link wulf. Comparing a 361 to a 372 is not apples to apples.

I have never run an MS 361 but I understand pound for pound they are considered as good as the 372 for their class, which is about 10cc less. the 372 is heavier in the woods, and in the wallet too I think.

I'd like to have an MS361 actually to go between my Dolmar 5100S and the 372xp. :)

It fits right in there, but is closer to the 5100 than to the 372 for weight. You may not use the 5100 much, after getting the 361....... 8) 8) 8)
Information collector.

isawlogs

I have its ancester , the 036 in the Arctic version . When you flip the switch for the heated handles and not tell your BIL about it  ;D , He was always taking my saw not that he does not have one , but I guess using mine saved his chain  ::)  Anyways , one time I got sortof fed up and through the switch on and not say anything about it and let um go .  :D  Well it was in july and hot out , he kept telling me something was wrong with the saw and handing it to me , I would take it flip the switch to off , run it some and give it back to him with the switch on ....  Well long story short , he dont take my saw no more , he cant handle the heat from that saw .  :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I like it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawmilllawyer

Dat's a good one Marcel.
Grawuf hope you enjoy your 361 as much as I do mine. Sorry, forgot to tell you about the handle heater plug. And yes it is handy in the winter to keep your hands warm. I don't like cutting in the heat of the summer (still do sometimes) the heated handle in the winter is nice. Have'nt done it yet, but thinking about a muffler mod on the saw. Happy Harvesting, Andy.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

TexasTimbers

hey Marcel I won't ask to borrow your saw except in the winter. ;D

tyb525

I have an 036 also, I love it. If/when it's time for a new saw I will probably get another stihl, probably a 360 or bigger.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

TexasTimbers

Quote from: SawTroll on August 22, 2008, 09:24:58 AM
Quote from: TexasTimbers on August 19, 2008, 08:27:53 PM

It fits right in there, but is closer to the 5100 than to the 372 for weight. You may not use the 5100 much, after getting the 361....... 8) 8) 8)

I bet you're right. I sure do lust after one after as much hoopla as I have read on them. All I need to do is find a way to justify it with at least just a modicum of rationale  . . . .

Grawulf

I used it for about four hours yesterday logging out some good size ash - I was pleasantly amazed.......with the skip tooth, it draws itself through the log. Was cutting a 20" and the saw didn't even seem to be working hard.  8) and another  8) and another  8)

ely

i just got me a used 360 pro, not certain about the saw yet as i have to replace the fuel line before i can run it.
it looks to be fairly new but it does have a cracked tank on it, and the chain brake lever is broke on top.
seems the guy backed over it with a skidsteer.
oh well the saw was the right price, free99.

isawlogs

Ely , I am sure you can pick up a used tank for it on Ebay for the right price . There a good all around saw .   8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ely

update marcel, the 360 pro does have a cracked tank but the jb weld is holdin fine ;D i got the fuel line installed and i have the saw running fine now. only it has a 24 inch bar that is really way too long for that saw. i will get it down sized before i get too carried away.

Grawulf

Ely, in the four years that I had mine, it never failed to start. You'll like the saw, but you're right, 24" is too hard to keep up on the rpm's. Ain't JB Weld wonderful stuff........ Devan

isawlogs

Yes that stuff does work well . Too bad you are not any closer I would buy that blade and chain from you , I have a 046 that would turn that real easy now .  :D

Glad you got her running , that is one of my favorite saws . First pro saw I ever bought was a Husky 162 , that was the first pro saw that husky made , I wish I still had one around , it grew legs one time .  :-\  This saw (036/360) is very close to the 162/262 only 30 years younger  :D :D

Marcel

Grawulf

My first 041 slithered away too, Marcel  :-\  >:(

SawTroll

Quote from: Old_Hickory on August 19, 2008, 10:21:06 PM
hey did'nt they try to follow Husky  making it

It is the 60cc xp that Husky forgot to make....... :) :D :D
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!