iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle Saw ?

Started by Corley5, April 14, 2002, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I've been waiting to ask this until I was about ready to fire up again.  When sawing as the saw comes out the log I can see it spring back towards the husk.  It isn't very much, the saw is running cool, and the lumber is true, the teeth seem to be filed straight and there isn't any slop in the carriage wheels.  I tried to correct it with the inner saw guide but that didn't work.  I didn't notice it doing this with old saw.  Do I need to set the lead on the mill?  I read somwhere that after changing saws sometimes you have to reset lead.  What do you think?  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

Are you sawing the same species?  I find that different woods will saw a little different.  The denser hardwoods will tend to pull in, the others will push out.  It is real evident when you run a vertical edger.

If all things are the same, then you may want to take off a little lead.

Things that I have done is to make compensations in the filing.  One trick I use is to just take a file swipe on the side that the saw is leading, and on every tooth.  That will usually straighten it out if it isn't too severe.

Another factor may be in your feed rate.  Feeding too fast will cause your saw to go off line.  

To check how straight your teeth are filed, put a small mirror on a tooth.  It should reflect straight back the saw.  If not, it will show the saw in an angle.  Try it.  It's a pretty neat trick when you get the hang of it.

One saw doc up in NY thinks that you should take your saw off the mill every time you sharpen it.  Then you would sharpen it in a sharpening room, much the same way they do band saw blades.  It would give a much better quality job.

My only problem with that is that I have never had 2 saws that run exactly the same.  Something usually has to be readjusted.  I usually can get any saw to run true with a hand file, unless the saw has been wrecked.  That saw doc hates hand filers.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Shoot, I had a saw on for 2 years. it probably sawed 8 to 10 million feet. 1 frozen knot did it in. Broke a shoulder.

Corley5 have you fired up yet? I am thinking about goofing off this Saturday. I might possibly be able to come up.(and bring a swege and a file and a Jockey grinder too?) I know Bud_man will probably beat me up there if I don't come soon.

Let me know if you have plans, and then I will see what I can finaggle. I usually can get any saw running too. I better be careful what I say here, I may have to back it up, where ole Wenrich can just spout and not have to worry ;)

Hes to busy trying to fix the Forum Poll he broke anyhow ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

This weekend Dad and I are going to a farm equipment auction on Saturday and to Ohio to pick up an old tractor Sunday.  After this weekend I should be free to play ;D.  Bring your tools 8)  The saw seemed to misbehave worse in cherry than in anything.  I didn't notice it so much in popple.  The original owners of this mill who ran it in the late 40's to late 50's had a separate saw room.  Their father was the saw man.  When a saw got dull or to running bad they pulled it off, put another on and he went to work on the bad one.

Paul_H

Corley5,What type of sawmill do you have.It sounds interesting,Have any pictures?        Like to see some.
                                              8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Corley5

It's a 1948 Corley #5 circular mill.  I need to take pics of it to post and I've got some others of logging last winter to add also.  All in time :)

But here are some old ones that have been posted before.

Sawyerfortyish

Hey corley is that a left hand mill? Wheres all the loose bark and piled up sawdust lookes to clean. just kidding nice looking mill

Corley5

She's left handed.  These were taken a year ago after it had sat unused for about a year and half.  Grandpa always kept it swept clean and I use a leaf blower on it.  After a day of sawing it looks completely different 8).  Thanks for posting the pics.  Was that you Tom?  

Paul_H

Nice pictures of the Corley.I like vintage equipment.I have a 1928 Ford model A coupe that I restored a few years ago,It was enjoyable scrounging for parts,and it gave me an appreciation for the durability of older craftsmenship.

What type engine does the Corley have?It would be cool to see running on Jeff's Video-rama Show

8)

Corley5

I know exactly what you mean about the old stuff.  Dad and I collect old farm tractors, Farmalls mostly.  The engine is a G-403 Minneapolis Moline.  It's a 403 CID four cylinder gas.  In good shape it puts out around 80hp.  It's showing it's age now and needs "rings and things" as Grandpa used to say.  She'll still run 8 hours on ten gallons of gas and a gallon of 30w ;D.  Gets a little smoky sometimes for the guys tailing as the exhaust manifold has a crack :).  If anyone knows of a G Minnie Mo around I need an exhaust manifold.  One of these weekends when Jeff and I can get together we'll take some video of the old girl in action 8)

Jeff

Yup, My Sony will take the motion. This week I leave for Michigan Association of Timbermen Convention. Be gone thurs-Sun.  Timbermens have asked me to promote The Timberbuyers Network to the membership.

Hope it goes well, thats what pays for the forum :)

Still no takers on sending me video footage from anybody else. :(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

There's  guy in town here that totally restored a Farmall.Tis a thing of beauty,And the  guy I bought the Mobile Dimension off of, has a Cub that he uses to cut his lawn with.

Have you seen the book  "This Old Tractor"?.It has a lot of history,ads,stories and pictures,including Minnie Molines and Farmalls.
                  8)

Corley5

That's a book I haven't seen.  My inlaws got me "The American Tractor" for X-mas.  It's a good book too.  C.H. Wendel's books are also good especially if you like vintage photos.  A lot of these restored tractors are way prettier than the day they came off the assembly line. :)  I'm going to restore the old MM one of these days as a winter project.  An engine rebuild and new paint job and it'll be sharp 8).  I've got the louvered side panels for it in the barn.

Thank You Sponsors!