iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BSD444T / 268T engine parts info needed

Started by 30dodgeboy, March 25, 2024, 01:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30dodgeboy

Does anyone know these engines differences really well, or can point me in the direction of someone that does?

So a friend of mine bought a Valmet 544L, and I fixed the blown head gasket to get it running.  Previous owner said they replaced piston and connecting rod #2...  Within an hour of running it was making very angry sounds.  I pulled the engine out and apart and see they swapped a used rod into #2 cylinder (it was stamped "5" and this is a four cylinder engine...).  The rod bearings had spun on #2.  The rod in #2 is different than the other rods in the engine.  This engine needs a crank, bearings, and a rod at minimum.

Apparently Ford made many changes and variations of this engine, and I need help establishing what part numbers I need.

Does a service and / or parts manual exist for these engines?

moodnacreek

There are wide and narrow rods. Manuals are listed on e bay. Finding different rods in engines is quite common. I once had a 4 cyl. A-C engine with a 5 and a 6 in it but the best was a Willys with a Wippet babited rod in it.

30dodgeboy

The wrong #5 rod they installed has a smaller wrist pin and also doesn't have the pressurized oil to the wrist pin.  

I think 1.5 inch wrist pins are non-turbo engines??

Firewoodjoe

If it's the same weight a lot of parts can be swapped on low rpm engines like diesels. I'd be more concerned with clearance than the parts not looking the same. 

moodnacreek

I wonder if the drilled for oil rod has piston coolers [an oil jet at the top of the rod].

30dodgeboy

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on March 25, 2024, 07:17:38 PMIf it's the same weight a lot of parts can be swapped on low rpm engines like diesels. I'd be more concerned with clearance than the parts not looking the same.
so them mixing STD and 010 bearings on the same 010 journal is an issue?

LOL

Seriously, never saw that before!

Thank You Sponsors!