iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loggers, what are the traits you value in foresters?

Started by BrandonTN, November 15, 2008, 08:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Quote from: BrandonTN on November 19, 2008, 11:56:29 PM
I appreciate this board, and did not intend to create fighting.....or, atleast, if my thread did create some fighting, I had hoped it would not be too brutal and all would benefit once the dust settled.

Aw, we ain't fighting. Some of us oldtimers just do this for entertainment, or to take potshots at guys from Texas.    :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Texas Ranger

Yankee's are like hemroids, nah, wont go there. 

Texans return fire. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 20, 2008, 09:38:53 AM
Texans return fire. 8)

Yep. there sure is a strong wind that comes from Texas.  smiley_airfreshener
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: nas on November 18, 2008, 11:12:01 AMI don't consider them to be carpenters and I get kind of sensitive when people group me with them.

...just think how Jesus feels! lol

thompsontimber

Having experience on both sides of this issue, I have already posted in the forester's side of this question.  On the logging side, I believe most loggers want their forester to be knowledgable about logging...understand his logging costs and what he can and can't do...I can't recall all the times I have worked a logger that says to me something along the lines of "I can tell you have worked in the woods before because you didn't ask me to do the impossible."  They would give me examples of how a forester would require a tract to be harvested with poorly located deck areas with skid distances that weren't practical, etc etc.  More foresters need to understand what can and can't be done and when it is done, at what cost.  Therein lies the next issue, with a poor understanding of logging rates.  A procurement guy buys Tract A and Tract B with the same stumpage basis, then asks the logger to log them at the same logging rate, but Tract B costs twice as much to log as Tract A.  Next thing you know, a logger is forced to turn down the job and perhaps have no where else to go, or accept it at a rate he knows he cannot be profitable (you can imagine the horrors that might follow in that scenerio). Having worked the procurement end, I know that too many on that side view the logging force with disdain and look no farther than the bottom line.  They attempt to log cheap and cheaper, and hold loggers hostage with thin profit margins and indebtedness to the procurement company.  I had to answer to those types, and it really got to me as I come from a logging background.  The backbone of the industry is too often held under foot by the profiteers.  Loggers want most a forester that will give them a fair shake through fair rates and reasonable expectations.  Everything else then takes care of itself.

Thank You Sponsors!