iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

loggers insurance?

Started by 96 logger, November 19, 2013, 09:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

96 logger

hey guys, i'm still new to the forum here..looking to take off into being the owner of my own small logging business. I had a couple of questions. who do you guys go through for health, life and liability insurance to cover yourselves in the field? also, is a policy like this pretty expensive??  ???

Windy_Acres

While Im no longer insured as a small business, I can provide a little info I learned over 20 years, be sure to SHOP ! That and an independent agent can do allot more for you than one that only represents one company, which in this case and kind of insurance, your most likely to only come across independent agents, but still shop one agency against another.

An independent that is familiar with logging (that is to say they insure other loggers), would be a good place to start, they will know what underwriters to shop you past. If they have no experience in logging, Id find one that does. They should understand your exposure and what levels you need for the assets you have, etc. One agent should also be able to handle all your insurance needs (health, life, general liability, property coverage, workers comp where required).

96 logger

thank you for the advice windy acres! I guess I will have to slow down and take my time and find the right agent and policy that works for me!

Windy_Acres

Im really surprised you didnt get more responses on this one ? Not sure what kind of area you are in, but look for an independent agency that pretty much specializes in business insurance. Then ask if they have a market for "logging"

Some agents will sell you coverage, but place you with a carrier that "doesnt do" logging, so they step on the price, hard, to cover their butt (because they really dont know the risk). So its important to find the right agent, that knows what carriers buy logging risk. Otherwise, you can wind up with maybe not the best coverage and pay way too much for it.

Most agencies books of business are kind of a "niche". For instance, I used to have a trucking company, for years I was with an agency that really didnt have a market to place me in ( I did not know this, they didnt tell me, and I didnt know to ask).

I paid way too much, and had lousy coverage. Eventually, I found a guy that only insured taverns and trucking companies. First year, he saved me $32k from the previous year, getting me with the right carrier for my business. Another example, I know a guy who only does farm insurance, wont touch anything else. I know another guy who only does junk yards and scrap businesses, and so on.

Best to find someone familiar with your business.

NWP

Taverns and trucking companies....interesting combination.

96logger, where are you located?  The sponsor on the left, Forest Products Industry insurance, sounds like something you may be looking for but they only cover Michigan and Wisconsin.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Windy_Acres

Quote from: NWP on November 21, 2013, 12:17:37 AM
Taverns and trucking companies....interesting combination.

Yes, that is what I thought, otherwise, the two dont go together.

Over the years, I had drivers, turn up at taverns (that didnt serve any food), with one of my trucks. Which is really stupid to drive a billboard to a tavern. Anyhow, while on the clock no less, my trucks where NOT assigned to a driver, they where all slip seated, each truck was dispatched with a driver when a load was scheduled, and kept at the terminal if not out running a load. Anyhow, I had to cut a couple guys loose, for doing that. Not to bright on many levels !

96 logger

I understand what you are saying windy acres, you want a company that will work with you for your needs the best. I want to find a company that isn't too expensive and who knows the kind of work load so I can get good coverage. I am located in maine (a lot of loggers here) but they are mostly mechanical crews so they get a huge break on insurance because they are always in a cab of something!

LaneC

I am new here but would logging and sawing be the same. I would think not but that is why I am asking, because I am new to this also. Thanks for any input.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Thank You Sponsors!