iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logger's box

Started by timberfaller390, March 06, 2015, 11:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Is anyone running a logger's box type bed on there pickup? I just saw a couple pictures of one and I love the way they look. I guess they are a west coast thing cause I've never seen one around here.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

treeslayer2003

not sure what that is? pics? i have utility body.

timberfaller390

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Autocar

They remind me of a jeep pickup bed, they look ok but I like to keep everything dry and out of sight of prying eyes.
Bill

IndianaJoe

I guess that I don't understand what advantage this "Logger's box" offers, except it looks heavier than a standard bed.  Thus not as much damage from falling trees.

IndianaJoe

I guess that I don't understand what advantage this "Logger's box" offers, except it looks heavier than a standard bed.  Thus not as much damage from falling trees.

Gary_C

You guys drop trees on your truck boxes? Wow, that must be a real hoot.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

g_man

A One Ton P/U is a much more useful version of the logger box. To me looks better too.

gg

timberfaller390

Quote from: IndianaJoe on March 07, 2015, 08:50:59 AM
They are supposed to be built much heavier than a standard pickup bed. I think the sides are 1/8" and the floor is 3/16 or 1/4.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Straightgrain

Quote from: g_man on March 07, 2015, 09:35:48 AM
A One Ton P/U is a much more useful version of the logger box. To me looks better too.

gg

@ $220 for 12 yards of gravel (2" minus basalt) being delivered; a one-ton dump truck makes even more sense. Definitely in my future.

Those beds can be seen at the home center rental departments; pretty-darn sturdy.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

thenorthman

Its my understanding that those "logger" boxs are just really ugly dump beds.

Most folks out here just run a regular truck with a massive tool box, transfer tank, and a club cab... Yer classic crummy if you will.

Some of them run a service body, but they are either the mechanic, or a small to medium outfit one with lots of iron, and not to many men.

Personally I'd probably just get a service body if I had the money to blow on something like this, sure beats dragging my saws to the shed every night...

Also a 1 ton dump truck can realisticly only haul about 1-2 yards of crushed rock,  My F-600 can legally haul 8 tons, but in reality 6 is about it, thats equal to around 5 yards.

The trucks I do see around here with that type of box are generally the uh... landscape, and yard maintenance folks.
well that didn't work

timberfaller390

I don't think any of the trucks in the link I posted were dump beds
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

thenorthman

Well, their supposed to be otherwise its just a really heavy standard box.
well that didn't work

sawguy21

The mines use them, they are very hard on equipment. The original box is put back on when the truck is traded in (if there is enough left to trade in).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I don't think I have ever seen one before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

log cutter

The only place I've seen where that style was use was in British Columbia.  Most of them were not dump boxes. I can remember going past the old Pope and Talbot mill at Midway B.C  and on one of the shed roofs there would be several brand new boxes and the new trucks would have a loggers box put on . 
Timbco 475E

treeslayer2003

Quote from: thenorthman on March 07, 2015, 11:26:20 AM
Its my understanding that those "logger" boxs are just really ugly dump beds.

Most folks out here just run a regular truck with a massive tool box, transfer tank, and a club cab... Yer classic crummy if you will.

Some of them run a service body, but they are either the mechanic, or a small to medium outfit one with lots of iron, and not to many men.

Personally I'd probably just get a service body if I had the money to blow on something like this, sure beats dragging my saws to the shed every night...

Also a 1 ton dump truck can realisticly only haul about 1-2 yards of crushed rock,  My F-600 can legally haul 8 tons, but in reality 6 is about it, thats equal to around 5 yards.

The trucks I do see around here with that type of box are generally the uh... landscape, and yard maintenance folks.
i will never go back to a tin body......how ever them full wrap saws with long bars don't fit in them side boxes  8)

Thank You Sponsors!