iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my LT-15 wide.

Started by shelby78, May 12, 2018, 08:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby78

Over a week ago I drove to Wood-mizer to pick up my lt-15 wide. Since then we had a bit of a windstorm and I own a tree service so no time to play until now.

I finished cutting about 1.30 today so I figured I'd load up a decent size oak to test the wide out. This is typical of what I get paid to remove on a daily basis.

I bought a box of Wood-mizer 9 degree bands when I bought the mill as that's all they had so that's what I used. I may try 7's and 4's from all the things I've heard about them here.

My last mill was a Norwood lumbermate 2000 with a 13hp Honda and all I can say is the 25 hp Kohler is NICE. 28 inch live edge oak slabs cut quick with that Kohler.

Here's a few pics of some slabs today. Also a pic of my fully hydraulic log turner for my lt-15 lol..

SawyerTed

Congratulations on the new mill!  Those are some pretty slabs!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crossroads

Your gonna make some money with that lt15 wide ;)
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

47sawdust

What brand is the log turner?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

shelby78

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 14, 2018, 07:09:58 AM
What brand is the log turner?
Case 685. If it ever fails I'll just use my Ferrari to load logs. In case your wondering, the crane on my dumptruck is a Ferrari.
I figured I would try some wider white oak for a rundown of the mill before I put some Black walnut on it. I love when I get black walnut as i always do good on it.

woodmills1

nice choice.  If I was to start over it would be all about the wide and thick
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brad_bb

You didn't get a cant hook?  You do need one even though you have a Case.  You need one to adjust, to roll smaller ones etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

slider

If you are shopping for cant hooks look no further than Logright . They are the best.
al glenn

shelby78

I do own a logrite cant hook and use it a lot. It is just no fun on a 9ft6 30 inch oak log. That, and once you have a finished surface you can maul it up pretty good with a cant hook depending on positioning.

I have already had 3 people wanting to come buy some slabs and always sell green and fast. Its a good market up here for wide live edge. I do have a dual 660 stihl alsakan set-up that I can mill up to 60 inch but wanted a bandsaw for the smaller stuff.

For me the lt-15 wide gives the widest cut for the money. I was considering a Norwood hd 36 but they wont cut near as wide and that was a dealbreaker. I find a lot of the nice stuff I get is in the 30-36 inch range.

I only do wide live edge to sell.

78NHTFY

Shelby78: nice set up!  Have the Case 695. These Cases are beasts!  Use mine mostly to haul my forwarding trailer. All the best, Rob

If you have time, you win....

Peter Drouin

How high can you pile slabs with that forwarding trailer?? ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

78NHTFY

Peter--that's an older pic.  Pile is a lot higher and wider than that now :D :D :D.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Darrel

Congratulations on the new mill. The LT15 Wide is a nice little mill that can do big things. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!