iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Update on my first chainsaws story (good news)

Started by Isaacg, June 08, 2019, 10:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaacg

(heres the original post: Amature looking for advice (story included) in Forest Education )

Heres an update on my story i posted a while ago:

Id just like to thank everyone who encouraged me to work on my first two old saws that i picked up for dirt cheap and just wanted to let you know i completely fixed them up like new with only spending $12.

I went from knowing nothing about chainsaws to being able to tear one completely apart and find problems and fixing it all rebuilding carburetors, sharpening chains, mixing gas, tuning ect. I checked both saws for compression and spark which both had, then i went online and found a carb kit and was able to get it for $6 thanks to a ebay coupon code and was able to replace all fuel lines, filters, spark plug, primer bulb ect on the 1st saw that is slightly newer which also had a barely used bar and sorta used chain. The 1st saw started up no problem and was able to run in just 2-3 pulls cold and 1 pull every time warm, this saw did not require any carb tuning and i did not have to replace the carb. My 2ed saw the slightly older one required more work, i bought a fuel kit for $5.80 and replaced all the fuel lines, filters, spark plug ect then i went to start it up and it would not start i replaced the carb with the new one and it started up quick but the chain would run super fast when idle which i tried to adjust but quickly found out its because the carb was for newer models and i wasnt able to use it in mine so i took it apart and rebuild the old carb with the new one. After i installed the rebuilt old carb the saw started up perfectly with no problems and with just some slight tuning the saw was running perfectly just like the first, i also noticed the old saw which had a old beat up bar but brand new chain had the wrong type of chain on it. The brand new chain was a stihl chain which had slightly different gauge and links then the one i needed which luckily my friend has a saw that uses that chain which i sold to him and was able to buy a new bar and chain for that saw. I went out and ran the saws half a day for 3 days cutting 6-12 inch thick trees no problem each saw starting with 1 pull warm and few pulls cold not a single issue with either saw, i cut a ton of wood and split it all with a really nice splitting maul i restored that i got for $1 at a yard sale. Im really happy and proud of my self that i was able to do all this and learn everything that i did this is turning into a pretty big hobby for me now, im keeping an eye out for some high end brand saws or some more fixer uppers still debating on a stihl or husqvarna saw ill probably get both eventually in the future.

Well thanks for reading ill update again in the future.

lxskllr

Congratulations! It's nice getting a valuable tool as a product of your labor  :^)

You mentioned money problems. Huskys and Stihls are nice, but not worth going into debt over. There's a certain satisfaction in being a junkyard king, and making what you have work. There's also environmental benefits of not being a consumer, and theft reduction not having a saw in 'steal me' orange. Maybe keep your eyes open for a basket case, and build your Stihl and/or Husky from nothing.

barbender

Cool! You saved a ton of money, learned a bunch and increased your skills, all while gaining a ton of satisfaction. It sounds like a win all the way around👍
Too many irons in the fire

Hooterspfld

You got two running saws, use them! No need to replace them yet. Make a little money hauling off storm damage or cutting firewood. All the while, check facebook marketplace and craigslist daily for chainsaws. I've litterally missed out on a stihl MS170 with a garden tiller for $60 and a Husky 50cc saw for $35 in the last month. If you are always looking a deal will fall into your lap, just be patient! 

Ianab

Good to read the update. 

Hopefully you have next winters home heating taken care of now, and that's worth a lot of $$ right there. Sell some firewood, pick up some more yard sale deals and fix them up, and you have a hobby that pays it's way. Not every saw will be economic to fix, although you know what to look for now.  A cheap saw that's been straight gassed is probably junk, but even then it's likely got a good carb, bar & chain, ignition module etc. Stuff you might need to fix up another saw. 

As you have found out, those homeowner saws usually die of neglect and age, gummed up carbs and rotted fuel lines etc. Repairable with a few $$ in parts, and some time. Cost wise it's not worth paying a shop to fix them, but if you would otherwise just be watching TV on a Sat afternoon, you could just as easy spend that time tinkering with a saw. They seldom get used enough to actually "wear out". Used as a part time firewood saw, they can run fine for years before any serious wear kicks in. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

olcowhand

Isaacg,
You sir, are a picture of perseverance......
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

yes, if you become a collector of similar saws, you will have your own parts inventory as well can even sell a few fixed up saws.  You spent your time and now have useful saws for little money that you know how to fix, and knowledge to use the rest of you life.  My uncle Bill was like that, and he would not always charge anything to fix a friends small engine, but was repaid with dividends over his lifetime.  he might work on something for 2 days and only charge 20 dollars.  He enjoyed being the guy who could fix anything.  WWII vet, motor-pool army, sergeant major.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Good job sticking with it and fixing those saws!

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!