iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ok since yall didnt think my post was funny...

Started by babylogger, October 24, 2004, 10:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.  :)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Corley5

When I split with a maul I always take a slab off of at least one side before going after the center.  Makes a block split a whole bunch easier
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Weekend_Sawyer

When I was in my teens Dad showed me how to split wood with an ax. We didn't have mauls, If you couldn't use the ax you had to use a sledge and wedge.

Just before the ax hits the wood you twist your wrist's slightly so the bit is not going straight in. Works pretty good and if not you were back to the sledge and wedge.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

dave7191

You can cut a and split a cord a day without much trouble Back when i was young and foolish i could cut and split and deliver two cord a day  That was a few days ago  I have to agree that you can split faster with with a mall or axe than a wood splitter can do it but if you canhave the best of both  it makes it much easiler the last ten years we cut fire wood to sell I would split the straight stuff by hand and put the other of to the side and use the splitter  But a lot of splitting is reading the wood  I haven't used a axe in years but was taught to split with a axe as a boy if you aren't any hurry just leave the bad splitting pieces of to the side till you get a morning that  down around 10* or cooler and that wood wood will split much easier Dave  ;D

SwampDonkey

Took me about 7 - 6 hour days to cut, and pile my furnace wood this year. Had 14.4 cords stacked. Was cutting the wood from treelength and piling it within 50 feet of where it was cut. The butt ends where closest to the pile. I only had to split about 30 pieces this year, got a handful to split next season. I put down about 10 cords for winter. A young feller helped on days I wasn't around, 3 days of volunteer work. I piled his cutting. He had a tough time figuring what 18 inches was, had some 25 and some 15. More handling, but all comes back outta the furnace as ashes. Oh well. The closer the wood lies to the furnace door the more heat is recovered from the wood. I didn't complain, just glad to get it done. Took me 3 days to fill the cellar by myself, 11 trailor loads. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We used to use an axe years ago and father only cut the trash wood for stovewood. It was tabo to cut nice wood for the furnace or kitchen, cause them flames make straight ashes no matter how crooked it was going in. ;D I use a hydrolic wood spliter these years, cause I'm not runnin a marathon. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!