iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any experience with 8/4 hard maple w/ face checks in kiln?

Started by Kelvin, January 19, 2007, 07:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy,
I just pulled my 8/4 maple out of the nyle 200, thinking i used a pretty moderate schedule seeing as the maple was about 14% going in.  Its faced checked pretty bad on 50% of the boards, not just b/c of a pith, which i saw out.  What do you think?  I was wondering if this might have been a standing dead tree that i cut awhile ago.  Maybe the checks ocurred while in log form and i didn't notice?  I've heard most of the checking ocurrs while at higher MC and only becomes apparent when really dry.  Maybe it dried too fast after i sawed it?  Heck i don't even get this in my white oak and that is suppose to be hard.  No end checks thanks to achor seal.  Have others had trouble with this wood drying well?  Experience?
Thanks
kelvin

Den Socling

Kelvin,

You couldn't cause surface checks if the wood was 14% going into the kiln. Either the MC was higher in the core or you had checks going in. Checks are not always apparent. Sometimes they are small and you don't notice but, if they have started, they can open up while drying.

Den

SwampDonkey

I'm no expert, by a long shot of the kiln process, but I'de be very surprised if the maple didn't already have some hairline checks in it if it was dry stubs when you cut them. Heck, my firewood will check almost in two when left drying in the hot summer sun, then in the cellar with the furnace on.....  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!