iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opening Season 2013…..Coyote!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 02, 2013, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Season opened yesterday. Our trapper set a trap yesterday and caught a nice'n.

He's only setting 3 traps right now since we are in full blown Rabbit hunting. Didn't want to catch a bunch of Beagles.  :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

m wood

he kinda looks content in there.  I'm a bit surprised.  I followed a blood trail the other night till 9pm, ran thru 3 flashlights and was across 2 neighbors properties...where I dont know any of the landmarks.  The ky-otes were a barking, chirping and howling the whole time I was crawling thru the brush.  ooky spooky in the pitch black :D
TRAP AWAY!!!!!!
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

beenthere

m wood
You peaked my interest, so what did you find at the end of the blood trail?

Son and I were on a blood trail 4 wks ago, and decided at 9:30 pm to quit and resume looking in the am.

About 9:30 am kicked out a coyote and then found the deer hide, head, lower legs and just a few short ribs left standing.
Trap away!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Yes, coyotes are a real problem here, especially for the bow hunter. If you have to leave a blood trail overnight, the coyotes are sure to have your deer before you find it in the morning.
~Ron

clww

Nice job catching Mr. Wil E. Coyote. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

samandothers

CLWW
Happy Birthday

Mr Will E got the short end yet again!

m wood

BT i got almost the exact same story.  Went back after her Sunday morn and found the remains.  Always a low point for the season if that happens to me.  Hate to leave...can't keep going...decisions, decisions

I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

hardtailjohn

They're "fair game" all year round here. There used to be more of them, but the wolves have cleaned a lot out already. We still get a few every year, slinking around the calves when  they're new.  Good job!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hardtailjohn on December 02, 2013, 10:43:45 PM
They're "fair game" all year round here. There used to be more of them, but the wolves have cleaned a lot out already. We still get a few every year, slinking around the calves when  they're new.  Good job!

Fair game year round here for shooting.......we have a season on trapping.

terry f

Am I the only one who is wondering why that thing is still alive.

m wood

yeah, what do you do with a live, trapped coyote?
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Seaman

I need to come down to see that trap! I need a half dozen.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Chuck White

Nothing much more devious than a coyote!

If I was trapping yotes, they wouldn't be released from the trap until they've met their maker!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NWP

Poston is going to put it on a leash and keep it as a guard dog.  :D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

chevytaHOE5674

I got one the other day when I was out checking the cows still a few more around that need to disappear though.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: NWP on December 03, 2013, 07:35:36 AM
Poston is going to put it on a leash and keep it as a guard dog.  :D

:D :D :D :D :D

The trapper takes the live Yotes and takes them South. Somewhere they have a 100 plus acre, fenced in place to train dogs to hunt them.

m wood

ok then! thats an acceptable answer ;D.  glad to hear there are still places that dogs are allowed to hunt nusiance predators.
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

gspren

What type of trap was it caught in, box, snare, leg hold?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

Just take um to the pond and see if they can swim.  Works with armadillos and skunks, so I doubt that coyotes can swim either.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Allot of folks are against trapping, and hunting, its hard for me to figure their way of figuring, my barber posted this one this morning after, I guess getting an ear full from someone, off his trail cam,

I say trap away,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VT_Forestry

I've seen that series of photos before, friends of mine with USDA Wildlife Services were passing them around several years ago.  There is a website that has the entire event, several hundred pictures worth, of a couple coyotes taking down what appears to be a healthy 10-pointer.  There was some speculation that the deer was already wounded by a vehicle or maybe hemmoragic disease, but either way like Jeff said, it's tough to watch.  Alot of non-outdoorsy folks see pictures of coyotes and the resemblence to dogs and begin to think of them as cuddly pups instead of the crafty, instinctual predators that they really are.  Everytime I see that picture in an email or a thread like this one, it only solidifies the fact that I will feed any and all coyotes a healthy lead sandwich at every opportunity  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Bandmill Bandit

Coyotes are the most ruthless of killers! And we will NEVER run out of them.

While they are an important part of the Eco system of the plains but we still need Trap, hunt, snare, and  use what ever other means you can think of to keep them under control. I understand that Alberta has reintroduced bounty for coyotes this year. I haven't checked my self yet but will be after christmas. May do some trapping my self.     
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

drobertson

Quote from: VT_Forestry on December 06, 2013, 12:58:09 PM
I've seen that series of photos before, friends of mine with USDA Wildlife Services were passing them around several years ago.  There is a website that has the entire event, several hundred pictures worth, of a couple coyotes taking down what appears to be a healthy 10-pointer.  There was some speculation that the deer was already wounded by a vehicle or maybe hemmoragic disease, but either way like Jeff said, it's tough to watch.  Alot of non-outdoorsy folks see pictures of coyotes and the resemblence to dogs and begin to think of them as cuddly pups instead of the crafty, instinctual predators that they really are.  Everytime I see that picture in an email or a thread like this one, it only solidifies the fact that I will feed any and all coyotes a healthy lead sandwich at every opportunity  :D
I haven't spoke with Josh, I just assumed it was from his camera,  I did wonder, either way, sorry for the graphic nature,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!