iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Quality

Started by Ron Scott, February 04, 2001, 07:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

The Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) plans to issue a permit to Cadillac Renewable Energy (CRE) to burn scrap tires without requiring the use of scrubbers. The DEQ has set the following schedule for public input on this permit.

January 21, 2001-February 21, 2001written public comments on the permit to DEQ & US EPA.

February 5, 2001 6:00 PM DEQ Public Information session at the Cadillac Junior High School Cafeteria.

February 21, 2001 7:00 PM DEQ Public Hearing on CRE permit to burn tires, Cadillac Junior High cafeteria.

The February 21 Public Hearing had 600+ in attendance with many leaving due to no parking space. Hearing went until after 1:00 am in morning. DEQ has extended public comment period for another 30 days. EPA has pointed out some MDEQ errors in the permitting process. Much in the news about the tire burning issue.
~Ron

Jeff

Why and how in the world would they do that? Every time there is an accidental tire fire somewhere, all you here is how bad it is for the air, and they spend thousands or hundreds of thousands to try to put them out.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

I don't know, very controversial issue here. Local and surrounding area people and local governments are srongly against it as is local MDNR fisheries. But DEQ intends to issue the permit without scrubbers. The scheduled meetings should be interesting. Watch the newspapers. Grand Rapids Press had good article on its front page yesterday.
Cadillac Area Citizens for Clean Air and Northern Michigan Environmental Action Council are leading the campaign against it.
~Ron

Jeff

I would think it would be controversial everywhere down wind. Maybe even here.

Forester Frank

Interesting, as M-DEQ and EPA has defined strict standards for air quality. I am proud to say that Georgia-Pacific in Gaylord, MI exceeded the standards set and spent over $13Million on air quality equipment (wet ESP, RTO, etc.).

What irks me is the high quality wood that gets burned by the co-gens. There is tons of wastewood everywhere, but whole-trees are being chipped and burned for energy. Chipping tops for energy use is one thing , chipping whole trees is another.

Keep us posted Ron.
Forester Frank

Jeff

Today the D.E.Q. rejected Cadillac Renewable Energy's request to burn tires at their plant because they lack scrubbers. The D.E.Q. says that the standards cannot be met that C.R.E. claims they can achieve.

Ron Scott

A very quick decision once the concerned publics spoke up and politicians took them as being serious.  
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Near Belldune in northern New Brunswick they have been fighting against plans to import solid waste for disposal by burning. Hmmm, what do they do with the bi-product? burry it? The quality of water and air up there over the years has been so jeopardized with the electric generating station, fertilzer plant and smelters that they have had enough. Here are some sites about the issue.

Bennet incinerator protested Some info on health effects and known controversy.

The company responsible

Neil and Gunter Engineering and the electric generation plant

The Battle of Belledune

Recent articles in the news
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!