iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by Brianwsinclair, March 11, 2014, 04:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brianwsinclair

Hi, I am a new member here. I joined because I volunteer at a historic water powered sawmill in my area. I started last summer and hope to begin my sawyer training this spring. So basically what I'm doing is surfing the various boards and gleaning information as I can.
Thanks
Hoping and dreaming!

Magicman

Hello Brian and Welcome to the Forestry forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

Andy White

Brianwsinclar,
Welcome to the Forum, the learningest place on the web. That mill sounds awesome. I have seen a video on U-tube about a water powered mill, that was a vertical blade like a crosscut saw. It operated in an up and down motion with a type of walking beam. Very interesting! Send lots of pictures, and be safe.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

m wood

welcome brian.  Volunteering for those shows must be fun.  Any plans for making sawdust on your own?
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Brian!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

Welcome Brian lots of pictures is a good thing 8) 8) and saw dust too
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Maybe you can provide us will some photos or video of the mill. bg

dgdrls

Welcome to the board Brian,

Best place on the web!!

DGDrls

bandmiller2

Welcome Brian, learning to be a sawyer is kinda like learning to ride a bicycle, you just have to do it. Read and study the proper terminology for the parts of a mill, that will be a big aid if you have questions to ask. In the northeast US and eastern Canada their were a lot of waterpower mills because we have the rivers and elevation and the logs were floated down the river anyways. Flatter parts of the country had to wait for steam power. I have run mills with electric, diesel, gas, and steam but never water. When you get into it Brian I'd like to know how the saw speed is governed with waterpower. I have read about mills where the sawyer controlled the water flow with his feet to maintain the saw speed in a cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Brian. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

petty cash

JohnM

Welcome to the forum, Brian.  We have one of those mills in the next town over.  I've only seen it run once and that's before I was into this milling stuff.  It's really pretty awesome.  Plan on going back this summer when they have the saw going.  Here's their site, maybe it has some info that'll help you. http://www.leonardsmills.com/  Good luck!

Edit:  Just looked at the site more thoroughly, not very 'robust', may not be that much help. :-[  :D  Well it's still a neat place. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

francismilker

Welcome aboard Brian.  Enjoy the good advice and great stories.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

SawyerBrown

Welcome Brian.  I hope you learn to love it!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Brianwsinclair

Thanks for all your welcomes and comments. Here is the link for the mill.  www.hopemill.ca. 
Hoping and dreaming!

21incher

Welcome to the forum Brian. Can't wait to see some pics of you sawing.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hardtailjohn

Welcome Brian! Wow, that's one cool mill!! 
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

SawyerBrown

I think that may be the biggest bevel gear set I've ever seen!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

:o I would love to see that sawmill in operation.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

morgoon

Yeah me too,,,

We have family down that way and the next time we are road tripping we will have to stop in!

Welcome
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

MAI

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Brian.

pep

Welcome to the Forum Brian.

If your ever up this way stop in and see a Lucas in action.

Cheers

Pep

Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Brianwsinclair

Quote from: Andy White on March 11, 2014, 06:29:29 PM
Brianwsinclar,
Welcome to the Forum, the learningest place on the web. That mill sounds awesome. I have seen a video on U-tube about a water powered mill, that was a vertical blade like a crosscut saw. It operated in an up and down motion with a type of walking beam. Very interesting! Send lots of pictures, and be safe.    Andy

Andy,
I saw a saw mill like you described in New Brunswick, Canada. Any sawyer in the Maritime/New England area should check out Kings Landing just outside of Fredrickton, NB.
Brian
Hoping and dreaming!

Brianwsinclair

Quote from: m wood on March 11, 2014, 06:50:48 PM
welcome brian.  Volunteering for those shows must be fun.  Any plans for making sawdust on your own?

I do some re sawing right now on my bandsaw but would love to get a little hobbie mill for myself. After saying that I can get logs milled where I volunteer for half price.
Hoping and dreaming!

Thank You Sponsors!