iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Maple Logs?

Started by qbilder, January 06, 2014, 02:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbilder

Who sells them & how does a small mill go about buying them? I would most prefer wood from northern WI, UP MI, etc. Until now I have always cut my own trees, but am considering a new endeavor that would require a higher volume of logs than I can get alone. The catch is that I'd have to pick the logs. Do loggers sell to small mills?         
God bless our troops

beenthere

Now might be a good time to visit the UP of MI and northern WI and get into some conversations going with some loggers (may be at the local coffee stop), and could also make contact with some Forestry Consultants working those areas. They either/or might know of maple stands being cut or soon to be cut and can work out details about selling logs to you.
I'd suspect you'd want to find and pick your load of logs from a landing where they are spread out (much like a veneer log buyer would do).
Or get put in touch with a log grader/scaler that would know your specs and pick logs for you.

The weather isn't all that great at this time, but might have better chances finding someone "at home" rather than being busy in the woods.

PM member Ron Scott, as he likely knows more than just about anyone how to go about this.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rimshot

Quote from: qbilder on January 06, 2014, 02:00:36 PM
Who sells them & how does a small mill go about buying them? I would most prefer wood from northern WI, UP MI, etc. Until now I have always cut my own trees, but am considering a new endeavor that would require a higher volume of logs than I can get alone. The catch is that I'd have to pick the logs. Do loggers sell to small mills?       
=====================

I'm in the U.P.  Matter of fact I cut some  nice Hard Maple into 1 " boards this last year.   I chose to cut mostly Eastern White Cedar and cut tons of it.  I sold about 300 board feet but it doesn't move these days.  I should have cut a hardwood like  ash or maybe Maple.  At least the handy men would buy it.  IU do have some Hard Maple, ash and birch in 1" plus some 2 1/2" mantle and table top slabs out there.

Be glad to hook you up with some jobbers.  I think there might be a run on hardwood this year.  Not from handy men building furniture but from wood  stove heat mongers. .  Never give a wood chucker an even break.  He just might sneak up on you and buy up the maple right under your nose.  (big grin)

Hit me with a pm if you might be interested.  Yikes!  Trucking wil be through the roof.rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

qbilder

Thanks, fellows! Much appreciated. Rimshot, I will PM you & we can figure something out. No trucking required. I'll drag my trailer up there & pick a load of logs if they're there. What I need isn't really veneer quality, but gotta be able to get 3' sections that are straight with no knots or twisty grain. Even with veneer quality logs, I buck them into the best 36" sections before milling. 
God bless our troops

thecfarm

3 foot logs? What's the lumber being used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jueston

Quote from: thecfarm on January 07, 2014, 01:01:50 PM
3 foot logs? What's the lumber being used for?

yes, inquiring minds want to know what a 3 foot long 3 inch thick piece of maple is used for!  :)

beenthere

As his name indicates, he is a pool Que builder. ;)

From his previous posts, sounds like some hi-quality ques too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Even though this is not in the "For Sale" board, I would think that a 5% commission to the Forestry Forum would be in order for any transactions.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rimshot

Majic,

Remember what Boss Hogg used to say to his buddy the Sheriff on the Dukes of Hazzard. :You get 50% of 50% of 50% OF 50% OF 50%. ETC.

RIMSHOT
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

qbilder

:D Yes, I use the maple for billiard cues. That's why it has to be so straight grained and clean.  Here's a pic of one of my cues. Made this one several years ago from Indian rosewood, koa, and maple. The shafts are what I need the really clean, straight logs for. I'm in the process of cutting some stock into shaft squares today, and will try to get a pic if I can. All I have to end up with is 1"x1"x30" turning squares where the grain runs straight from end to end with no knots. Seems simple enough but you'd be surprised how much waste is created.   

God bless our troops

woodworker9

From a guy who put himself through college shootin' stick, nice looking cues!

WW9
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

qbilder

:) Thank you for the comments
God bless our troops

MSSawmill

Wow! That's a gorgeous cue... Especially when you consider it's a one-of-a-kind, built by hand model! Really makes me want to build the house so I can get my table out of storage.
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

GAB

qbilder:
Thanks for the educational/informative posts.
I have between 5 and 7K bdft of maple all sawed and air drying in the yard and if any of it would meet your requirements it would be by accident.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!