iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horse Logging

Started by 123maxbars, December 11, 2021, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I rarely post in this section on the forum but I had the chance this week to buy some White Oak logs from a local horse logger. He also let me spend the day filming him and his sons toil. Thought you all would enjoy.
Amazing Horse Power, Draft Horses Logging In The Virginia Mountains - YouTube
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

mike_belben

that was impressive what they could pull.  i like the dozer fuel tank on the old truck.  does that thing still drive job to job? 
Praise The Lord

WDH

Just awesome.  Loved the music in the first few minutes.  Made me want to get my bass out. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Riwaka

Looks like the loader truck could do with a bit of an inframe, or is it an oil overfill?  Though I have seen DPF regen failures produce larger billowing white clouds than that.

Firewoodjoe

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. 

123maxbars

I don't know much about that truck but he is able to move it from job to job. It is a 61 model that looks rough but keeps the log trucks loaded it seems.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

moodnacreek

Always enjoy work horses. It is almost a treat for me to see someone who can 'run' a chainsaw, that is fell, limb and buck sawlogs. Most logs I see are butchered up and I gave up trying to show others how to do better.  Is that B model the epa version?

SwampDonkey

Great video of the horses working, nice weather to. :) I like the buggy with the seat. Never seen that setup before, but great idea, hang on. ;)

I've been around work horses for the first 30 years of my life and have seen some well trained horses over the years. :)

As far as loader equipment, I bet it's paid for and it works, probably no complaints. ;D
Dad ran some old tater trucks at the 'farm only' here that were over 40 years old, but not highway worthy. But got the seed to the fields and the taters to the barn on rural roads that themselves (roads) were barely road worthy. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

47sawdust

All around great video. Nice team of Suffolks,well trained with a skilled teamster.
The logging forecart is a well made design.
We could all use a log loader like that.
Thanks for posting, beautiful country.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Woodfarmer

It's a dying art around here, I don't think there are any left that do it.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Them critters back up good. Quiet way to get the wood out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Old Greenhorn

You know one of the things I noticed in this enjoyable video was that the choker man was pretty nimble on his feet and quick to find a tree to protect him. I recall seeing that and thinking "Yeah, clearly not his first rodeo, he knows what those horses can do."  :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

47sawdust

Being nimble is very key when working with horses.That is why using the cart to skid with is so much safer than ground driving.
That family works well together.
Mick

Jeff

DanG Nathon! I've watched a lot of your videos and this one is one of the most beautiful videos I've seen. Of all channels I watch in a very long time. Wonderful job. 2 views are already mine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Things can happen no matter what.
I was the chocker man when my Father was driving the tractor. I was nimble too.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

@thecfarm those old timers liked to drive'r to didn't they. Like the day after Christmas you was cut'n wood or stacking taters. Not watching cartoons or video games. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

samandothers

Great video!  Looks like it could have been a tad windy.   Thanks for taking the time to make and share this.

Andries

Nathan, thank you. Great video. 
It put my wife to sleep but I've watched it more than a few times. 😏
No idle chatter, great editing, the music had Danny tapping his toes and a big well done!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Rick Alger

Thanks. That was an excellent video.

AndyVT

After we cut the logs for our future home, we hired a local horse logger to skid them to our house site. 
He used a lone gelding  to move single logs to a central area and then hooked his  cart and  team of 2 stallions to skid the logs the 1/4 mile to the site.
It was a mild late winter and the snow was soft so it was a work out for the team but they pulled their hearts out to get  the fifty 20-28 ft long, 12-16 inch pine logs moved.
He worked over the course of 2 days so as not to overwork his team.

Kodiakmac

Thanks muchly for posting this ... put a  bit of a lump in my throat.  My Dad and my uncle logged with horses (Clydes) back in the fifties and sixties when we were kids.  We would be with them on Saturdays and over the Christmas Holidays.  I remember when our hands got cold in our wet mitts we would walk up beside the team and shove our cold fingers up in the horses' armpits (leg pits?).  They were truly gentle giants.

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Rhodemont

I use one of our Cheval Canadians for some logging a few times in the snow each winter.  I do not have him pull big saw logs.  Firewood 10 or 12 inch tops are pretty easy for him to move.  I put hay down where I want the logs.  When we get out on the main trails I let him go and tell him to go home.  He
heads for the hay and eats while I unhitch.

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!