iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i know echo makes a nice two stroke motor...

Started by woodsie, April 30, 2004, 06:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsie

8)
but do they make a good chainsaw ?  i am looking into getting a saw w/ a 36" bar.  i have got some big stuff on the agenda.  of course you got the 394xp husky, but your talking like a $1000 easy and that just for the power head.  i don't want to break even on this job i want to pocket some cash!  so if anyone has an echo saw with a 36" bar and you either love or hate it drop me line.
                                                 woodsie.
it's good to run once in a while, you never know when you'll need to for real...

Rocky_J

Echo makes rock solid smaller stuff, but they are not the leaders in power output. Their larger saws are substantially lacking when compared to Husky or Stihl saws of the same size.
CCD lists the 395XP for $885 with a 36" bar. Echo doesn't make anything that big. I think the biggest Echo is 80cc but I'm not even sure it's available in the US

travelr64

Hey Woodsie

I have a CS346 Echo.  Great saw.  Couldn't ask for a better piece of equipment.  But . . . . I too am in need of a bigger saw, and after doing all the research, I figured it'd hafta be a Husky, Jonsered, of Stihl.  I took about 3 weeks to find a saw on ebay that I thought would be a good deal.  Just bought a modded 385XP for $450 + shipping.  There are a couple 394s on ebay I'd buy too if I thought I wanted one that big.  All ya gotta do is check the sellers feedback to determine whether or not they're trustworthy.  I was gonna buy a new saw from a dealer too, but think I got a much better deal.

Good Luck
Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

oldsaw-addict

The largest saw from Echo is an 80.1cc I think, its probably only close to a Stihl 044 or an 046 in HP, I'd just as soon buy the husky line of tools.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

David B

Talked to an echo dealer for a long time today, dad of my ex  ;D don't tell my wife haha! Anyways, he SWEARS by echo. Owned a goodsize small engine shop for a  long time, does it all. They do a run a little small but I will consider them. Some nice features, good jap engines. 
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Cut4fun

Chris J

If you're looking at/wanting a bigger Echo, you might want to take a look at their older saws, depending how much use it'll see.  If you're needing heavy useage on a regular basis, then Jonsered, Husqvarna, or Stihl might be a better choice. The current large Echos are okay saws, but they tend to lag behind what other manufactorers have to offer.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

rahtreelimbs

I Have an Echo CS-510 and a CS-670. Both are decent saws for the money. What surprised me was how strong the CS-510 was after opening up the muffler. Jokers ran this saw earlier this year and was surprised at how well it ran!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

David B

I hear they run low on HP, but they run 14,500 RPM or so...
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: Dave Idby on November 27, 2005, 04:24:58 PM
I hear they run low on HP, but they run 14,500 RPM or so...

That may very well be!!! Ijust know that the CS-510 is stronger than my modded Shindaiwa 488. Now a stock Husky 346 or Dolmar 5100........that is a different story! But it is a decent saw stock!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Thank You Sponsors!