iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Main line skidder cable

Started by rick f, February 19, 2014, 05:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

My main line frayed a whole strand yesterday. I'm thinking i'll have to get a new one very soon. Please tell me about them, swedeged vers reg cable. 5/8 x 85' reg  139.00    3/4 swedeged to 9/16 x 85 185.00+

I've got a 664 clark mostly used for firewood, about 100 cord a year

What would you get and why, please
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

MEloggah

The cable on ours is missing a strand the whole way. It looks funny but hasn't broke in over a year

treeslayer2003

pulling small wood, I would get 5/8 standard cable as it easy to handle and cheaper. a new small cable is better than a large wore out piece.

mad murdock

unless you need more length of cable on your winch, i would go with unswaged cable.  Save a bunch of $$.  you should be able to fit a 100' hank of 5/8' on your spool.  if you need more length, the swaged will fit more on for sure.   I bought mainline from Bailey's last time I needed cable, their price was surprisingly reasonable, even with freight.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Maine logger88

I personally prefer the 5/8 non swaged for usability and that's what I use on my 225 which it works great on. My 540 on the other hand will break a 5/8 standard cable with big twitches after awhile so swaged is what I have to run on that to get more life out of it I usually buy two cables a year one for each machine.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lynde37avery

5/8 is plenty good nuff. i buy one every 200 cord or 100 thou ft.
Detroit WHAT?

Birchwood Logging

I run 3/4 swedged on my 700 dozer with 8 bells on it I go through a cable about every month the 700 is pretty hard on cables but I pull 1500 bf twitches usually the 3/4 is heavy add 8 bells and a 2 foot pice of 1/2 chain on the end it will wear you out dragging it around
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

thenorthman

I run 3/4 regular, used to have 5/8's on there but the 3/4 lasts a whole lot longer.  I'm sure the swaged is nice and all but the sliders just tear everything up anyway.

Usually the last foot or so gets fairly hammerd so I keep an eye on it and hack it off when it starts getting more then a little sketchy.  If you get proactive on it you only loose a foot or two rather then the 3-10 feet when the line finally does break and take 3 or 4 strands with it.  If you've broke all the way through one strand now the chances are the line is pretty funky for a few feet as it is, now snap off a few more strands and see what happens...
well that didn't work

HiTech

All depends on what you are going to pull. Large trees and a bunch of them at a time the 3/4 swaged is hard to beat. I run 125 feet of 9/16" cable. 40,000 lb. plus breaking strength. I have a small skidder also. A C4 and 5 sliders. There are times all 5 are full and times I only use one. I have tortured it a few times and it seems to hold on. A Gearmatic 119 winch. My buddy runs 65' of 3/4" swaged and wouldn't run anything else. I had my skidder backed into a tree plus the brake locked and pulled a 24" on the butt Yellow Birch up a hill and had almost all my cable out to get to it. No limbs were cut off...the whole tree. The reason I pulled the whole tree was it was on a boundary line and I don't leave tops or limbs on lines. It tends to pith landowners off. Once I got it to my skidder I didn't know if I could pull it or not. 1st gear hi range and it followed me till I got to a spot I could limb it out. The hill was more a ledge than a hill. lol No other way to get it. I have a brand new 125' 9/16" cable ready in case I need it and also a 75' 5/8" if needed. Put a little diesel on them when you fill up and they seem to last longer. I have seen some skidders where I don't know if a 1" cable would be big enough. They make some monsters today. lol

coxy

that's all I use is 9/16 swaged 75ft its on my case 300   pettibone501  518 cat all with 7 sliders  and 3 350 dozers with 3 sliders    just have to use your head  :) :)

ST Ranch

5/8 sweded and 10 sliders on myKomatsu D37E crawler- I find the swedged lasts longer when winching in from the side while using the fairlead a lot.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

rick f

Thank you guys for the replys. I think i'll try a regular 5/8 cable and see how it works out.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Stephen Alford

Hey Rick, I realize everyone has to use what works for them. I do a bit of firewood and use a 100' ...1/2'' mainline. Works on the tractor or skidder.  About 123.00. Easy to to work with. I do put a squirt of chain oil on the fairlead seems to help.

logon

Thank You Sponsors!