iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The old neighbor hood tree.

Started by aquacanis, October 11, 2011, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquacanis

Once in a while I get a request to fell a tree in an area you could call "the kids tree"
in a neighbor hood.   If it is a maple 100 years old or older, just plan on buying
several new chains and maybe a bar.  Anyone ever try using a metal detector on
one of these trees?   I have often wanted to try one.  Hit three different metals in the
last one I cut.  Three chains shot.  I have hit everything from sap spouts, 16 nails,
horse shoes granpa hung on the first limb when the tree was small, arrow heads, and
hard to believe an axe head an old oak grew around.

Al_Smith

You can find all kinds of buried treasures in trees .About the best method is to stump jump it .In other word cut as low as possible .Normally there isn't anything down about ground level but some times that isn't always true .I once found a dog chain in a soft maple about 3 feet in diameter .

What you need is a semi chisel chain which is just about 2 filings away from the scrap bin .That way you aren't out much if you wreck it .

T Welsh

We find it all the time, you start to have an eye for buried metal in trees, maple is  a tough one. as Al said go low, or grin and bear it! we dont change our price if we hit metal in the removal stage,but if a customer ask,s it to go unto the mill and be cut into  lumber the first thing I do is go to the folder and give them my official (sawmill information sheet) then when I hit metal they buy a new blade regardless :) If you cut enough tree,s you will hit it sometime! Tim

Al_Smith

A portable bandsaw blade is not too bad,25 maybe 30 bucks .You knock the inserts out a circle mill then you talk the big bucks .

aquacanis

What about the metal detector idea?  Anyone ever tried it?

woodzy88

Havent tried metal detector and it wouldn't have helped me much ,I had just fitted a new semi chisel chain to a 42inch bar on a Sach Dolmar saw I use to own (heavy big pig) to cut down a large macrocarpa tree close to 10 ft across , and was in about a 2ft with the back cut when the saw stopped cutting. I withdrew the saw to find the top of every tooth totally ground off. I had to buy another chain and cut up higher to get the tree down . Once I could access the stump I had a dig around with and old chainsaw and an axe and came across an old ceramic insulator .
Hurts a bit when the chain is only on the saw for 15 minutes and a long chain aswell . 
woodzy88

Ianab

Yeah, I know what you mean about those old Mac trees. Most of them seem to have been used as fence posts at some stage  :D

I've cut a few at 4ft up because there was a 7 wire fence grown through the middle.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!