iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Robust tape recommendation

Started by kelLOGg, December 14, 2020, 07:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Sections of electrical tape on my tethered hand controller have for years come unstuck and I regularly have to replace them. Is there a super-adhesive tape that will stay bound long term? - I'm talking years. It gets pretty rugged use. I would use heat-shrink tubing if I didn't have to disassemble to install it. 

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

how many wires inside?  can you get a regular stranded wire in a rubber coating?  I have something like that for my conveyor with 7 wires I think, and it has lasted outside for 7 years. and looks new.  what is it a hand controller for?  the water tight flex conduit may work but not entirely flexible and not sure about the cold.  mine is trailer wire, and goes to my amp meter and relay (on off solenoid).  the braided loom might work, goes on like a Chinese handcuff, not sure if it is UV tolerant.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dgdrls

woodyone.john

Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Walnut Beast

Quote from: dgdrls on December 14, 2020, 09:10:33 PM
Black Gorilla Tape,

D
Just used some. The all weather one. I can honestly say it sticks in cold weather like they say it does 

mike_belben

It works on cracked implement seats real good, but wait till ya see how it bonds to leg meat. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

It works great on the fiberglass fenders of fancy log trucks when they need a temporary patch, too😬
Too many irons in the fire

kelLOGg

OK gorilla tape sounds like the winner. 
The controller has 2 heavy duty wires bound with sections of spiral cable binding. I use thick wire to withstand rugged use. I need the tape to keep the section ends from unwinding during dragging and getting snagged around the mill. It controls the speed and direction of the sawhead via a PWM to the DC motor.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mike_belben

Some 2" firehose slit open with scissors will make a dandy "header wrap" and then gorilla tape wrapped the other direction over it should make it pretty water proof.  Youd need loppers to hurt the wires after that.
Praise The Lord

YellowHammer

The Gorilla tape is pretty permanent whether you want it to be or not.  I used it on some dust collector fittings and a couple years later tried to take it off.  Nope...had to cut it off in sections.  

Excellent stuff. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

OldSmoke

I have used something called rubber splicing tape before. It is like a thick electrical tape and it is hanging on 5 years later, although I didn't use it in an abrasive environment. I have used that black gorilla tape previously as well and agree that it would be a good choice. Yellowhammer, I will have to use it on my DC hose, one section keeps pulling off my planer.
Woodland Mills HM126
Timberking M-14 sawmill
Stihl 024
Stihl MS661

Southside

The flexible sections of my dust collector hoses are now pretty much spiral bound, black gorilla tape.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gere Flewelling

From my experience, I would suggest purchasing some either 3/8" or 1/2" black plastic split loom.  You can get it from your local NAPA auto parts store.  You can slide your wires inside of it without having to go over the ends.  You can then use the black electrical tape (make sure it is warmed up) to tape it together every few inches to keep the wires inside of the split loom.  If you ever need to replace it, it is  just a matter of slicing the tape along the split in the loom and you can peel it right off your wires and put a new piece on.  They use this split loom all over the Snow Cat groomers that we operate at the ski area where I work.  It seems to tolerate the cold very well and last for a long time.  Makes it very easy to check for any broken or chaffed wires inside without having to cut through layers of sticky tape.  It seems like it would work well for you application as well.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

charles mann

What about a silicone based self fusing tape? We use it as an enviro tape to keep water out of connectors they are getting drenched on a daily base with 1000s of gallons of water.
This tape is good for high temps (500°F) which we use near our engines  https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11849/High-Temperature-Tape/Silicone-Self-Fusing-Tape-1-x-12-yds-Red?pricode=WB1915&gadtype=pla&id=S-11849&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgubjsJrQ7QIVi9XACh3Uqw3JEAQYASABEgKjffD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But the black tape survives around 120°F and as long as its clean when stretched and wrapped to itself, it stays put a d need a knife to gain access
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

esteadle

+1 on Fusing Silicone tape. Its what i use to repair hydraulic hoses that have rubbed or frayed and exposed the metal jacketing. 
It is tacky on both sides and sticks to itself so that when you overlap it, it creates a permanent seal. 

Thank You Sponsors!