iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS 310 Chainsaw & Chain

Started by Dsp, February 14, 2020, 09:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dsp

I recently bought an Echo CS 310 chainsaw which has the 14" chain.  I purchased the chainsaw to do some basic tree cutting around my property.  Since I have had the chainsaw I would say that it cuts  just okay.  As I am knew to chainsaws I am happy that it just works and that I don't have to use a pruning saw to do my cutting.  The question I have relates to the quality of the chain that comes with the chainsaw.  The chain comes with an Echo 91PX52CQ chain.  I made internet inquiries to find reviews on the chain but couldn't find anything.  I know that some manufactures cheap out a little bit on certain parts of equipment that could effect performance.  Is it the chain that is causing me to get only okay performance?  And yes I do sharpen the chain.  As I'm new at sharpening I try my best but I'm certainly not great.  I find that the chain doesn't appear to stay sharp very long.  So would the performance of the chain be greatly enhanced by purchasing an Oregon S52 chain (highly rated) or would I most likely get the same performance.  

Also I am aware that modifications can be made to the chainsaw that assist in performance.  I am aprehensive to do that as it would void my 5 year warranty.

Let me know your thoughts.

btulloh

How much dirt on the logs your cutting?  Dirt kills a chain really fast.  If you cut into the ground at the end of your cut or get the tip into the ground for even an instant, you'll knock the edge right off.  Hickory will dull a chain quick too, even when there's no visible dirt on it.  You didn't say how much you cut before your chain starts dulling, so give us some idea on that too.  I try to touch up the chain every time I have to gas up.  Worse case, I'll go two tanks before sharpening.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
HM126

lxskllr

Welcome! You probably have a couple "problems" going on there. One is that's a fairly small saw, so it'll be less performant than something larger. Second, I think you probably aren't doing as well sharpening the chain as you think. Dunno how long you've been sharpening chains, but it can take awhile til you get decent at it, and if you're doing it wrong, you may never get decent at it. Practice makes permanent, not necessarily perfect.

I'd suggest getting a good filing jig that does the teeth and rakers like the Stihl 2 in 1 guide. It's made by Pferd, so Pferd's would be good also. Using that, you can see how the file should work, and then learn to freehand it, or not. Nothing wrong with using a guide.

I don't think the specific chain is a big problem. I'm not a fan of any Oregon chain, but it works ok. It's kinda soft, so it does dull quick, but quick touchup with a file should get it cutting ok. You should be sharpening before it's very dull. Maybe every tank or two of gas depending on what your cutting, and the conditions. I like Stihl chain, but it's a little spendy. Stays sharp longer.

btulloh

Good thought from lxskllr on the guide.  That'd be a good way to hone your sharpening skills, plus the 2-in-1 will take care of the depth gauges, which a lot of people ignore early in their career.  If you don't maintain the proper profile on the tooth, it will dull faster.
HM126

sawguy21

Welcome! Pull up a stump. The saw is already equipped with the Oregon chain, Echo does not manufacture it. Sharpening takes some skill and involves patience and a lot of practice. Are you using the correct file? Are you ending up with the face of the cutter shaped like a C indicating the file is too deep? You may also want to try a loop of Stihl 63PM chain, it is a little harder to file but will hold an edge longer.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dsp

Thanks for the imput.  It sounds like the chain is probably fine and it's my sharpening skills that need work.  As I said I am new at it so it only makes sense that it will take time to get better.  I was using a guide but I will look into getting a jig as it sounds like it might help me.  I have watched a few YouTube videos on sharpening and some did say it was an art.  I will try and get better.  Thanks again for all the imput.

btulloh

You'll get it.  Nice thing is there are a lot of good videos out there and they can put you on the right track a lot faster than trying to figure it out on your own.  It does take some practice, but you're already way ahead of a lot of people that don't even think about sharpening their chains.  Keep at it, and stay safe.
HM126

ladylake

These little saws come with safety chain which doesn't cut good, file the rakers and safety humps down a little helps them bite the wood better.  Also a lot come tuned to lean, proper tuning and opening up the muffle really helps the power.  If tuned lean they will bog easy.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dsp

The chainsaw does seem to bog down quite easily.  I will search for information on proper tuning so as to get better chainsaw performance.  I don't however want to make alterations that may void the warranty.  As far as the chain goes I have trimmed down the rakers a bit and am trying to improve my sharpening skills.  I thought it may be a lesser quality chain.  When I need to replace it I will go with a more aggresive chain.  

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Thank You Sponsors!