iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pricing cedar lumber

Started by sawman, December 02, 2012, 07:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawman

I'm sure i have read this somewhere but search is not returning any results.
We are sawing some cedar 1 1/8 x random width, and trying to determine what to price it.
I realize prices vary from area to area and other factors.
Just looking for some ideas.
We don't run across cedar very often.
???  ???  ???  ???  ???
widths vary from 5 to 12 inch
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sale mine for $2.00 a board foot in my market.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shelbycharger400

5-7 or so,  $2 / bd foot
8-10  I get $2/ bd foot for mostly sap wood,  all red or nearly I get 3 and 4 in respect
10-12 mandates premium regardless, at $4,  unless its full of brown rot
I had some 16 in wide, but was full of brown rot, got 2-3 / bd foot

Lots of erc in your area market, less demand,  Not much around, brings a few dollars.

WDH

I sell it for $2.00/BF as well, but I don't get much of it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

learner

What does the wood look like sawman?  Can you post some pics?  This is what we saw and sell here.

I'm not settled on a price yet but $3bf is good.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Okrafarmer

I sell mine for $2-3 / bf, depending on quality. Hard to get cedar with no brown rot around here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sawman

thanks for all the replies,
it will be next weekend before i can get any pics, due to work schedule
Wallenstein FX85

123maxbars

Up in Northeast TN I get 1.00 a bf. Sounds like I need to raise prices
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Okrafarmer

Quote from: 123maxbars on December 02, 2012, 09:22:53 PM
Up in Northeast TN I get 1.00 a bf. Sounds like I need to raise prices

Yes, please, or I'm going to start buying lumber from you to sell.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They have a lot more Cedar up there than we do. Probably more competition in Cedar sales.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

'Bout can't give it away in my area.  It is just a matter of supply and demand, much supply and little demand. I have probably 50 logs stacked.  Fifty cents would be a good price.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

We have a lot of demand here. Not for a huge commercial sawmill, necessarily, but for those of us who are niche marketers.

Cedarman

For commercial mills, cedar cants are 70 to 90 cents. Usually 4' or 8' long.  This is in quantity. For 4/4 boards that may have a little wane, but sound, $1.20 for 100 feet or more.
We ship 4000 square feet at a time into Tx S2S 3/8 for 90 cents per square foot and shipping is about $800.00
For local markets in areas where there is little cedar $2.00 to $3.00 seems reasonable since you will have to deal with low grade lumber with splits , rot, and ingrown bark. And do something with the slabs.
Big mills grind slabs into mulch. That helps.
We can ship 1000 feet of 4/4 about any where for $500 to $700 so that keeps the delivered price below $2.00 .

My extensive price list is at www.cedarusa.com
Giles and Kendall at Gainsville Mo buys a lot of cants to make cedar paneling.  They can quote you a price.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Okrafarmer

Part of the $2-3 price is because it is locally grown, locally milled. Still, I could probably buy it from 123maxbars for $1 / bf, and sell it here for $2. Just the trucking to contend with, but I think he is within 150 miles of me.

sawman

thanks again for all the responses,
Wallenstein FX85

Thank You Sponsors!