iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

longest one yet

Started by Den-Den, July 04, 2015, 10:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

My home built mill was designed with 8 ft hardwood logs in mind, I have cut a few 12 footers before.  This 8 x 10" pine beam is 14 ft long, there was about 5 inches of travel available in front of the blade and the back of band just cleared the end of log.  It would not be hard to extend the bed but I am loading and turning logs manually so longer capability could put me in a bind.

This is the first of four beams for Austin's porch.  The log was only 13" dia at small end and was slightly curved so there is a little wane in a couple of spots (< 1" wide).

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Chuck White

Looks like a fine job there, Den!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brad_bb

Extend it, make a turner or get a piece of equipment- forklift or FEL.  The bigger you can cut, the more you can do.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

DD,

Real pretty beam. Well done IMO.

My mill is supposed to cut up to 21' but I have hydraulics. Biggest I have cut was some 2.5"X12"X20.5' and it was a pain. Hydraulics turns the log fine but then I had a 150 lb board to drag around. Even worse when I had to lift it up to the poles to nail it. Son brought big tractor up and helped lift them. I needed wide openings in front of the shed reason for long framing.

I agree with Brad in recommendation to extend the mill. I'd want to be able to cut 17' log anyway as 16' boards with some trim pretty standard for much construction work. Install a winch or such to parbuckle logs if you need to do so to turn them. Keep up the good work. Be careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!