iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019-20

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 06, 2019, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

That looks really good, I am on today,  so for myself all I got done for me was 14  10 ft 2x6s out of a Douglas fir log, they still sit on the mill because I finished with the head lamp a little while ago a d was tired. My last office visit was for a kangaroo and it was past dark when I got home. I will post a picture of it somewhere else. Yesterday started with a hedgehog, so why not a kangaroo.. Glad your project is moving along I hope that craig's list dude comes through with a reply.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: richhiway on January 04, 2020, 08:57:00 PM
Looks good. What I was saying was to put the boards you are using back on the mill and take a little off each side. I think you will find it will square them up. Also a lot of boards get a little curve in them when they dry.
Yes, I understood that, but it would put those boards at a different width than the others and when laying flooring that does not work. I just planed off the high spots and let it ride. For this project, I have no time to dry and re-saw. I am milling and nailing as I go to get it done, but trying some new stuff and trying to make it look nice. I would love to have that kind of time to wait and resaw, but that wasn't happening. The MC on this wood, I just checked it today, is averaging 20%. Higher than I would like, but we gotta do what we gotta do.
 It's all about choices I guess.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Rough day today. Not a bad day, just not really fulfilling. I had a rough night sleeping last night and that cold that took me down Thanksgiving week is back in full bloom. I guess it is going to be one of those winters. I finally heard back from the table saw seller late last night. Around 6:30am the wind pulled a storm window off the front of the house, so at 7am I was out there cleaning up a lot of broken glass which took nearly and hour. Then I got the trailer hooked up and left at 8:30, grabbed something to eat and went and looked at the saw. It was as advertised, a simple 10" Rockwell with the extended fence. They had build a router table in between the extended fence rails and the router was included. Needs new wiring, no big deal, needs a new blade, they only had a fine tooth count for it for trim work. Not bad for $150. It is big for my shop and I will have to figure that part out. They did not have the miter square, which perplexed me. I will have to order one from somewhere, kind of need that. ;D Got it home and unloaded it myself (nobody around) and it wasn't too bad. I felt very run down and tired. Really wanted to go fetch a log and mill the remaining lumber but the wife wanted me to "help" with the monthly food shopping trip. That means I go and stand with the shopping cart and follow her around, help unload the cart onto the cashier belt, pack the bags after load the car, go home (picking up lunch on the way), then unloading the stuff into the house. I don't feel like I do anything but burn up 2 hours until it comes to helping her unload at home, which I do whether I go or not. Today was worse because I had these coughing fits the whole time we were in the store and it was embarrassing and it got bad to the point I started gagging. I could not get out of there fast enough and was miserable. Anyway, we came home, unloaded, ate, and I went out and grabbed the Mule to go on a log hunt. It's windy and still nasty and I was not in the mood. I was pushing myself. I was looking for a 10 footer but no joy. Finally found a 9 footer I had forgotten about it's an ash and as I recall it had some growth stress in it, but we will see. This would is not going to be long between milling, planing, and screwing down. Well, I got the log up and rolled it on the mill, but still I was feeling poorly and could not bring myself to start milling. I felt like (fill in the blank). So I went in the shop and laid a few more boards, but my lumber variety is getting low and I decided I did not want a lot of end joints. So I took a pause and thought it through and decided I would put a hold on the progress until I made more lumber and could do a nicer job. By this time I had a banger of a headache. I decided to bag it at just 4pm. The shop is cluttered with machines now, the RA saw, the Planer, lumber, and the table saw are consuming my working space and I don't like it much. I have no energy to fix it right now. 
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Ljohnsaw

The old Craftsman 10" I picked up to replace my 8" didn't have a miter gauge ::)  So I just use my old one.  In the meantime, you can make yourself a sled.  Get some thin plywood (luan will work) and a piece of nice hardwood.  Cut a strip that fits your miter slot (needs to be a little thinner then the depth of the slot).  Work it until it goes end to end with no hangups or looseness.  I had to file the miter slot ends on my 'new' 10" at they were off a few thousandths in the width.  Next, glue and screw this to the plywood such that the left edge will get trimmed by the blade and the right side extends 2 to 3 feet.  It will also help if the hardwood extends 6-12" on the far side but flush with the near side.  Need some really short screws.  Could just glue it if you wish.  This extension on the far side helps when you are trying to cut some really wide stuff.  When dry, run it through your blade to make the left edge parallel to the miter slot and exactly the distance.  Using a framing square, attach a "fence" to the edge closest to you, square with the freshly cut edge.  Glue and screw.  Now you can crosscut boards and sheet goods square (stuff that is too wide for your RAS).  You can make some triangle blocks with your radial arm saw to put on this sled if you want to make some angled cuts.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

I was going say make a miter sled too. I rarely use the miter gauge but use the sled often.

Old Greenhorn

Well this cold really took me down hard. I was in my pj's until 2pm, that never happens. I didn't even have the energy to respond to anything here on the forums and I took a 3 hour nap between coughing. It's bronchitis but oh well. What are you gonna do? First time I stepped out the door was 10 minutes ago to fetch wood.

Yeah, the sled is a great idea, that is something woodworkers do right? Still the miter gauge seems for flexible and I will probably wind up with both as my skills and interest improves. Obviously did nothing today and tomorrow ain't looking so hot either. I just wanted to jump in here and acknowledge the suggestions.

I am now returning to my lethargic state.

APope

Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

doc henderson

PJs!!!  what no pics?  hope you get feeling better.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Old Greenhorn

Well today was the best day of the week for sure, I am feeling a little better but not by much, so I had to force myself to get out and work. The temp went over 60 today and there is no way, sick or not that I am going to let that slide by. The shop is more of a mess with each session and I have to start working it back down to usable. I still don't sleep well at night. This week I was out of work 3 days, went in Thursday, and bagged it at noon on Friday, but came home and just took a nap.
 This morning I got out there at 10, turned on the heat in the shop where it was much colder than outside. Then went out to the mill. I already had a log clamped up but forgot to level the pith so I did that and started work. I made a 10x10 cant and cut it into boards, also edged a couple of maple 5/4 I had left off the last time. Wound up with about 70 BF, more than enough to finish the floor. Since it was very warm I was working in a shirt most of the time, but the wind was about 20 MPH off and on. I ran an air hose from the shop to the mill and blew off all the previous frozen sawdust, bark scraps and junk  that had been building up on the mill in the last few sessions. Loaded from the mill direct onto that little salvaged trailer, I moved the boards to the shop and re-arranged machines. It is like playing checkers now, with the new table saw, the borrowed planer, and my RA saw all cluttering the floor. It is making me nuts, but the end is in sight.
In this photo the table saw is under my butt (behind me). This is supposed to be a fully open truck bay:

So I started planing, but it is quite a load on the back when you are feeding and catching with no roller tables. I think it took 6 or 7 passes on all the boards to match the working thickness of the other material. Last run through I stickered the new stuff to let the blade lube evaporate off. This log was ash and I used a heavy flow. Wood chips are really starting to become an 'issue'. I have about 5 garbage cans worth and neither do I wish to spend the time to load and haul them out, nor can I tolerate a 4" layer of them all over the shop. I was holding off for one big cleanup, but I don't know if I have anymore room to wait. :D Maybe I can sell/give them to somebody who raises gerbils or dare I say chickens?

Anyway, here is the production for the day. Although I was only at about 70% of normal (which is 50% of what a lot of you guys do on an off day), at least I made some progress in my pitiful 7 hour day that wore me out. Tomorrow I hope to get that floor done now that I have material.

When I quit at 4:30, I came in a found a package on my desk that came in the mail. My wife asked "what did you buy now?" and although I had bought a miter gauge for the table saw, that is not due until Monday. As it turns out @Nebraska had sent me a variety of dust masks including some nice N95's for me to reduce my dust intake. It was a nice reminder that I should take better care of myself and not breath all this stuff in when I have an option. Point well taken my friend. In fact I had just stolen one from my son's toolbox this morning, but it is a cheapy and I wasn't happy. The ones Nebraska sent are much nicer. I laughed when I saw the surgical masks because all my trauma kits have a few of these and I NEVER thought of using them. :D Anyway, it was VERY thoughtful and I am truly touched. Thank You. The friends I have made here on the Forum, both those I have met and those unmet have been wonderful people.
 So it wasn't a real productive day, but it was a good day, and it ended with a bonus. Normally I would go back out after dinner, but I don't think I should push my luck.... yet. ;D

richhiway

It was nice today. Fixed the roof on my drying shed that the tree fell on a few months ago.
Hope you feel better soon.

It only takes a few minutes to make a simple table saw sled, I use mine a lot. Just you tube it. I used hardwood plywood and an aluminum runner. 

I also have a video on my you tube of a table saw lathe I made that will turn round legs for benches.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: richhiway on January 11, 2020, 05:48:05 PM
It only takes a few minutes to make a simple table saw sled, I use mine a lot. 

I also have a video on my you tube of a table saw lathe I made that will turn round legs for benches.
Yeah, the sled will likely come in time when I get the saw properly set up. I bought a blade the other day and have yet to put it on. Gotta get it situated first, finish the loft, then play.
That jig you made for legs has been in the back of my mind for a long time, since you posted it, I think. That is definatley on my list. I am not sure if I will do it on the table saw or the RA, but I will do it for sure.

Nebraska

Tom,
You are very welcome, actually my motives are fairly selfish as I'd like to see this thread go on at least long enough your grandkids are proficient at felling and milling.    8)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on January 11, 2020, 10:22:46 PM
Tom,
You are very welcome, actually my motives are fairly selfish as I'd like to see this thread go on at least long enough your grandkids are proficient at felling and milling.    8)
Well, that doesn't sound very selfish, just considerate. I expect I will be around longer than the average person can tolerate. ;D
As for this thread, I never intended to keep it going more than a year, so I have to check the start date, but that is around the time I will cut it off. (April or May I think.) There is only so much drivel folks can endure. :D
Once again, thank you. I will be trying them out today.

(EDIT to ADD: I was fascinated by the shipping box you chose. What is Bovine-Rotavirus-Coronavirus vaccine? It's a little foreign to my world, not being a livestock guy. Does it taste like chicken?)

Nebraska

@Old Greenhorn ....Just recycling... I think that box contained  vaccine for momma cows to help pass immunity to calves via first milk. It is to help prevent neonatal diarrhea in its various forms,......or it was an oral vaccine that goes straight to newborn calves still for calf diarrhea, either way It is a serious herd health issue in cattle.   Calves that get sick cost money and don't perform as well later on when they are growing. I seriously doubt either one tastes like chicken.  ;)  As far as the thread,  yes I suppose you can only have one initial season. So you probably could modify the title a little going forward. 8)

doc henderson

could just add an s to season and make it pleural.   :)  @Nebraska  I think he is wanting a dose or three of the vaccine.  @Old Greenhorn  might reduce your colds, and or diarrhea. :D .  I am sure he will do what ever for a fellow woodworker! ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

@doc henderson  Well the  injection needle might be a just  little  big.  ;)

Old Greenhorn

Just in for a breakfast/lunch break and had to respond: Please don't send me any bovine meds, oral or otherwise. I will do fine, it just takes time. Really, I'm good, but thanks for the thought. Now back to work, this 62 degrees ain't gonna last long.

doc henderson

Old Greenhorn

OK, still not sleeping well or through the night, and the coughing, although less is still distracting at least. But the temp was just around 60 when I got up this morning, holy cow. Can't sit around and let that get away! So I got through my morning dreariness and got out there around 9am. Turned on the heat to take the chill off (it was still warmer outside than in the shop) and got back to laying  the floor with those newly planed boards. Got the main floor finished and did the 'bridge' for the old deck to the new deck. I only missed on matching the finish height by a 1/16". I'll take it.

So my neighbor that helped set the front beam stopped in to see how it was going right after I did the last board and he was surprised at how well it came out. He was even more surprised to learn those old 'rotten' logs I have been cleaning off his property supplied 90% of the lumber for it (save the ash log I milled yesterday and used about 4 boards from). He said it changed the way he will look at every dead tree from now on. :D
I kind of like it so far.

The deck isn't what you would call a fine quality hardwood floor. My edges aren't really great, the face screws are pretty obvious. There is a little mismatch here and there. I tried some stuff on this just to understand the pitfalls better, like the opposed bias between the bridge and the main deck area. It was fun and came out OK, but not even close to perfect, so no close-ups of my fine jointing skills will be found here. ;D

At this point my back was pretty tired. After lunch and a quick fending off of an offer for some 'special application meds', I got back out there and commenced to getting the total mess under control. I found a taker for my planer chips, but he could not get over today, so I made up 5 big bags for him and the rest went in the compost pile. I did a quick sanding on the floor to take off the screw burrs, blew the deck off and worked my way down the stairs and alternated between air hose and broom to do a first pass from the back of the shop to the front. This took quite a while and I still have to do the RA saw area, and then a full second pass, but at least it made it more workable and I am no longer wading through 4" of dust and chips. The N95 mask from @Nebraska made this a whole lot more do-able for me. I would have let it sit were it not for that mask.

I know I need railing, But I have put zero thought into that so far. This will have to go up next, at least on the front, which will tie into the existing loft. Then I can do around the stairs and I want to think about that a little. I need to leave room to make a turn at the top of the stairs, so I may have to get a little fancy. I also have to re-do the top step or two on the stairs to make a turn left or right easier. Before, you could only go left.
 So I could not muster the hours I would have liked to work this weekend, but progress is being made and I can tell you I am a fairly tired dog tonight.

Ljohnsaw

One more thought to increase the working area of your loft.  Why not make a trap door/floor?  Have it hinge up to the right and it will become the railing when up but workable floor area when down?  You'd just need to get some wood from somewhere or other ... ;)

Add a rope with a counterweight on the end wall to help lift it up.  Put a cleat on the joists/beams and the wall to support it when down and use 3 or 4 door hinges set down so you are not tripping over the pin area sticking up.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

yeah, that's a good idea. In fact my son and I had beat that one around a few weeks ago. I thought about it, but finally put that idea on the side because I would have to open the 'door' to get up and down, which means it's not very feasible for working project space and the whole counterweight thing consumes more space. Still, I kept it in the back of my head and this afternoon I came up with the concept of putting a workbench at the rail height (about 35") from the bridge to as far as it practicable without interfering with head clearance, perhaps another 3-4 feet. I have a small bandsander, a little bench drill press, some buffers and grinders that would mount up there nicely and be very usable with access from 3 sides.
 Waddya think?

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 12, 2020, 08:44:22 PMWaddya think?
Can't quite picture it, need a drawing.  But, I'm not thinking of it as project space but more as walking space like when trying to cut a big piece of wood.  You could have a workbench along there that is no higher than your table saw.  But with the "door" down, you can access the workbench from all sides and it doubles as an out-feed or in-feed area for the table saw, for example.  Not sure what is on the other side of the staircase on the loft.  Maybe a wall there?
John Sawicky

Nebraska

Nice progress on that deck it turned out well. I like the work bench idea instead o f some sort of railing.  You've got way more to show for today than I.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 12, 2020, 09:31:59 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 12, 2020, 08:44:22 PMWaddya think?
Can't quite picture it, need a drawing.  ......
......Not sure what is on the other side of the staircase on the loft.  Maybe a wall there?
@ljohnsaw no time for a sketch, I am late leaving for work (bad night last night). If you look at the 3rd photo in last night's post, picture that just to the right of the 'bridge' I add another platform, but raise it about 35" creating a bench. This will give headroom for someone coming up the stairs. It will be like a box with a top (bench) and open on the upstairs side. I'd like to keep the head clearance suitable for a 6'2" person, so no 'ducking' required. I don't understand your last question about a wall. The floor is all open space, but it is cluttered right now prior to re-organizing. Right now there is a 19" rack cabinet blocking the walk over which I am trying to get rid of. The stairs when you walk up, end at the back wall of the shop.
 The more I think about it, the less I like the door idea, because if I get up there, close the door and get working on something then have to pee.... I will need a ladder ...... or a bucket. ;D I have yet to take any measurements to see how feasible this might be.

Thank You Sponsors!