iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose hunt 2015

Started by Ken, September 13, 2015, 07:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

It's been 18 years since I last had my name drawn for a license.  Although I've been on many hunts in that time its been a long time since I was able to carry the rifle.   We have 2 licences going to the camp we stay at. 

We spent the day yesterday checking out some of our favorite spots.  Between 2 trucks we spotted 2 moose, 1 deer, a bear, several grouse, hawks, etc.  Found some really good hot spots with lots of scrapes and browsing.  I will spend today getting some of my gear ready and shine up the 30-06.  I'm stoked.  Only 9 more sleeps  8) 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Magicman

Congrats on the "finally a tag".  smiley_thumbsup  I will be in your cheering section rooting for your successful hunt.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Best of luck with the hunt.
It has been 15 yrs since i went to Newf to hunt the critters.
Moose is my second favorite meat after our Whitetails and i miss it.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

gspren

I have been lucky enough to eat some moose that a coworker shot but never hunted them, I'm jealous. While deer hunting in Maine I've seen some nice bulls that got my heart working overtime even though I couldn't shoot. Good luck and I'll be watching here for a report.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ken

Moose hunt 2015 is in the books.  We were successful on both licenses at the camp.  I got a decent 10 point on the second day.  We had 437 pounds of meat delivered to the butcher from that animal.  My buddy got a monster 16 point on the 3rd day.  Although it wasn't weighed we suspected the field dressed weight was over 900 pounds with a 52 inch spread on the horns.   Great time had by all 

beenthere

Nice hunt and great results. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Looks like some good eat'n this winter.  8)  I think the hunt should be 2 weeks and more licenses. They could use more thinning out. Lots of areas around that the moose herd ain't even touched. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Nice Moose.  Congratulations on your successful hunt.
The Moose hunt for district 3, Northern Maine starts next week.
I've been at the cabin the last 6 weeks and haven't seen a Moose in my travels yet.  Highly unusual. I used to say that you would have to have your head in the sand to not see a Moose.  So far,  I only saw one pile of their evidence in the woods but none in the fields.  When we were here in May, Moose were everywhere.  That is usually the norm here during any season and also known for high accident rate Vehicle/Moose collisions.  One did get hit by a Fuel truck close by a couple weeks ago.  I heard the gunshot when the officer put it down.  The truck was pulled off onto an old road and it stayed there for over a week.  We did see a nice size Whitetail Doe on the edge of our woods.  My game camera that I left setup when we left in May does show a few Moose with babies, deer and other lil critters.  I'll post them when I get back.  On Very limited service and on mobile view for now.
There was also several coyotes on the game cam and also heard them on several occasions.  Probably a den close by with young ones from the sounds of it.  Haven't seen them but they leave evidence on the road and trails often.

Magicman

Congratulations Ken on the successful hunt.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Way to go Ken.
I am salivating thinking about the great eating you have coming.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

They are some beauties!

Congratulations to all!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bossie71

nice bull! my daughter got hers on the morning of the second day if the 1st maine season. 51in. 937lb. dressed. id post pics but I'm terrible w/ computers. good eats this winter! we got lucky as the moose pop. is way down this year.

Mooseherder

While we were up there I noticed the town of Ashland was recording about 40 per day and the rest of the harvest in zone 3 towns way lower.

Ken

bossie71  Congrats on your daughters moose.  I hope it is as tasty as mine.  Got 2 steaks marinating for tomorrows supper

thecfarm

Congrats to all with the moose. I saw some evidence that was left behind in the woods on my land. Have not seen it,as yet. Just like the bear that is around here,I see the evidence,but have only seen the bear once.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bossie71

Quote from: Ken on October 18, 2015, 08:42:04 PM
bossie71  Congrats on your daughters moose.  I hope it is as tasty as mine.  Got 2 steaks marinating for tomorrows supper
thanks! we had backstrap on the fire, bird hunting last week. was so tender we ate it w our hands!

bossie71

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 17, 2015, 07:36:09 PM
While we were up there I noticed the town of Ashland was recording about 40 per day and the rest of the harvest in zone 3 towns way lower.
the 1st week hunt numbers were way down. ft. kent was actually tagging more than ashland this year.

Mooseherder

I saw that on the local news up there.  Van Buren only had 1 reported the first day while Ashland had 40.

rooster 58

mart

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

thecfarm

A successful moose hunt. Good for you and all the helpers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

Yeah the neighbor got a moose to. He had to go get a new freezer, I helped unload it last week. I said now fill it will moose meat. Knowing him he's probably got a side of beef as well to store and maybe a deer later on. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!