iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back logging again. Finally

Started by poor farmer/logger, March 05, 2010, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donny hochstetler

my machine is a B model which is an older model still has the older style brakes its a dry brake very similar to an automotive type brake you would find on a medium siize truck ,theres a drum brake right under the winch on the bottom driveline thats the foot brake the parking brake is also on the bottom driveline but is up between the torque converter and the transmission.its still a lot better than dragging your feet  :o its always amazing to me that these guys can design a sweet little machine that is top notch in almost every aspect but when it comes to the brakes its almost like friday late afternoon  ahh  there just loggers they don"t need brakes :D My machin was converted to a 6bt cummins which is a very nice engine it almost new 1200 hrs. good luck keep your feet dry  8)

poor farmer/logger

That Java uploader sure works like a treat for the most part though. Surprised more of the forums don't have it.

Your welcome Magicaman.

thecfarm, I've goten part ways threw that one. Long ol ways to go yet though.lol..

Thanks beenthere. imo there's few places nicer then the bush. The smells the sights even the sounds. It's pretty tough to beat. Especially the smell. You go into the bush or landing where I've been limbing trees and the smell of the spruce is everywhere. Last year when I was logging in this same stand I had a little heard of deer following me around too. Kind of nice to see. They haven't gotten used to be yet though so they haven't started coming out when I'm working. Usually see some by the time we're about to finish up though.

You might even survive here right now cc.lol.. Been around +40F here for the last week now pretty well. Sure makes things tough at times though when it's warm. Surprisingly most of the limbs are coming off pretty good. Had a few trees that were just like rubber though. Had to trim them up with the chainsaw. Pilling logs in the landing gets interesting too. Everything is so slipery. Gets frustrating at times but eventually the tree goes where you want it to.

I always like seeing pics of the big tress from out west. I guess our primary tree out here would be white poplar. No real uses for it right now though for bigger amounts. Next would be Jack Pine and then White Spruce. Pretty close relative  to the douglas fir I suspect. Little bit of Balsam Fir too. Not one of my favorite trees though. There's pockets of white birch here and there and lots of maples in old farm yards.

Ryan

beenthere

Quote from: poor farmer/logger on March 08, 2010, 09:06:49 AM
That Java uploader sure works like a treat for the most part though. Surprised more of the forums don't have it.
imo there's few places nicer then the bush. The smells the sights even the sounds. It's pretty tough to beat. Especially the smell. You go into the bush or landing where I've been limbing trees and the smell of the spruce is everywhere. ...............

Your comment brought back some memories of that spruce smell, from days in the forest where it was being logged.

Maybe Jeff can put that smell up on the forum to go along with the pics.  A good addition to the Java uploader... 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

Say what.... you want jeff to impregnate our computers with yet another thing?  ;)  I think the sense of smell thing would be a bit hard to achieve though....  For now I will stick to going to the bush if'n I wanna smell spruce.  Hey, atleast it's the smell of spruce and not the smell of aspen (poplar) which smells like rotten socks off a midget troll.  ;)  :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

captain_crunch

Come on Jeff it would be a neet feature ;D ;D I could find my computer in the dark that way :D :D Just NO white fir in summer :o :o :o Back east you may not have this problem but out west they have water pockets in them. Hit one on Hot summer day and you find out real quick why we call them P**s Fir. My wife best described the stink when I came home<What the H--l did you fall into??>
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

poor farmer/logger

Maybe a scratch and sniff like the ol days back in kindergarten.lol..

The balsom fir here has a smell that I can't say that I care for. It's a really sickening sweet smell. You know it as soon as you cut into it, that's for sure. Nothing quite that bad for pitch here but if you're cutting green spruce you can feal the moisture  hiting you in the face. Makes it a bugger if you wear glasses.

Poplar is the worst that I've been around though like coon said it aint purty.

Didn't go to the bush today at all. Getting things set up for the trip to whitecourt ab. Not sure if we're all going or not yet though. Parents don't like me going to the bush by myself though so either way it'll be a couple days lost.

Ryan

Ryan

treefarmer87

very nice logs, good looking skidder
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

poor farmer/logger

Thanks treefarmer87. Sure allot more fun working with logs like this then what we're used to. Usually cutting mostly dieseased jack pine. It's crooked has limbs near as big as the tree and sometimes brown inside. They've finally decided that they better look after the guys that are logging though which was smart as there wouldn't have been hardly anyone left otherwise I don't think.

Well, we delayed our trip to whitecourt so we went back to the bush again. Figure we'll put in another couple or three good days and call er quits. We'll have more then enough to do us over the summer. Most likely have enough for next summer too. That's okay though as it dries out lots and makes the big trees a whole lot easier to handle at the sawmill. Makes dry pilling lumber a little less of a issue too.

Pic of the progressing pile.

treefarmer87

i know what you mean, i would much rather work with logs like that, in my case its yellow poplar
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

poor farmer/logger

Allot more fun with trees like this at the mill too. Hard on the guy on the other end of the saw though moving lumber. Hard to keep up with 2x8x16 when they're rolling off the saw.

Any chance you've got some pics of those trees treefarmer87? Never seen any yellow poplar I don't think. All we have around here for poplar is white and black. Both of which aren't my favorite hardwood to work with.lol.. In this area we run into lots of problems with the poplar have brown centers.

I think we've got one more days work left and then we'll be done for this year. Probably gona call it quits anyways. I've got roughly another 60 trees down in the bush  so hopefully one more good day and it'll all be out.

Starting to run out of room in the landing anyways so it's time to quit.lol. Still room to pile but it's getting hard to pull in and turn with the skid of logs.

I've been wanting to get some more pics from back in the bush with the skidder working but so far it hasn't worked out. I've been busy felling or been busy on the skidder and forget about it  till quiting time.

Ryan

treefarmer87

my wife just tried a few mins ago couldnt get the pics on here. i got 2 or 3 loads to take tomorrow ill be gone all day. she is gonna try again tomorrow morning so they might be up tomorrow hopefully it works.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!