The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Taking the fifth wheel around Michiganís upper peninsula  (Read 3931 times)

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
Re: Taking the fifth wheel around Michiganís upper peninsula
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 08:19:58 PM »
The bridge was not bad at all. I actually drove across it three times while in the area but only once with the fifth wheel in tow. I can however see how it could be less than enjoyable with a cross wind or during winter conditions.
Below is a photo at sunset in Seney National Wildlife Refuge.

A

Thursday we traveled southwest to Palm Books State Park to see Kitch-iti-kipi Springs. Jesse really wanted to fish here in the springs but the park  Ranger seriously frowns on that practice so we didnít. The photo below is from the floating platform on the springs.

We spent some time Thursday in Manistique, Jesse and I fishing and Stephanie doing some shopping. This is really a nice little town with a beautiful boardwalk along Lake Michigan and great river access onto the lake from right in town. The pic below is from near the marina in Manistique.

A

Friday it was time to make some tracks toward home. We left Germfask at 7:00 am sharp traveling the majority of the day in a southwesterly direction along the northwest shore of Lake Michigan, through Green Bay and across Wisconsin. Arriving at our next destination, Nelson Dewey State Campground nestled in the bluffs along the east bank of the Mississippi.
I can honestly say you need to be careful of which road your gps selects to get you there if your pulling a 36í+ fifth wheel. We didnít get into a pickle thank goodness. We did however travel about 20 some miles of ďso called highwayĒ that was no place for my truck and fifth wheel. Iíll just say there were more white knuckles in that truck than just mine.

T
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
Yup, I have had "Miss Direction" (GPS) to take me to some spots where I wished that I wasn't.  :o

I am enjoying your trip.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Jack S

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
I have an  old saying trust but verify. Anytime I'm traveling to a unknown location I take a break from the FF and go to google earth and do a close up study of the area and the destination that way when I get there I have a better idea of what to look for. I have been really enjoying your trip. Thanks for sharing it.  Jack

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 07:35:37 AM »
Use older guys still like to know where we are going before we get there...... :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Jack S

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
ya gotta get older first WD then its ok

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 09:58:26 PM »
I will say that the gps has made driving in unfamiliar places much easier. And a big plus is that it has put a stop to many trips ending up in heated debates between me and my wife when she tries to do the navigating while I drive :) :)  (doubt if any of you know what I mean ;) ). However the big downside is that it doesnít help me learn an unfamiliar area like reading a map does. Seems like once I navigate an area once or twice with a map I remember and retain the information much better.

The Nelson Dewey State Park was a nice campground albeit a little tight for maneuvering our camper. Jesse and I hiked a couple of short trails that overlooked the river. Then grilled cheeseburgers over a wood fire for our last evening meal of the trip.

Saturday morning we were on the road at 8:00 am with somewhere around seven hours of driving to do to get home. Needless to say it was the typical long day on the road when your on the last leg home. We arrived home Saturday late afternoon tired from the drive, but happy to be home as usual.

It was a enjoyable trip and I want to thank Furby, Shotgun, and all the other forum members who gave sound advice on things to see and do in the U.P.

We drove 2426.5 miles through six different states. We stopped and fueled a total of twelve times (some were more bathroom stops than fuel stops) totalling 295.41 gallons of gas at an average price of $3.238 per gallon. (Didnít I say we were going to burn some serious fossil fuels in one post ?)  We got to see and swim (or at least wade) in three of the Great Lakes. Jesse and I had our first kayaking adventure together. We rediscovered how easily Stephanie gets motion sickness on the Mackinac Ferry and the Miss Munising :D :D. I learned what a white cedar tree looks like and really started to understand just how different trees and especially bark looks in different areas of the country. I ate my first pastyís, boiled peanuts, and blueberry wafflecone ice cream. We watched the Soo Lock lift a 780í long freighter twenty one feet. We saw beautiful waterfalls, small streams, majestic rivers, and a unbelievably clear freshwater springs. We also got the chance to meet a whole bunch of really great people at the Pig Roast.

Thanks for reading.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »
All I know  about GPS, do not trust it in Arkansas
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »
It's good to read that you and your family had a good trip and made it home safely.  move_it

We enjoyed meeting you, Stephanie, & Jesse and also sharing the "pig" duties.  Since this one is a wrap, we can start making plans for next year.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
That's the Round Island Lighthouse across from Mackinaw Island managed by the Hiawatha National Forest. I put the first USFS sign there and made the first management plan for it in 1963. Round Island has been since designated a National Scenic Area.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Dangerous Cats in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Started by Shotgun on General Board

25 Replies
Last post March 13, 2005, 06:05:21 PM
by Corley5
xx
Cellulosic ethanol plant in Michiganís Upper Peninsula

Started by Jeff on Alternative methods and solutions

20 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 12:52:19 PM
by sharp edge
xx
Upper Peninsula Firefighters Tournament

Started by chet on General Board

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2003, 09:09:25 PM
by CHARLIE
xx
Whatzit? Upper Peninsula Fungi

Started by Jeff on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

11 Replies
Last post November 20, 2004, 10:42:36 AM
by SwampDonkey