iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

city cypress

Started by caveman, September 15, 2019, 09:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I guess it must have been the tractor, then ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

My tractor does the same thing with a big rock. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

Quote from: Andries on September 15, 2019, 09:54:59 PM
Really nice haul!
Will the logs in the pond sink, and if they are floating for a while, what protects them from the bugs?
Some of these logs are beginning to sink and others are riding low in the water.  They still had quite a bit of moisture (several began sprouting green shoots). I would rather them sink and us have to expend the effort to identify them and extract them as long as they keep.

Years ago when cypress cutting was big along the rivers, a crew would often go out about a year before the felling crews would come through to girdle the trees so they could begin to dry out and they would be less likely to be lost (sunk) while floating them to the mill.

A year or so ago I posted an old video about the last cypress log train and Cummer and Son's Cypress.  Some of the now rotting old buttresses from the old cypress nearly 100 years ago can be seen on parts of Florida's Withlacoochee River.  Some of the toe board notches were still visible the last time I canoed there.
Caveman

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

caveman

We sawed a pretty good whack of city cypress today- a bunch of 2"x8", 2"x6", 1"x4" and a good bit of 1" jacket boards.  We got a cut list today that did not match up with what we bucked the logs.  We cut logs at 16', 10', and 8'.  Today, we were surprised to get orders for 23', 20' and a few other odd length items.  I think they will need to cut some more trees.  I do not know how to turn a 16' log into a 23' log.  The first WM turbo 7 did not perform well so we swapped it for another and it did much better. 

I am anxiously awaiting some Kasco 7°, 1 1/2" bands.  Hopefully they will saw this longleaf we have without deflecting.  They will get a workout on some utility poles too.
Caveman

tule peak timber

I have never met a utility pole that I liked...... :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

caveman

The Kasco 7° are performing well on the longleaf pine.  This afternoon I even used the one that was on the mill to slab a cypress log or two.  

Most of the second log was pecky and one of the slabs had included bark that was the shape of a fish hook.  It should make a really nice bar top.  Those pictured are 10.5' long and 18-23" wide.
  I need to figure out something to do with the cypress slabs off of this log.  The grain and color are spectacular.
 Some of the longleaf pine we have recently sawed for John's uncle.  He will be making joists, floors and covering a wall.  We sawed 2x10's, 1x6's and 1x8's.  Some of the pine boards we sawed yesterday were 16' long without a single knot.
Caveman

WDH

Beautifully sawn and stacked lumber.  You sure do know how to treat lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

I see some very nice wall panel....... :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

caveman

Thank you for the kind words, men.  John and I decided that we need to build some more stacking racks before we saw too much more.   
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!