iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Downed Trees

Started by High_Water, September 21, 2020, 02:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High_Water

So I'm trying to get the word out for people to stop immediately cutting good trees up into firewood lengths and sending them to the landfill in the hurricane affected areas (in which I am located). I know people with serious damage have enough other things to worry about, but I still think it would benefit all parties to slow down and not scrap all the logs. The volunteer groups put everything on the curb, but it would save them time and energy to just leave the whole log on the ground and let a sawyer come behind and collect them. I know it won't work in every scenario but it's just a thought. I've managed to help a handful of people get downed trees out of their way but I'm running out of friends and friends of friends with downed trees. Is anybody else down in that area out volunteering or have any contacts in the area that may be willing to cooperate with people running mills?

two tired

I know what you're talking about. There's way to much timber down around me to  even worry about the short logs. Across the river there plenty of logs to go around. I  am turning logs down, there's not enough hours of daylight to saw them up so i guess I will dump a lot in my pond.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Seachaser

@two tired 
Interested in the "dumping in pond" comment. 
Is it beneficial or just a place to dump wood?
I have a pond and occasional big trees go down. No one around here is interested in logs and disposal of the big stuff is problematic.  I burn and split most, but the big stuff is hard to handle except by a tractor.  

caveman

We store logs in our pond when we do not have an immediate need for the wood.  It is a pain to get them out, but they saw nice and make good lumber.  It is a good method to keep the bugs from ruining good logs.  During the dry season, the pond will go down quite a bit and it is easier for us to find what we are looking for and easier to get them out.
Caveman

scsmith42

One problem with a lot of hurricane downed trees is that they are full of wind shake - rendering them useless for lumber.

It's only the trees fully uprooted that may make a good candidate for milling.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!