iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apple Cider

Started by Raider Bill, November 23, 2020, 04:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Anyone know of a apple cider shortage this year?
I've looked everywhere for some but nobody has any.
Need it for my turkey brine.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doc henderson

we got some a few weeks back.  have not tried to find it now.  ammunition and toilet paper hard to find as well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

A-z farmer

Raider bill 
You have to come north to find cider apples grow good here in the north .

Raider Bill

Quote from: A-z farmer on November 23, 2020, 06:17:06 PM
Raider bill
You have to come north to find cider apples grow good here in the north .
I'm originally from about 180 miles north west of you but that weather isn't worth a couple gallons of cider. ;) ;) :D

GF went looking again yesterday for some. Nada anywhere. Going to use apple juice in my brine for the first time. We'll see how that works.

Is there a apple cider shortage I missed?

21incher

No shortage where I live.  Actually they had a good harvest and apples are cheap this year.  I have about 30 gallons hardened to 14% aging  in my root cellar for emergencies. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

It's in the stores here, some actually on sale this week for half price at one store.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

DanGit.

I look forward to fry cakes and cider every thanksgiving time. Guess not this year.

K-Guy

Quote from: doc henderson on November 23, 2020, 04:38:23 PMammunition and toilet paper hard to find as well.

Too many people are shooting the .... breeze( That's it) ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

In light of the toilet paper shortage I was explaining to a nice Lady the other night at the bar how to conserve by only using 1 sheet at a time.
She seemed squeamish. :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Tacotodd

You guys ain't right! You ain't wrong 😑 but you ain't right!😱
Trying harder everyday.

K-Guy

Quote from: Tacotodd on November 25, 2020, 10:49:09 AMYou guys ain't right! You ain't wrong 😑 but you ain't right!😱
Ya might be right but we're having fun!! laugh_at  smiley_turkey_dancing

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Roxie

I'm afraid to follow that link, Raider. 

My Amish neighbor and I make an annual pilgrimage to the community cider press every year. In exchange for the use of the van to haul the apples and wait while they press, my payment is two gallons of cider. This year the apples and the resulting cider were exceptional, and the yellow jackets were also more abundant. Driving with all those bees in the car is not for the faint of heart. 

Say when

Raider Bill

Quote from: Roxie on November 25, 2020, 12:35:49 PM
I'm afraid to follow that link, Raider.

My Amish neighbor and I make an annual pilgrimage to the community cider press every year. In exchange for the use of the van to haul the apples and wait while they press, my payment is two gallons of cider. This year the apples and the resulting cider were exceptional, and the yellow jackets were also more abundant. Driving with all those bees in the car is not for the faint of heart.
Don't be scared :D ;D
It's too late now we used Motts apple juice in the brine. I'll let you know how it works.
Growing up there were apples every where around us. Here It's oranges, well until the citrus greening killed them all off.
Another thing that is nonexistent this year is snow birds. Haven't seen any yet, usually they have started migrating down by now.

A-z farmer

Raider Bill
Now days when apples hit the ground they cannot be used even for cider.This is across the road from my house and did not get picked before they fell to the ground now they are deer and mouse food.

Raider Bill

Well the bird came out great using Motts apple juice instead of cider.

Another thing we couldn't find this year is brown and serve rolls. Weird.

SwampDonkey

A lot less orchards around here than years ago. And every old original homestead had an orchard around here. We had one here, and it had the famed 'New Brunswicker' variety by Mr. Sharp. I tried to find new ones, but the new ones we got were not the old variety at all. I think it's like trying to get a 'Cortland',  our 'Cortland' from local orchards are sure different than the Nova Scotia ones in the store. The local ones are juicier and sweeter.

Kwill

I bought a gallon at Walmart. I soak my deer meat in it. Gets rid of the wang.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Roxie

Speaking of shortages, @WDH it's looking bad for my traditional pecan ball cookies and pecan pie this year. They were available thus far, but the price is a deal breaker at $7 for a half pound.  :'(

Guess the storms in Georgia really hurt the trees.
Say when

WDH

Actually, it is a bumper crop this year.  However, the nuts are just now being harvested, so there should be some relief soon. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

They've been $12/lb here for last 2 years. But they was just as high in Maine (factor in exchange rate) before COVID. Walnuts was always cheaper in Maine. If you shop off Walmart US (Houlton, Me) website pecans are US $16 a pound. Cheaper than that over here in Costco CDN $11.50/pound. Kirkland brand both places.

Roxie

That was the Walmart price for Blue Diamond brand. 

:o
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!