iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

advice for first saw

Started by hemlockrecords, November 24, 2020, 06:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemlockrecords

hey y'all!

i'm looking to buy my first saw and would very much appreciate some advice. i've narrowed it down to between the stihl ms 362 and husqvarna 365, though i'm definitely open to other suggestions.

this will be just my third winter working in the woods. the place i used to work we ran dolmars (421, 5105, 6400). this winter i'll be on my own doing mostly freelance: clearing land, thinning woodlots, putting up firewood for friends. i was supposed to join a small logging operation this winter, but it didn't pan out. would like to get into this eventually.

i know the ms 362 and the husky 365 aren't comparable in terms of power/size but this is what i'm thinking: i'm leaning towards getting a husky because loggers and woodspeople i've talked to in the area prefer husky for pro saws BUT i'm pretty set on getting a saw with an inboard clutch. the smallest husky with an inboard clutch seems to be the 365. the 60cc class is probably best for me right now, but i'm wondering if it's worth it to get a slightly bigger husky. i think the ideal saw for me would be the husky 562xp IF it had an inboard clutch. alas. otherwise the ms 362 seems like a solid saw.

i'd love to hear people's experiences of these or similiar saws, especially in terms of long term reliability and durability. i'm trying to get a saw that i'll have (and enjoy) for a long time. i've heard different things about husky vs stihl (not trying to restart the husky vs stihl war lol i just like hearing people's opinions).

thanks for reading and for offering any guidance! i've already learned so much just reading through this forum; y'all seem like a real knowledgable and generous community so i thought i'd sign up and ask for help!

hemlockrecords

should also mention that so far my dealer experiences have been better with husqvarna.

lxskllr

Welcome! I pretty much just run Stihl and echo, but of your two choices, I'd go with the Husky. 70cc seems like a good spot for pro logging. I think you might find the 362 is a little underpowered for some of the larger trees. You might also want to pair it with a smaller/cheaper saw for limbing/small stuff. Kinda sucks carrying the weight for little work.

edit:
When I mention tree size, I guess I'm thinking of the trees we have here in the mid Atlantic. If you're in the far north with fairly small trees, a 60cc class saw might be fine. Where are you, and what are you cutting?

hemlockrecords

i'm in the northeast. so nothing too huge. i'll be cutting mostly hardwood, but some softwood as well. i'm not doing pro logging yet, that would be further down the line, and at that point i'd consider a second/bigger saw.

for now i'm only going to have one saw (mostly cus $$), so i want something fairly versatile. that's also why i want an inboard clutch, so if the bar gets pinched i can take off the powerhead and put on a spare bar and chain (not that this happens to me a lot... but you know... just in case ;)).

realzed

Depending on the type and size of trees you will be playing with and to 'future-proof' yourself - it sounds to me that a 462 along with a couple of different bar lengths would pretty much cover all of your needs very well! 
Reasonably light weight, powerful for large wood, very reliable and durable, and easily maintained, all pop to mind - for someone needing a good professional saw in the woods on a daily basis! 

Southside

Having a knowledgeable dealer who can repair / service a saw and will stand behind the product is a major part of the decision, it's why I switched to Husky a while back.  

Husky brought back the 372XP for the third time recently - there is a reason why.  Very proven, capable saw.  Might be more than you need right now, but they are a true workhorse.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tacotodd

My choice between the 2: 365. Why? Extremely versatile, parts EVERYWHERE, and proven reputation. That's why I got a 372 new in 2018.

AND the 365 is very easy to upgrade very easily and in expensively to become a 372! Not to mention, that for a stocker, a very fair amount of power!
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

Yea - but you can port a 372 and whoop a stock 390!!  :D  It's a rabbit hole that never ends.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Well, I haven't actually run a Stihl 362, but they have a solid reputation around here. I have its smaller brother, the 261cm and it has been flawless for me. First off I should say, I am a pro logger but not a pro chainsaw user. Confused?😁 I run a forwarder, I don't need to use a saw very much at work. But I also have a sawmill and small firewood operation. So my saws get used, but not like day in day out logging. Anyhow, this is the first Stihl I've ever owned, I've been very impressed with it. The power is down pretty low for a saw of that size, makes it less tiring to run IMO. The air filtration is very good, in fact I don't know if I've ever cleaned the filter😮😂 My newest addition is a Husky 562xp, I haven't put a lot of hours on it, but I'm very impressed with the power and the way it handles. It feels way lighter than my Jonsered 2171, but has nearly as much power. I understand wanting to stay with an inboard clutch for the reasons you stated, but I'd hate to have that decide my saw for me.
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

The inboard clutch makes it quick and easy to change the rim but other than that I don't see a big advantage. If I were buying a saw for production I would go Stihl simply because I have a local dealer who knows saws and supports what he sells. The nearest Husky dealers are 20 miles away and both leave something to be desired, I have dealt with them as a customer and supplier. The 365 is a fine saw but for the difference in price why not step up to the 372XP? It is a workhorse!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tacotodd

Hemlockrecords, listen to sawguy21, he speaks the truth.
Trying harder everyday.

Guydreads

I would go with the Husky. If you're gonna be felling larger trees, and general work you're gonna be happier with the Husky I think. For me, you can never really have to big of a saw. You could consider a shorter bar to lower the weight if you want.

sawguy21

Pack my McCulloch 797 all day and you'll find out what too much saw is. ;D There is no point putting a short bar on a big saw except ffor specialized applications if you can't use the power and weight is a killer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!