iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log gate structure

Started by firedog, March 31, 2005, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedog

I am looking for some info on Building a log gate. Not the actual gate but the entrance with 12-14' uprights and about a 14' cross piece on top for a 12' opening.  I have seen soem pictures of this type of gate but nothing close up to see how they are secured. I am going to be using Redwood since my logger had to take out 5 of them to widen the road for logging my fir.

I have plenty of logs for the project and also for adding knee bracess to the gate for a nice look.

Thanks for any info.

Tom

There's probably a lot of valid ways of sticking it together.  Most I've seen around here are Half-Lapped and bolted. 

Just make sure that you don't box yourself in.  The height limitations of most roads is 16'.

Think of width too.  I hate to try to get into a 10' gate with my truck and sawmill.  A 12' gate is better but still might cause some consternation if it is too close to the road.   A 16', or better, makes my day.

Ron Scott

If you have any timber to be harvested behind the gate, make it wide enough to get a semi through or it will have to be removed later.  ;)
~Ron

firedog

I think the half lap is what I have seen pictured.  I had a gate that was old Cedar posts that were about 10' high at the cross bar. It was only a 10' wide gate also. This is across my driveway to my property and they are in the process of logging right now so the gate won't be put up till after all those operations are over.  I am thinking for what I do 12' wide by 12' high should do.

One other question, Should I peel the logs or can I leave the bark on them? I would prefer to leave the bark on them because that Coastal Redwood bark looks good in my opinion.

beetle

A through mortise and tenon would sure look nice up there, even extend the tenon out 8" to 10" past the posts with a wedge would look great!
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Jim Haslip

Re: Beetle's answer

And easy enough to do... lay the log on horses. mark a plumb and level line on each end. snap lines from top of log to bottom of log  for each face and begin your layout... working off centre lines like this can be quite challanging, but very rewarding as well... through mortise and tenon the cross piece  into "flattened" faces (shoulders) on the uprights. use wedges behind the posts (uprights) to tighten the joints as they will shrink over time... or peg them... not critical as there is no load hanging off it... and layout brace similarly... would be a fun way to spend some time... Good luck with your project... :) ... post some pics here when you are finished...

firedog

Thanks for the ideas. When they get done hauling logs out and the driveway repaired I will get the gate built.  Looking forward to it since the Redwoods I am using were planted by my Grandfather years ago. I hoped to be able to save them but the road had to be widened nd moved a bit so the trucks could make the turn onto the road. So next best thing is to use them on the property.

Smakman

I am also in the process of putting up such a gateway with ERC.  I have built a sign in the past using the same stuff.  What I reckon on doing is notching the top log to cap the uprights, then using long lag bolts straight down though the top log into the top of the uprights.  It looks pretty good on the sign hanger.
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

Thank You Sponsors!