The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Ticks ticks ticks  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Kim_Ked

• Id Rather Be Logging!
    • Share Post
Re: Ticks ticks ticks
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 06:06:22 AM »
They are bad bad bad right now in N.S. This was on the south mountain almost into the Annapolis Valley.
I went to look at clearing, excavating, a lot for a buddy yesterday afternoon. It wasn't dense woods or anything. Before I got back in my truck I stood and picked at least half a dozen off my shirt and my bare belly/back and on my jeans. Another one on my leg on the way home. Got home and stripped off to find several more in my cloths and one bit in my neck. A few hours later, my belly button was itching, sure enough, I had one latched in there so hard I had to get the wife to extract it. I'm used to ticks, but wow, that was excessive!  I think Ill stay in the excavator on that job. He can do the cutting....
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 06:27:52 AM »
They are bad bad bad right now in N.S. This was on the south mountain almost into the Annapolis Valley.
I went to look at clearing, excavating, a lot for a buddy yesterday afternoon. It wasn't dense woods or anything. Before I got back in my truck I stood and picked at least half a dozen off my shirt and my bare belly/back and on my jeans. Another one on my leg on the way home. Got home and stripped off to find several more in my cloths and one bit in my neck. A few hours later, my belly button was itching, sure enough, I had one latched in there so hard I had to get the wife to extract it. I'm used to ticks, but wow, that was excessive!  I think Ill stay in the excavator on that job. He can do the cutting....
They really are horrible around here right now, yesterday though I was basicallly swimming in brush piles and had none on me, todayís another day, gotta plant some seedlings today, will be getting all kinds probably 

ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.ď
Milton Friedman

Offline Kim_Ked

• Id Rather Be Logging!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 09:14:06 AM »
Nice.
Where did you get your seedlings? 
Iv been going into the woods and digging up smaller trees and moving them to my lot but I would like to get a few different types other than my local usual species. I was thinking of going out to the South Shore where Oak is abundant to get a few baby oak trees and bring home. 

Also, I like your profile picture. Ill post a pic of my 79 here in a bit.
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »
Nice.
Iv been going into the woods and digging up smaller trees and moving them to my lot but I would like to get a few different types other than my local usual species. I was thinking of going out to the South Shore where Oak is abundant to get a few baby oak trees and bring home.

Thanks! It was abandoned here in the early 90s, I was cleaning up junk people had dumped here over the years while it was mostly vacant and I decided I like that old abounded truck so I will leave it may even preserve it but slapping some thompsons water sealant on it  :D
I got my seedling from the DNR in luneneburg I believe it was 8 cents a seedling, if you want to find a lot of oak off the 103 between Lockport and Port joli there is that area with sharp corners etc, dexter construction has a quarry right there too, anyway that’s a whole oak Forrest, plenty of saplings in the ditch
ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.ď
Milton Friedman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 11:13:25 AM »
im eager to go trample around in the tick locker and flag all the little dogwoods that are in full show right now so that i dont accidentally squish them later.  this has me wanting to hose my stuff down in permethrin again and i think ive gotten to the bottom of the concentration conflicts.  

it is this EPA document that limits products sold as RESIDENTIAL USE to .5% concentrations.  so that explains why all the sprays you put on your stuff at home are half percent. 

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-109701_1-Jun-06.pdf

once you put it in a bottle that doesnt claim to fall under a residential use the half percent limit is off and you can get into 10% sprays for horses or up to 36.8% concentrates for broadcast spraying or perimeter spraying around the home for termites, spiders, bees etc etc.  beware its lethal to cats. and dont eat it or spray your face.  that should save you a lot of label reading.  

half way down this page gets into a really handy chart on mixing ratios for application rates to treat various problems. 

Permethrin 10% for Animal Use - Drugs.com
Isaiah 63:10

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 11:32:39 AM »
Hello lil fella :D

Milton Friedman

Offline Kim_Ked

• Id Rather Be Logging!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 11:34:57 AM »
Nice.

Thanks! It was abandoned here in the early 90s, I was cleaning up junk people had dumped here over the years while it was mostly vacant and I decided I like that old abounded truck so I will leave it may even preserve it but slapping some thompsons water sealant on it  :D
I got my seedling from the DNR in luneneburg I believe it was 8 cents a seedling, if you want to find a lot of oak off the 103 between Lockport and Port joli there is that area with sharp corners etc, dexter construction has a quarry right there too, anyway thatís a whole oak Forrest, plenty of saplings in the ditch
That's a sweet price for seedlings man..
I actually have at very minimum 30 to 40 acres of very old hand cleared fields. They have been in my wife's family for many generations. Currently, the only thing that happens on them is ATVing, and I let a guy come every year and cut the hay for nothing just to keep the fields up. I'm always pondering things I could do with them but I really don't know much at all about growing anything. I'v thought about the possibility of doing maybe one field as just a tree plantation. It would be something decent for the future. I know a guy that did this with pine trees, but they are too close together and its a bit of a mess. 
I'm going to give DNR a call to see if there are still trees available.
Way of tick topic here but, you know how it goes...............

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
NOT MY BLOOD

NOT MY BLOOD

NOT MY BLOOD
Milton Friedman

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 12:02:45 PM »
im eager to go trample around in the tick locker and flag all the little dogwoods that are in full show right now so that i dont accidentally squish them later.  this has me wanting to hose my stuff down in permethrin again and i think ive gotten to the bottom of the concentration conflicts.  

it is this EPA document that limits products sold as RESIDENTIAL USE to .5% concentrations.  so that explains why all the sprays you put on your stuff at home are half percent.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-109701_1-Jun-06.pdf

once you put it in a bottle that doesnt claim to fall under a residential use the half percent limit is off and you can get into 10% sprays for horses or up to 36.8% concentrates for broadcast spraying or perimeter spraying around the home for termites, spiders, bees etc etc.  beware its lethal to cats. and dont eat it or spray your face.  that should save you a lot of label reading.  

half way down this page gets into a really handy chart on mixing ratios for application rates to treat various problems.

Permethrin 10% for Animal Use - Drugs.com
Ainít nothin like peace of mind. Soak that stuff with permethrin! 
I will take a look at that link tonight after work 
Milton Friedman

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
Nice.

I got my seedling from the DNR in luneneburg I believe it was 8 cents a seedling, if you want to find a lot of oak off the 103 between Lockport and Port joli there is that area with sharp corners etc, dexter construction has a quarry right there too, anyway thatís a whole oak Forrest, plenty of saplings in the ditch
That's a sweet price for seedlings man..
I actually have at very minimum 30 to 40 acres of very old hand cleared fields. They have been in my wife's family for many generations. Currently, the only thing that happens on them is ATVing, and I let a guy come every year and cut the hay for nothing just to keep the fields up. I'm always pondering things I could do with them but I really don't know much at all about growing anything. I'v thought about the possibility of doing maybe one field as just a tree plantation. It would be something decent for the future. I know a guy that did this with pine trees, but they are too close together and its a bit of a mess.
I'm going to give DNR a call to see if there are still trees available.
Way of tick topic here but, you know how it goes...............
I say do it! A old saying goes.... the best society is a society of which old men plant trees of which he will never set under the shade of....or something of that sorts  ;D even better if you arenít ďoldĒ yet and can watch em. No but seriously if you do it make it a big family day event and plant them together. Makes for fond memories, I find planting seedlings therapeutic, I donít rush planting them thatís for sure. The DNR folks were a pleasure to deal with and helpful, Iíd definitely talk to them.
Milton Friedman

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2021, 04:55:52 PM »
That ďatlantickĒ stuff must be working cause Iíve used it the last 2 days and have seen ticks everywhere but not on me or my clothes 8)
Milton Friedman

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2021, 08:07:59 PM »
I am rebuilding a strip of fence, first day I had a tick when getting home, so put some permethrin in my atv sprayer, along with 15 gallons of water, and sprayed about a 10' strip on the side of the fence I am working on, even had a shower of rain and still have not got another tick on me.  Asked the coop how this stuff works, they said it is a contact spray, so must have wiped out the tick population on that strip.  Sure they will be back. Thinking about spraying my shoes, socks and pant legs with that stuff, and letting it dry before wearing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2021, 06:17:59 PM »
Sawyer is a spray for clothing that has .5% permethrin. Once it dries youre good for like 6 or 7 washes.  But its fairly spendy compared to the livestock and horse sprays at the co-op or ag store that are up to 10% permethrin.  

Its not safe around cats btw.  
Once it dries onto your clothing, it won't harm cats In the liquid stage, it's extremely toxic to cats.
If you are spraying clothing, make sure you by the water-based stuff. The oil-based is nasty on your clothing.

This is what I use when spraying my own clothing:
Amazon.com : JT Eaton 209-W1G Kills Bedbugs, Ticks and Mosquitoes Water Based Spray with Sprayer Attachment, 1-Gallon : Insect Repellents : Garden & Outdoor
It lasts through about 5 washes.

I also use a lot of factory-treated clothing, which lasts through about 70 washes. I've had really good luck with that stuff, and it's nice not having to think about "when was the last time I sprayed this stuff. Try Insect Shield for clothing (they regularly have sales with 20% discounts. Occasionally have some items on 30% discount.) Stay away from their socks - they wear out too quickly. Someone on here pointed me to Farm-to-Feet No Fly Zone Socks, which I've been very happy with.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2021, 01:48:03 AM »
Itís been 3 days since Iíve seen a tick on me and itís not for lack ticks because Iíve been seeing them everywhere on my jerry cans, took handles, tires etc, I think that atlantick stuff is working, it stinks horribly so I donít blame the ticks  :D :D
Will continue using and see what happens, itís natural stuff so you can lather it on your skin without worry, I also spray my chainsaw leggings and boots heavy.
Milton Friedman

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2021, 07:52:05 AM »
Itís been 3 days since Iíve seen a tick on me and itís not for lack ticks because Iíve been seeing them everywhere on my jerry cans, took handles, tires etc, I think that atlantick stuff is working, it stinks horribly so I donít blame the ticks  :D :D
Will continue using and see what happens, itís natural stuff so you can lather it on your skin without worry, I also spray my chainsaw leggings and boots heavy.
I'm glad you found something that works for you. I've tried a few all natural repellents in the past. I found some of them worked, some of them didn't seem to do much. For the ones that worked, I never found one that would last through an 8 hour day. Some of them only lasted 2 or 3 hours, then I had to reapply. (I'm mostly judging by when the mosquitos would start biting again, but it did seem similar for ticks as well.)
How long are you finding the Atlantick stuff is working for you?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2021, 08:14:32 AM »
Iím can still strongly smell it after 5-6 hours of applying, i just give my pant legs a couple squirts after lunch and head out, seems to be working. Most of the ticks I get climb up my boots to my waist line and thatís where they usually get in if my shirt has come untucked 
Milton Friedman

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2021, 10:36:10 AM »
Iím can still strongly smell it after 5-6 hours of applying, i just give my pant legs a couple squirts after lunch and head out, seems to be working. Most of the ticks I get climb up my boots to my waist line and thatís where they usually get in if my shirt has come untucked
I was finding the same thing: I was regularly finding multiple ticks that had crawled up my pants just about every time I was out in the woods. About 6 or 7 years ago, I tried spraying the pants & T shirts I used in the woods with permethrin. I found if I was wearing and washing them once a week, I could easily go a month or more without respraying them, and I rarely found ticks on me (if I did, it was more likely on my bare arms).
I switched to wearing the factory pretreated T-shirts and pants when working in the woods, so I don't have to keep track of when something was last sprayed. I've had equally good results from that. Unless it's really hot out, I've started wearing long sleeved T-shirts.
I've had too many friends and relatives who have had serious complications from Lyme, Anaplasmosis, and other tick-borne diseases to take chances.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2021, 05:56:22 AM »
So id used up the sawyer permethrin and its $9.97 for 12oz at walmart.com.   83 cents an ounce. Half percent permethrin, scent free.

I bought this for the new dog, 1quart for a bit under $7.   22 cents an ounce or about 1/4th the price of sawyer.  Tenth percent permethrin plus some other stuff. Bit of citronella scent.  Direct application on dogs and horses.

Few days ago i hosed a pair of muck boots and pants with the last of the sawyer from the knees down before running out.  I was precisely 1.1 miles into dense deer woods around a 200 acre hayfield for most of a day bushwacking.

Untreated shirt, socks and drawers.  Had nothing really bothering me while in the woods.  Found 5 ticks by bedtime, no seedticks and maybe 1 or two chigger bites.  Pretty good considering without treatment it probably woulda been 10 grown ticks, 100 seed ticks and 30 to 50 chigger bites, these woods are unbearable.  A summer hell.

Well i hosed me and boy's pants fully with the horse spray then let dry on the clothesline.  we spent the day in the same spot, just treated pants.  Neither of us had any ticks at all during or after.  No flies or skeeters either.  Deer would smell it from a mile but thats not a concern for now.  Never thought it could be this good.

Dont get it on you or put it on damp.  I know sawyer didnt get a fair performance evaluation but its a lot more $ and higher permethrin toxicity than needed apparently.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2021, 06:04:02 AM »
 Good to hear itís working mike. I havenít a tick on my skin since I started using the atlantick stuff, I seriously had my doubts but it seems good. I actually watched one climb up my pant leg a bit and then just let go and fall onto the ground. Minefield of stinky lemon grass for them  :D
Milton Friedman

Offline HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2021, 06:04:55 AM »
I put that stuff all over my skin after a shower and I got the most painful burning all over my body, would not recommend doing that
Milton Friedman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Ticks

Started by JohnG28 on General Board

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2014, 08:23:18 AM
by JohnG28
xx
ticks

Started by coxy on General Board

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2017, 01:48:58 PM
by coxy