iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PA Lumber Museum

Started by thedeeredude, April 15, 2005, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Any other noreasters ever been to the Bark Peeler's Convention at the PA Lumber Museum in Galeton?  For those who were never there, GO!  It is a great show and they got everything, horse logging demos, tree felling, steam powered sawmill cutting hemlock, woodhick competitions, good food :D, and the museum itself is an awesome place to see. 

http://www.lumbermuseum.org/

Polecat

Yo, Deeredude.....I'm up that way perty often. Got some propurty near Roulette. I may be near there tomorrow....opening day fur trout ya know.  Is there any purticular dates when there's "goings on" at the museum??? I'm looking foreward to my annual leek dinner somewhere up there too.
    Hey, I finally got up enough gumption to post here. It's my first....

Ron Wenrich

I went to a party up at Roulette the other year over the 4th.  You probably saw the fireworks.   :D

Barkpeeler's convention is July 2 & 3. 

A pretty good show.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Welcome der Polecat. Your first post? Are you from da U.P.? You have da accent.... ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks for the museum link deeredude !  Hey hows it going at your new job at the mill or maybe you havent started yet ?   smiley_swinging_board
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

thedeeredude

Unclebuck,
   Nope, didn't start yet at the mill. Hopefully within a week or two.  The museum is a cool place and if you're ever in the area of Potter County, PA, you got to stop by.  I think they're open seven days a week.

ohsoloco

For the past few years I've been saying that I'm going to the Barkpeeler's convention, but I haven't made it up there yet  :-\  I finally made it to the Woodsman's Carnival at Cherry Springs last year.  That was a good time  :)

thedeeredude

I've never been to the Cherry Spring's Woodsman's Fest.  When is it and what do they have there?  You gotta, just gotta get to the Barkpeeler's convention this year.

thedeeredude

ohsoloco,
  I see your signature under the flag there.  We do have the best hardwoods here 8)  The best cherry from the north, the best walnut from the southeast the best oaks in the Appalachian region, the best pine and hemlock in the central region, the best poplar all over, what can I say, were just the best :D

Ron Wenrich

You should see what we saw!   :D

smwwoody

I just moved out of elk county a few weeks ago and I do miss all that nice Red oak and Cherry.  But one nice pluss the White oak here is real nice.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

thedeeredude

Ron,
   Funny choice of words, but I did see what you saw.  And there was some curly boards of Red Oak sitting on one of your carts, too.  And the piles and piles and piles of logs :o  That saw you guys have is quite the setup ;)

Polecat

Thanks for the welcome Jeff....I'm not from the U.P. Born and raised in Western Pa.
  I have family in Mich. but they're "trolls" (below the Mackinac)   
    Anyone with dates of lumber stuff that goes on in this "neck of the woods" would be appreciated.

ohsoloco

deeredude, the woodsman's carnival at Cherry Springs (I'm pretty sure) is in August.  Even so it was DanG near freezing the night we stayed at camp...that Franklin stove felt real nice  :)  The carnival is basically like those Stihl timbersport competitions they run on ESPN once in a while.  Luckily I was there on the day they did the springboard, that's one of my favorites.  Besides that they have vendors selling various things like at an arts/crafts fair.   Can't remember what company it was, but someone had a small manual sawmill set up on display.  When it started raining I grabbed a buffalo burger and headed for the truck until it let up  ;D

I really want to make it to the Barkpeeler's convention.  From what I've read about the lumber museum it sounds fantastic. 

And yes, are hardwoods certainly are da bomb  :D  I love cutting white pine too  8)

Ron Wenrich

54th annual Woodsman show at Cherry Springs, PA  Aug, 5, 6 & 7

http://www.woodsmenshow.com/

31st Annual Barkpeelers Convention at Galeton, PA  Jul 2 & 3

http://www.lumbermuseum.org/bark.html

Timber 2005 at Rocksprings, PA  Jun 17 & 18

http://patimbershow.cas.psu.edu/

Thank You Sponsors!