The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Ford 540 vs 445... Now 545 D  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Roundhouse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Ford 540 vs 445... Now 545 D
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2021, 09:04:07 PM »
Make sure to leave enough "slop" around the bars so you can wiggle-walk the forks to adjust them, remove them. The mount bars on mine are farther apart and it can still be a workout to move them over, I imagine having the mounting hooks closer together would result in shorter -hops-.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2021, 01:32:51 AM »
No tubes of soggy, old rods for that project

Funny you mention that.  I know real welders have those hot boxes (reversed refrigerators) to keep their rods dry.  I've never done that.  I buy stuff off CL in 50lb boxes that I have around for years.  Works great for me.  But, I will have to get some thicker rod for this.
Make sure to leave enough "slop" around the bars so you can wiggle-walk the forks to adjust them, remove them.
Like I said, a quick rendering.  There will likely be 1/4" of clearance.  On my SkyTrak, the forks have a tube on the top and hang on a round bar.  A real pain to slide them - until I put grease on the bar.  When I keep it lubed, the forks move with ease.

Here it is with a mounting plate, the extra 1" spacers removed.  Also moved the lower bar up 1/4" to provide a wiggle-gap ;)

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2021, 03:33:12 AM »
Log and lumber forks on wheel loaders are generally built with vertical adjustment so the forks can adapt to the less than level conditions in the field versus fixed pallet forks. Fixed forks will plow a furrow and impale logs: floating forks follow the contour of the ground and can "thread" between logs when unloading a truck.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
Yeah, floating forks would be nice.  But, also bad at times when tipping down to separate logs.  The biggest thing right now with my tractor is I keep reaching for the side tilt lever I have in the SkyTrak :D  That is really handy for using the forks on uneven ground.  

Maybe I'll just use a 1/2" bar for the lower "keeper" rail.  That will allow a fork to swing forward to allow the front of one fork to rise up at least an inch or two relative to the other fork.  It would also make it easier to slide the forks into pallets with the ability to adjust automatically.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2021, 09:02:06 PM »
I think I've talked myself out of building the fork hanger.  I called around today.  I would go with a 1/2" QA plate for $160.  The bars to hang the forks I would fab up from some 1"x3" bar.  Two sandwiched up for the 2" thick top hanger, sitting about 1" proud of the top of the QA plate for the top hook to clear.  The bottom "keeper" bar would again be two pieces of bar but offset to make a 1" lip on the bottom.  Stock comes in 20' lengths so I would cut it up into four 4.5' lengths or so.  Need a few spacer for the bottom bar.  I'm used to the 6' width on my SkyTrak for handling beams - nice and stable.  Anyhow, that stock is $213. :-X  So I'm up to $373 + tax (and shipping on the QA plate?).  Then I need some more stout steel for the headache rack - probably another $75 or so.  Then $40-50 in rods to burn (I haven't shopped for rod for quite a few years).  Then paint...  So close to $500 now, probably more.  Plus my time. ::)

I called Quick Attach (yeah, there is a company called that) and they want $985 for the "hanger" :(  Hmm, maybe I should make my own. 

Then I looked online at Titan (were I got the QA adapter for my tractor) and they have a heavy duty hanger/rack for $549 with free shipping and 0% financing. :laugh:  Powder coated finish.  I tried to call them to verify the bar spacing would work with my forks but was on hold for a while before I had to go somewhere.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Looks heavy enough that I could mount some grapple claws on it.  I have the rams, teeth (new, HD ripper shanks) and some steel.
John Sawicky

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2021, 06:52:17 PM »
Well, did some research.  My "new" forks are non-standard.  :( Should have done my research before going shopping.  The space between the upper and lower bars/hanger brackets have standard sizes of 16", 20", 25" and 29".  They match up to Class 2, 3, 4 and 5, respectively.  Each having, typically, a heavier lift rating.  My forks are 6" wide x 2" thick that puts them in the Class 4 or 5 but not with the hanger brackets I have that are spaced at 8.25".  So, if I want to use these, I'll have to make my own hanger.  I'll have to think on that one a bit.  I could do it, but if I needed to get new forks at some point, I probably wouldn't be able to find any to fit my hanger. :-\
John Sawicky

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2021, 01:44:11 PM »
OK, back to the bucket.  I want to try to keep the plate (and the pivot points) as close to the bucket as possible. 

Here it the Quick Tach adapter (red) with the blank plate (raw steel) attached.  Note how the adapter (red) is hanging below the blank plate.  Roughly 6", the angle/perspective make it look smaller.  The tops are even.

Made up a story board to show that relationship.

Here is the bucket, open face flat down and the story board of where I think the blank plate needs to go.

The left end of the board (next to the X) is the low hanging QA adapter.  I can't have the QA hanging down below the bottom of the bucket.  Looks like the top of the blank plate will be sticking up a bit - need to fill with some plate.  And probably a length of plate running along the top between the QA plate and the back of the bucket.

Time to break out the torch to do a little trimming...

John Sawicky

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »
Taking a break for a late lunch.  I tacked on some straps to hopefully keep the spacing right.

Cut it all loose and whacked it a few times to break it free.

Apparently, this weld wasn't doing much.

Cleaned it up.  Kept touching it up until I got good contact all the way around.

My QA adapter has two plates connected by a bar so I don't think I need to fill this gap on the bottom - only where the plates are located at each end.

I plan to leave the middle open so dirt and water can wash through.

I plan on closing up the top completely for strength and to keep junk out from behind the bucket.

John Sawicky

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
One thing I will say is gusset/reinforce that top lip on the skid steer plate. I've broken the top lip off every attachment I have that isn't reinforced. So I've went thru and beefed them all up now.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2021, 01:22:22 AM »
Well I thought I had a picture of the bucket finished up but I can't find it.  Right now it is upside down - I cut off the cutting edge that was worn down to nub.  The new cutting edge was supposed to get here last Friday but hasn't shown up yet.  I'll get a picture of that once the new edge is installed.

I did finish up the quick tach attachment and took it up to mount on the tractor today.  It was powder coated in red so I decided to just paint my existing mounts I cut from the bucket (above) red to match.

I'll probably end up painting it either yellow to match the tractor or black to match the bucket and future attachments (grapple).

I know, that weld looks like chicken poop.  I laid a real nice first bead.  Then I went back and laid two more, side by side but they didn't flow in the middle.  So I tried to lay a fourth to tie it all together and make it pretty.  I think I went too fast and it didn't flow well.  Anyhow, there should be plenty there to hold as there are beads on both sides of the 5/16" plate on each of the four ears.

John Sawicky

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:51 AM »
@chevytaHOE5674  have you ever messed with swapping injector pumps from different engines that are in these tractors?
What do the numbers on the side of the pump designate?
I know physically they will bolt on and have changed out pumps in the past on other fords.
Also do you know how many pounds of compression these little 3 cylinders are supposed to have?
Ive got a project in mind.
You want to see buddy at metro fuel injection in agawam.  The shop is easy to miss so aerial map it.  Hopefully buddy is still there. 

Isaiah 63:10

Offline newoodguy78

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
Is he the heavy set guy that works there? Metro is where I send all our pumps , excellent folks to deal with recommend them to anyone needing work done.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2021, 05:35:47 PM »
We had a false start to winter back in October with about 6" of snow.  I packed in my mill and put everything to bed til spring.  Then it melted.  So I did my QA swap.  I have my bucket still down the hill waiting for the new cutting edge.  According to the FedEx tracking, it has been sitting in Sacramento (10 miles from me) for the last 8 days but the folks on the phone don't really know where it is.  I'd go pick it up if they knew where it was.  Anyhow, moot point now.  Snow is dumping on my property so I can't take it back up there now until it melts off sometime in the late spring/early summer.  That's assuming we don't have a freak hot spell.  Not likely as December snow usually sticks around.  Supposed to get 6 feet by Thursday night.
John Sawicky

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2021, 07:15:42 PM »
Well, the cutting edge arrived today.  It got lost in the Sacramento FedEx depot for 10 days.  Nice chunk of metal - 5/8" thick x 6" x 84".  Shipping weight said 79 pounds!  

Did a little clean up grinding and fitting but was too late to start welding on it today.  Should finish it up tomorrow.

So, what say all of you?  Should I lay some hard face on the bottom of it?  A little on the front edge?  I see lots of examples on various buckets and blades at construction sites.  What kind of pattern should be on a cutting edge like this?  I have 7 or 8 pounds of 1/8" hard face rod just sitting there. ;D

I also went out and got a stick of 1" x 3" x 20' plate (as they call it - looked more like a bar to me) to sandwich up to make the top and bottom bars for the forklift attachment.  Will probably get something done on that tomorrow as well.

Another idea popped into my head this morning when I woke up early.  I was planning on adding grapple claws to the forklift attachment.  But, what about just adding the grapple claws to the QA on the tractor?  Couple benefits in doing that.  1) Would never have to disconnect/connect it.  2) They would be available to use with whatever attachment is mounted - be it the bucket or the forks or whatever I build in the future.  3) They would also act as a headache rack for the forks and bucket.  How about some cons?
John Sawicky

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2021, 12:36:30 PM »
Pondering more on the "permanent" installation of the grapple.  There is room on the outside/back of the QA plate where I can add a couple 2" receiver tubes for 2" receiver hitches.  Or I could go big and put in the 3" tubes for the 2" hitches.  I could just pin the grapple on there and leave it most of the time.  Then, if needed in a special case, it could very easily be removed.

I will add a snow plow in the not too distant future so that means being out in the cold.  So I'll have to add an enclosure for the cab.  And that will mean I'll need some heat.  Got this little 8kw beauty off of my favorite place, BidRL for $7.61.

Runs on diesel so I could plumb it to the main tank instead of mounting the supplied 15L tank.
John Sawicky

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2021, 01:22:14 PM »
Ive only seen him twice and it was a long time ago.. I think hes a big dude with a walrus mustache but i cant picture him anymore.  I talked to him on the phone a few years back so he was still there. Might be the owner i dunno.  

John hardface the mild steel on the heel.  Thats what will wear thin the fastest now that youve got a new hard edge. 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2021, 02:39:07 PM »
Diesel heater? I don't get out much, never heard of one. 
The enclosed cab will help out, even with no heat.
We kept a forklift at work, with an enclose cab, inside. It did have a heater, but most times I was not outside much more than a  hour at a time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2021, 09:04:09 PM »
I'd opt for the grapple on the bucket and not on the loader. Having the grapple always on would get in the way for a lot of things in my case. Heck I have 2 grapple buckets (a demo bucket and a hay grapple bucket). And hate using them unless I need the grapple as it seems the tongs are always digging into something or in the way. Ha.

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2021, 10:00:54 PM »
John hardface the mild steel on the heel. That's what will wear thin the fastest now that you've got a new hard edge.
Mike, are you saying the heel of the bucket or the heel of the cutting edge?  I've already laid a bunch of hardface on the worn skids at the rear of the bucket.

I called Titan about my cutting edge the day before it arrived.  FedEx hadn't scanned the tag in 9 days.  Titan considered it lost so set up another to ship to me.  Then FedEx found and delivered my original edge.  So I called Titan to have them cancel the replacement.  They said it just left :-\ and I should just keep it when it arrives ;D  So, if you look at the bucket in the last picture, you can see where the side panel is really worn and under cut at the new cutting edge.  I'm going to torch that off and replace with pieces cut from the extra cutting edge.  Be going up from 3/8" to 5/8" on that edge.
John Sawicky

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #179 on: December 19, 2021, 10:05:34 PM »
yeah the back heel of the bucket.  good deal on the extra edge. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Old track vehicle,model T ford,model A ford ,antique snowmobile meet

Started by chet on General Board

0 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 11:19:20 PM
by chet
xx
Old track vehicle,model T ford,model A ford ,antique snowmobile meet

Started by loggah on Shows, Events and Places to meet

12 Replies
Last post August 24, 2015, 07:55:27 PM
by coxy