iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advantages of owning hillside property

Started by Wlmedley, October 29, 2023, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Some advantages to hills...

Drainage is a minor problem.  Too much is the issue

Firewood and logs are best harvested using gravity assist.  That's especially helpful when you own the bottom of the hill.

Retrieving a deer is best if you own the bottom of the hill.

Snow sledding hills are easy to find. 

Staged correctly, logs are easier to roll downhill onto the sawmill loading arms.  

Gravity feed slab and lumber removal from the mill is easier to set up.  Don't have to "build" a hill.  

Basements with ground level access aren't hard to achieve if you position the house correctly in the hill!  

Somebody is always cutting a hill down, if you need fill dirt, it's easy to find nearby. 

There's always a hollow or gully to dispose of appropriate biodegradable stuff.  

On the other hand, I've lost firewood rounds to the indefatigable laws of gravity.  A two wheel drive tractor or truck offers certain challenges.   On occasion I've thought I was going to have a coronary pulling a deer up hill.  

Be prepared for an exciting ride if baling hay on a steep down slope.   The baler will push you.  Best not fight the ride but maintain steering and slide the tractor downhill straight. 

Seems like a deer always runs down hill after being shot.  DRT shots would be great but those pesky things have a will to live (if for no other reason but to punish the harvester).  

The lists could go on...

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Resonator

Summed up as "Gravity... the free low maintenance option."

I've also learned snow plowing (or especially bulldozing) works best going downhill. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Wlmedley

Got lucky when setting up my sawmill.Put it on a slight slope out from the barn.Didn't give a lot of thought how I was going to get logs on mill.I don't have a FIL.Thought maybe a pig pole would work.Didn't work very good especially with large logs.As luck would have it after building log deck slope works to my advantage.Can raise log high enough with log arch to get two timbers under it and with sloped ground can roll it over on deck and a couple short timbers between deck and mill and I'm all set.Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a 🌰 

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

barbender

I'm glad it worked out👍 I have a FIL, but I can't get him to roll logs🤷
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

You ain't seen nothing until you watch grain planting and harvest in Dufur, Oregon.  I swear those combines run on velcro instead of tires and the headers are hanging over the cliff edges on Rt 197 south of town.  Imagine driving a top heavy house up a 45+ degree incline and you get the feeling for what it's like there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I had to check some pictures out of the harvest in that area, I think you mentioned something about it before. Not for me. I work up and down hills, but not on the side of them😬
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Neighbor rolled a combine a few years ago turning on a slope in the lower corner of a field. Not much slope either. Turned a little sharp I think.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!