The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Telehandler. What to look for?  (Read 3664 times)

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
Re: Telehandler. What to look for?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2021, 08:03:44 AM »
I don't know the value of them. I do know they can be a pain to get between packs of lumber, especially if one is bent, and most have at least one that is. If they are more expensive maybe you can ask for a discount.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2021, 12:44:22 PM »
I'm still awaiting the salesman to get back to me with his best cash price.  We let him know the leaky front tire needed to be repaired, the forks swapped out, and delivery included in that best price.

A few years ago I found some brick forks for $50 each.  A friend bought a couple and I modified them to fit on a regular fork rack for his 30ish hp tractor.
Caveman

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2022, 09:20:44 PM »
Update on the telehandler.  Sometime around Christmas, the salesman called me with a price that seemed reasonable.  I offered to rent it for a week to ensure that it would serve our needs as we anticipated and if we decided to purchase, just apply the rental price to the purchase price.  He did not get back with me.  I saw the same machine is still for sale for several thousands more dollars now.

I found a 
2007 Gehl RS6-34 that looks like it should do what we need but I am not familiar with that machine.  Do any of you have any opinions or experience with this or a similar one?  This one has a JD engine.  It weighs quite a bit less than the Skytrak but could probably be hauled on our GN trailer in a pinch.
Caveman

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2022, 10:11:07 PM »
I take it that model is a 6,000 lb capacity, 34' reach?  That would do pretty well around a mill. Is that a 3 part boom (1 fixed section with 2 that tele out) or 4?  What's it weigh?  My SkyTrak is a beast at 26k.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2022, 11:11:22 PM »
This one is 6K lift and weighs around 16000 lbs.  I found an 8K, 44' that weighs 26000 lbs, which is similar to the 6k and 8k Skytraks we looked at.  The rs6 has about a 12' turning radius and the 8k has 13'.  The RS6 is 16' long and the 8k machine is 19'.  The 8k machine is nearby and the smaller machine is over on the east coast a couple of hours away. 
Caveman

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2022, 07:19:20 AM »
I have a few pieces of equipment with JD engines. I've put as high as 8-9000 hours on them before selling. Never had any trouble with them. With that being said I had bought most new and started the maintenance right to begin with. My telehandler has a JD engine. Had to replace the starter so far and it looks a little rough under the hood as there is a few leaks but it runs good. ;D
Rebel Auction is where I got mine at in Hazelhurst GA. They have a auction there every month. Either the first or second Thursday, I can't remember which. I didn't buy mine at the auction, I bought it directly from them. They will now and then buy a piece of equipment themselves and just sell it. Might give them a call and see if they have one.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2022, 10:06:43 AM »
Don't know about that machine in particular but I like my Gehl machines. Parts are reasonably priced and have good availability with a lot of things being available from outside vendors. I have 2 Gehl skid steers and love the heck out of it.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2022, 10:25:03 AM »
Yep. They make really good machines and have always had a good reputation 

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2022, 07:28:24 PM »
I'm back seeking advice on another telehandler.  Have any of you had experience with Bobcat Versahandler 518?  It has relatively low hours and a 100 hp Perkins engine.  This a smaller machine than most of what we have been looking at but it's size would be advantageous in many instances.  I could transport it on my bumper pull trailer behind my pickup, it would get into tight spots, and it will lift quite a bit more than my tractor.

I thought we had a good deal lined up a week ago on a Genie/Terex 10000 lb lift capacity, but it did not materialize.
Caveman

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2022, 09:20:33 PM »
Cavemen, I'll check what model Bobcat we have in town that is used at our transfer station next time I'm there.  

It's been in for a laundry list of repairs in the last 2 years.  To call it a turd would be an understatement. Boom issues, electrical issues, hydraulic problems. Some of the issues were caused by former "operator's" using the boom fully extended to crush glass and pack down refuse. I'll try and get the model, just so you can avoid getting the same one!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2022, 07:13:00 AM »
Thank you.
Caveman

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
Some of the issues were caused by former "operator's" using the boom fully extended to crush glass and pack down refuse.

Uhh, yeah, Guilty. I was doing that with construction debris in a big dumpster till I looked at the boom and its cylinder, the rollers, etc along the boom while I was doing it. Basically I was putting the weight of the machine on an extended boom, simply brilliant. I quit that foolishness pronto, it's cheaper to call for a haul!
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2022, 09:30:51 AM »
We used an 8K Bobcat at work, it was decent, pretty maneuverable, and was smooth to operate.  All our stuff was maintained by the motor pool, so I didnít notice it being broken down and out of service too much.  

The best we had was a Gehl, built like a tank and we used it everyday.  Not real comfortable, not real modern, no high tech, but it just worked, and it had a frame tilt feature which was great.

We ďsplurgedĒ and bought a Cat, everybody was all excited, and it was a total POS, and always spent time in the shop.  It was real twitchy, and the controls were a little erratic which is not what is wanted when handling explosives or doing lifts with the Safety Office guys watching.  What really torqued our britches was that it was bought for itís lift capacity and since we handled explosives and did overhead lifts, it had to be independently load tested and certified, (big certified weights are used) and it never met its advertised lift capacity, even after sending it back to Cat several times.  It was a big poop show, and the we derated it to certify it, and so killed any more Cat purchases for us.  It spent a lot of time in the shop and the Cat dealer.  It may have been a lemon, I donít know, we never considered buying another to find out, and Cat never made good on sending us a good one.  It had a good radio, nice air conditioner, comfortable seat, but was not a good telehandler.  We laughed and cussed at it a lot.    

Both the Bobcat and Gehl were successfully load tested and certified at their advertised capacities, and the guys and I liked using them because of their smoothness and predictability.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  So donít burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »
I have not ran a Bobcat version. I did go look at couple the other day that are here local. One was brand new '21 model from Italy and would be awesome once you are in it. The trouble is that it was a four step ladder to get in. I get in and out of mine to many times a day for that. The other was a Skytrack (sp). It was similar to my JLG except the boom controls. Instead of a joystick it had multiple leavers for the boom. Well I didn't think that would work trying to unload a log truck. Trying to move 3 leavers that are spread to far apart at the same time while operating the steering wheel and forward/reverse leaver. I could just see me putting a log on top of the truck or something.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2022, 05:02:44 PM »
Thanks fellows.  I don't usually get in a hurry to purchase anything and prefer to buy good deals rather than when I need something.  John and I will probably put a couple hours on a telehandler in a busy week, but it will give my tractor a longer lifespan and handle a lot more weight.  Peter had a nice CAT until its hydraulic system decided to self-destruct. The ones at the top of my list are Lull, Skytrack, Genie/Terex, Ghel, and the others can fall in behind.  I've heard that the Gradalls are good machines but with only rear steer, I think that may be a hinderance for our situation.  I did test a JCB, but I was dissuaded by a couple on here.  It was a nice machine, but I do not want something that parts are tough to get or are known to have transmission issues.

I have read that the Bobcats sometimes have issues with the transmission but that it is usually a relay or fuse and that the belly pan makes some maintenance issues a bit more challenging but for the right price I can tolerate a little inconvenience. 

At this stage of my life, I should be getting rid of things with batteries and tires instead of shopping for more, but I'm not a smart man. 

Offline Tom K

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2022, 07:47:08 AM »
I wouldn't cross Gradall off the list until you have tried one. It's been a few years since I've spent much time in any telehandlers, but I always thought the Gradalls were more maneuverable then the other breeds with 4 wheel steer. The back end turns sharp enough that you can pivot on the front tire. I know a Gradall was considerably more maneuverable then a Skytrack of similar size.

Most all of the construction companies in this area have always leaned towards Gradall. It wasn't until JLG bought out Gradall a few years ago that you started seeing some different color machines on job sights around here. We have a fleet of about 15 or so telehandlers at work and all of them are Gradall/JLG. They're just stupid simple and reliable. I think we've only sold 1 or 2 in the last 20 years. Some of the older ones have been rebuilt and have to have a boat load of hours.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2022, 08:28:08 AM »
At this stage of my life, I should be getting rid of things with batteries and tires instead of shopping for more, but I'm not a smart man.
Nah, now's the time to do the research and ask the questions, so you get the best, most reliable thing you can find (whatever make and model that is), and do a Forrest Gump and say "That's one less thing to worry about."
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wonít roll, its not a log; itís still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyíre burned, and you canít fix them.  So donít burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2022, 06:01:34 PM »
The towns evil telehandler is a Bobcat V417. If you'd like to look at it, just bring a match...I've already stuffed agas soaked rag in it's tank to provide light
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2022, 08:16:53 PM »
I use a 1044 Lull John Deere motor

With a 5 yard bucket to load chips
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2022, 10:19:46 PM »
That is a good-looking machine.  I look for them daily.  The prices locally have gone up probably 20-25% since this thread began.  We likely let a couple of good ones slip by.  John keeps predicting that construction around here will slow and there will be more available at lower prices.  I don't see a slowdown in sight.  

If I don't drive a road for a month or so, it seems new houses or warehouses have appeared out of nowhere.  Strawberry fields  
and citrus groves no more.

TomK, you've got me looking at Gradalls again.  There were some of them reasonably priced several months ago that we did not pull the trigger on.
Caveman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
JLG Telehandler

Started by Peter Drouin on General Board

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2017, 09:36:49 PM
by Peter Drouin
xx
Gehl telehandler

Started by dewwood on General Board

15 Replies
Last post March 15, 2022, 09:47:15 PM
by farmfromkansas