iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Telehandler. What to look for?

Started by caveman, October 19, 2021, 10:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom K

I wouldn't cross Gradall off the list until you have tried one. It's been a few years since I've spent much time in any telehandlers, but I always thought the Gradalls were more maneuverable then the other breeds with 4 wheel steer. The back end turns sharp enough that you can pivot on the front tire. I know a Gradall was considerably more maneuverable then a Skytrack of similar size.

Most all of the construction companies in this area have always leaned towards Gradall. It wasn't until JLG bought out Gradall a few years ago that you started seeing some different color machines on job sights around here. We have a fleet of about 15 or so telehandlers at work and all of them are Gradall/JLG. They're just stupid simple and reliable. I think we've only sold 1 or 2 in the last 20 years. Some of the older ones have been rebuilt and have to have a boat load of hours.

YellowHammer

Quote from: caveman on August 21, 2022, 05:02:44 PM
At this stage of my life, I should be getting rid of things with batteries and tires instead of shopping for more, but I'm not a smart man.
Nah, now's the time to do the research and ask the questions, so you get the best, most reliable thing you can find (whatever make and model that is), and do a Forrest Gump and say "That's one less thing to worry about."
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GRANITEstateMP

The towns evil telehandler is a Bobcat V417. If you'd like to look at it, just bring a match...I've already stuffed agas soaked rag in it's tank to provide light
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Peter Drouin

I use a 1044 Lull John Deere motor

With a 5 yard bucket to load chips
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

caveman

That is a good-looking machine.  I look for them daily.  The prices locally have gone up probably 20-25% since this thread began.  We likely let a couple of good ones slip by.  John keeps predicting that construction around here will slow and there will be more available at lower prices.  I don't see a slowdown in sight.  

If I don't drive a road for a month or so, it seems new houses or warehouses have appeared out of nowhere.  Strawberry fields  
and citrus groves no more.

TomK, you've got me looking at Gradalls again.  There were some of them reasonably priced several months ago that we did not pull the trigger on.
Caveman

newoodguy78

A builder I worked for had a gradall. Always liked the machine. Was easy on and off,nice smooth hydraulics, good dependable nothing fancy just got the job done type machine. Can't remember now what model. 

caveman

I looked at a Komatsu WA-75 loader last week.  It had a plethora of issues but now I'm wishing I would have bought it.  Today I drove about 3 1/2-4 hours round trip to look at another Skytrak 6036 that has a Cummins 4bt.  It seems like a decent machine, but it was not as advertised (I was told it did not have any leaks and that it was a 2000 model year).  Based on the engine and the axles, it was likely a 1990 and two guys had the boom hoisted up with another telehandler repacking a cylinder when I pulled up.  That did not bother me so much because it gave me more time to check out other stuff.  The new packing leaked too.  

The boom pads seemed to be in good enough shape.  The long cylinder that extends/contracts the boom did not leak but it had some pitting on the underside.  I'm not sure if that is an issue to be concerned with or not but that is likely an expensive cylinder.  The tires are foam filled but they are past shot out.  It steered in all positions and both driveshafts spun smoothly underway.  Brakes worked.  If it were $10K less, we'd probably be the new owners of old iron. The newer paint over old rust is ok.  The seat was comfortable and in good shape.  Most of the access panels did not have functioning latches but that is minor.  

The reason I passed on the Komatsu loader was because of blowby that I felt when I removed the fill cap in the valve cover while it was idling (it had 8000 hours).  Yesterday, I did the same on my M7040 Kubota that has 1330 hours and it seemed to have more and blew oil over my hand.  I was nearly sick to my stomach, thinking my engine may not be long for this world.  This morning, I did the same thing with the M7060 at school that has 130 hours and it also covered my hand with oil and had about the same amount of perceived pressure as my personal tractor.  As a rule, how much blowby is acceptable?  How much is a deal breaker for someone who has no interest in repairing a diesel?  Thank you. pr

Caveman

Southside

You would definitely want to re chrome that piston, otherwise it will keep taking the cap seal out.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Thank you, Southside.  I'll probably keep looking.  Even junky machines are commanding a premium locally.  I drove a little over 60 miles each way to look at this machine and the amount of residential and commercial construction since I drove that route last winter was staggering.  I must have driven past dozens of working excavators and loaders, several telehandlers and many more rollers and dump trucks.   
Caveman

Southside

The tire doesn't scare me, I had a foam filled one on my 644 that I ran until it was completely bald, and would throw dinner plate sized rubber chunks of rubber from under the tread when I ran it, the diameter was even smaller than the other tires and you would notice it when driving around, anyway I knew the foam was completely powder collapsed in that casing when I decided it was time to get a new one.  When they cut it off the rim the foam was actually untouched, not a speck of breakdown had happened, that stuff is beyond tough.  

I have a late '80s 1044 and a '92 644 and neither has those clean lines and that compact telescope design, my gut tells me that machine is closer to a 2000 than a 1990.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

caveman

I hope that y'all don't tell me "I told you so" on the JCB.  The rental/sales place in Plant City that we were looking at several months ago called me today and sent me a text with some pics of a very nice looking, relatively low hour JCB 506c that is significantly less than anything comparable we have looked at within the past year.  I'll probably go look at it tomorrow afternoon.

If you know things, good or bad, about this specific model, please share before tomorrow.  Thank you.  Kyle
Caveman

caveman

I went to Plant City and checked out the old JCB today.  It started and ran well.  The hoses were in good shape and generally looked like a good, older machine.  The transmission was a 4-speed with a clutch and a shuttle shifter on the column.  The parking brake did not work but the brakes did stop the machine.  The steering shaft bearings seemed to be worn but I've driven old Broncos for years so I can relate.  The transmission and engine were in line with each other.  I told the salesman I'd let him know something tomorrow, one way or the other.  

Again, if any of you have any input on this machine, especially the transmission, I'd like to hear it.  Thanks.
Caveman

customsawyer

I've never seen one with a clutch. Don't think I would like to be loading lumber or logs like that much. I've done it with my tractor and it isn't much fun.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

Thanks, Jake.  I did a poor job of describing the transmission/clutch.  Instead of having an electric speed selector, it has a clutch and a shifter to put it in one of the four speeds/gears.  It still has a shuttle shifter on the steering column.  It has a torque converter and does not require the use of the clutch to go from stop to go, to stop to reverse.
Caveman

newoodguy78

I think all that "clutch " pedal is is a transmission disconnect. It allows you to throttle up without moving or putting it in neutral. Quite common in construction equipment. Extending the boom a ways out or raising it up higher are situations that those pedals are handy.

caveman

We ended up getting the JCB.  I like it better today, after getting it home, than I did yesterday.  For our use, I think it will suffice.  If it falls short of our expectations, we should be able to sell it without taking too much of a beating as long as it does not have a catastrophic failure.  For a machine of this size, it is pretty agile.  I appreciate all of advice given.  We wanted something that would not require a lot of work.  This machine has a few issues that we will work through.  The E-brake does not work but the elevation changes on the 10 acres where it will be used is probably less than 1' except for the pond.  We will probably wire up lights, add mirrors and correct the wiring for the temp gauge.  
Caveman

Andries

Finally! You've been looking a long time - congratulations!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

Good deal. I'm with SS we need some pictures or your going to make one of us drive down there. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

I think it would be awesome for y'all to come down here but I'm leaving this weekend to go to Indy for a week with the forestry team.  

Caveman

Peter Drouin

smiley_thumbsup smiley_beertoast
Now you will be stacking stuff all over. Moving, cleaning up the yard with that reach.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Oh Wow, :o  that is a fine looking machine!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

That's a nice one.  E- brakes are over rated anyway.  I drove a tractor for years without any, just turn the wheels and put the cage on the ground.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

E brakes? You know how much equipment I have had over the years that didn't even have brakes? I thought that was why you were supposed to drive with the loader low - in case you had to stop quickly.  :D :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!